Support MassWrestling. Click a link!

Forums
MassWrestling.com :: Forums :: General Discussion

Wrestling shoes for beginners/amateurs 
FrankyM
Tue Nov 14 2017, 08:56AM
Registered Member #15374
Hello,

I was unable to find a similar thread or a category, so I decided to ask my question here.

i have been trying to figure out what would be the best options of picking wrestling shoes. Since I've just started out, it's kind of hard. I asked for advice from my peers and other people who hang around the gym. However, their suggestions didn't really satisfy me.

I then started to browse on the internet, looking for the list of recommendations, etc. Stumbled upon [link] and thought that their list is pretty decent. However, in my opinion it wouldn't be that wise to dive into it without getting to try the shoes on myself.

Perhaps you guys could provide some feedback on that list, or should I just give up and try to look for something at a local market/store or w/e. I hate going shoe shopping and cloth shopping in general, that's why I'm looking for a way to avoid all those lines and annoying people.

Anyway, hope some of you can help me out. Thank you.
FlipU4Real
Tue Nov 14 2017, 11:37AM
Registered Member #571
Franky... I hate to say it, but sometimes the most boring and/or seeming least helpful advice... is really the best advice.

The most important things, by far, are fit and comfort... so as annoying as it is to go to the store... I'd really recommend going into a store and trying a bunch on.

A fancier pair is not going to make you a better wrestler, but a pair that doesn't fit right will either make you dislike wearing them, or if they're too loose or too long, can hurt your footing and/or trip you up.

Everything else will be personal preference... Personally, I always liked Asics because they seemed to fit me the best, but try out any of the major brands. Adidas are hugely popular, and I think Nike may have good shoes also. I also liked a fairly smooth bottomed shoe without a lot of thick rubber on the bottom... but that was just me.

Whirlaway sports in Methuen used to have a great selection... I'm sure other people can point you to other local stores.

and seriously... don't spend a fortune for your first pair. Under $100 for sure, but you can probably find some for $50-$60...
Go to page:          << Previous thread | Next thread >>

Jump:     Back to top

Moderators: Mike Atlas, CoachMiller, The Rankings Team, JMode, Shvarts, eoghanjames, Jim Maher, plm_77, jubele135, Hill Billy, psch, tourneygeek, NE_07, Sam Shames, Chicken Wing Coach, New England Rankings, matchamp99, Nuge
Click to see our RSS feeds available -->
Recent Wrestling Boxscores
see all | submit | rss

02/09/2017----------
Barnstable-40
Plymouth North-15
02/08/2017----------
Weymouth-17
Walpole-52
02/08/2017----------
North Attleboro-51
Oliver Ames-12
Newest Posts
Kryptonite Wrestling Klub Youth Tournament
For the past 15 years the Kryptonite Wrestlin...
Posted by HasBeen140
Nov 24 17 : 12:24

Re: '17-'18 Season Kickoff Clinic
I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving, we ...
Posted by Donald.m.mcneil
Nov 24 17 : 11:36

Scituate Wrestling Open Dates
Scituate is looking to fill either 1/17/18 or...
Posted by SciCoach
Nov 24 17 : 01:21

Mt.Hope Wrestling tournament 12/9/17 Bristol RI
We have a couple of openings in our tournamen...
Posted by wrestlin365
Nov 22 17 : 18:05

Re: NCAA D-I Nat'l. Wrestling Tourn. Forges New MMA Talent
Oklahoma All-American Jake Hager signs with B...
Posted by Chicken Wing Coach
Nov 20 17 : 22:01

Re: NCAA D-I Nat'l. Wrestling Tourn. Forges New MMA Talent
Vision Quest MMA - Class of 2006: (15 members...
Nov 20 17 : 21:58

It all started with Wrestling, says Billionaire Owner of Philadelphia 76ers.
Forbes Billionaires: https://www.forbes.com/s...
Nov 20 17 : 21:51

Support MassWrestling. Click a link!