Wed Dec 06 2017, 11:46AM
Description of Changes
[link]

Comments on Changes
[link]

A powerpoint clarifying the rules w/good graphics
[link]

Some comments, regarding the Out of bounds / nearfall change:
This does not change the definition of Out of Bounds, nor the criteria for an edge takedown... this simply changes when nearfall or fall can be awarded. HOWEVER, there has been clarification that indicates that feet/toes ARE NOT supporting points when wrestler's are "down on the mat"... so, if the defensive wrestler is on his back, completely out of bounds, and the top wrestler is chest to chest with a pinning combo (say half nelson), and the only thing he has on the mat are his feet, in bounds.... then they will be blown out of bounds. If that same situation occurs, but his knees are on the mat, in bounds, then wrestling continues.... so you'd better start teaching your kids bad pinning technique on the edge of the mat.

Also, just a reminder, when on his back, the defensive wrestler's pinning area are his only supporting point, his feet or hips (or head?) don't count.

lastly.. make sure any shorts you buy for the new uniform have no belt loops, pockets, or external lacing... shirts must have a long back (for tucking), short sleeve, and minimal logo per federation rule.

oh, and suitable undergarments... jock strap not adequate, and in most cases, boxer shorts not appropriate.

dnowa
Wed Dec 06 2017, 03:54PM
Registered Member #4263
good clarification of the rule, and would encourage coaches to watch the powerpoint presentation. only thing I would add about the new uniform is that must be "school issued", so individuals should not be buying shorts that they think will be OK (not all of team has to be consistently dressed like relay racers in track), and watch out for that tricky rule about the manufacturer's logo (such as not appearing repeatedly around waistband)
Dex
Wed Dec 06 2017, 08:38PM
Registered Member #9365
What is the rational for requiring two knees down to be in bounds but two feet down are out of bounds? Why not just make it college out of bounds rules?
Renegade-Wrestler
Thu Dec 07 2017, 08:38AM
Registered Member #2264
If you watch this power point scroll all the way through it. North Carolina hits their coaches with huge fines for not going to coaches/Rule clinics and CPR/AED cert. Up to $500 for each one.
FlipU4Real
Thu Dec 07 2017, 12:22PM
Dex wrote ...

What is the rational for requiring two knees down to be in bounds but two feet down are out of bounds? Why not just make it college out of bounds rules?

I would love to know!!! Most referees that I've talked to do not like the interpretation, BUT the rules interpreters from all the New England states conferred, as well as communicated with national, as this is what was agreed upon. I would recommend that coaches communicate their concern to the "coaches rep".. (I'm not sure who that is, or what the official title is... maybe Manny Costa?) and have them contact NFHS.

Personally, i think it's a screw up. Rulebook says something to the effect of "when down on the mat, the usual supporting points are knees, hips, buttocks, etc..." but does not list feet. They are trying to be consistent with this... but I think feet, when bearing weight, should be supporting points even when down on the mat.

I can see if the feet are in, right at the circle, then this might allow too much wrestling far outside the circle... but if the knees are up, but "in the cylinder", wrestling should continue.

So, point is... don't shoot the messengers... the ref's have been instructed to call it this way, whether they like it or not!

One thing I will say... is that many high schools will need larger mats (or even larger gyms ) before we can go to the college rule.
steven93921
Mon Dec 11 2017, 04:12PM
Registered Member #14599
I would still like it go to the college rule. It would be so much easier. If any part of either wrestler contacts off the mat (gym floor, wall or a coach/bench player/spectator) it is out of bounds. If both wrestlers are completely out of the circle it is out of bounds.

That is simple and easy. It will take some of the officials a bit of time to handle the new rules and it allows the proper calls to be made for smaller mats or smaller gyms.
Go to page:          << Previous thread | Next thread >>

Jump:     Back to top

Moderators: Mike Atlas, FlipU4Real, matchamp99
Click to see our RSS feeds available -->
Recent Wrestling Boxscores
see all | submit | rss

12/09/2017----------
West Springfield-66
Smith Vocational-18
12/09/2017----------
West Springfield-66
Northampton-0
12/09/2017----------
West Springfield-64
Westfield-18
Newest Posts
Re: 1992 Massachusetts Division 2 State Tournament Videos
What other years do you have?
Posted by jmachinder
Dec 13 17 : 00:16

Re: Wrestling Commercial Casting
Thank you for all of the submissions. We now ...
Posted by Geoffrey Riccio
Dec 12 17 : 14:18

Steve Mocco Wrestling Clinic 12-14-17
2x NCAA Champion Steve Mocco Will be doing a ...
Posted by BearsWrestlingClub
Dec 12 17 : 11:08

OPEN MATS SCRIMMAGE IN HAVERHILL
When: Saturday 12/16 8am-10amWhere: Pentucke...
Posted by Haverhill Youth Wrestlin
Dec 12 17 : 10:55

Re: Little Wildcats Youth Wrestling Tourn. @ Whittier Tech. H.S. = Sunday, Dec. 17th, 2017
The little wildcat is a really good opportuni...
Posted by Haverhill Youth Wrestlin
Dec 12 17 : 10:51

Scituate Opener Results
Click Here
Posted by plm_77
Dec 11 17 : 21:46

Devin Ness Results
Full ResultsClick Here
Posted by plm_77
Dec 11 17 : 21:19

Support MassWrestling. Click a link!