Members: 9719
Newest: Mt Pleasant Wrestling
Support MassWrestling. Click a link!

Forums :: Forums :: General Discussion

The Next Chapter of MassWrestling 
Sam Shames
Sat Oct 22 2016, 10:55AM

Dear Masswrestling Community,

For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Sam Shames, and I wrestled for Newton North High School from 2006-10 and at MIT from 2010-14. Today I am an assistant coach at MIT and volunteer across the wrestling community. I am writing to announce that as of today I am taking ownership over from Mike Atlas.

Mike took over the site in 2004 from its creator, Ted Chan, and has done a great service to wrestlers across the state these past twelve years. During his time running the site, Mike created many of the features we’ve come to love and use regularly, and has spent many hours over the years filming the Lowell Holiday, All-State, and New England Tournaments so those who could not attend could watch. I personally watched Mike’s film of the 2007 New England finals more times than I can count, and was completely inspired by the 103lbs match. These past few years Mike has not been able to devote as much time to the site, and this summer he asked me to take it over from him. As we get ready for to enter the next chapter of MassWrestling, please join me in thanking Mike for his work and all he has done to support and grow wrestling.

In the age of smartphones and social media, we members of the Masswrestling community have the opportunity to leverage this site to grow our sport and share what we love. I hope to work with you all to amplify what we love about this site, change what we dislike, and come up with new ideas to add value to wrestlers, fans, and parents across the state. I already have several ideas for new features, including regular interviews with legends and locals and highlighting the best user-submitted takedowns each week during the season. More importantly though, I want to hear from you all about what you like about the site, opportunities for improvement, and any other new ideas or features you want to add.

More than anything else, wrestling has made me into the person I am today, and paying it forward by giving back to this community is one of my biggest dreams. I look forward to getting to know as many of you as possible and working with you all to grow wrestling in Massachusetts and beyond. If you are interested in helping or want to share ideas for the site, please email me at -email-.

Yours in wrestling,
Sam Shames
Mon Oct 24 2016, 08:47AM
Registered Member #1284
Hey Mike Thank You everything you have done for the sport of wrestling you will be missed again Thanks. And congrats to Sam good luck you will do a great job need anything just give me a call Coach Mark Donovan Shawsheen Valley Technical High School
Go to page:          << Previous thread | Next thread >>

Jump:     Back to top

Moderators: Mike Atlas, CoachMiller, The Rankings Team, JMode, Shvarts, eoghanjames, Jim Maher, plm_77, jubele135, Hill Billy, psch, tourneygeek, NE_07, Sam Shames, Chicken Wing Coach, New England Rankings, matchamp99
Click to see our RSS feeds available -->
Recent Wrestling Boxscores
see all | submit | rss

Central Catholic-35
Plymouth North-33
Newest Posts
Cliff Keen USAW Preseason Nationals - UNI Dome, Cedar Falls, Iowa - Nov. 5 & 6, 2016
Over 1500 wrestlers from 38 states already re...
Posted by Chicken Wing Coach
Oct 25 16 : 19:29

Re: Olympic, World & NCAA Champion Kyle Snyder: 'I want to Fight UFC'
UFC stars agree Kyle Snyder could be the best...
Oct 25 16 : 19:23

Re: S.T.C.C. Collegiate Open & H.S. Wrestling Tournament - Sat. Oct. 29th, 2016 (College Rules)
Oct 25 16 : 18:52

one team needed for a quad
Cohasset is looking for a 4th team to fill a ...
Posted by mike smith
Oct 25 16 : 06:45

Castleton University Recruit Form
Posted by CSUCOACH
Oct 25 16 : 05:34

Re: Springfield College Wrestling Recruiting Form
Posted by SpfldCollege_Wrestling
Oct 24 16 : 20:33

Re: 2016-2017 Youth Tournament Schedule
11/19/16 is In Bristol, CT, not Danbury.
Posted by CoachLISH
Oct 24 16 : 19:51

Support MassWrestling. Click a link!