Support MassWrestling. Click a link!

Forums
MassWrestling.com :: Forums :: General Discussion

FloNationals 
coachskp
Thu Apr 02 2015, 09:13AM
Registered Member #847
Any MA or New England kids going?
the site doesn't allow for an easy review of where kids are from - it only lists a HS or Club name
I didn't see any I names recognized from MA with a quick run down the list
JasonEzraGanz
Mon Apr 06 2015, 09:42AM
Registered Member #14151
[link]

here are the results. I didnt see any MA entries and 1 NH entry and 2 CT entries. Seems much smaller than the NHSCA event. Wasnt Fritz Hoehn supposed to wrestle here as opposed to NHSCA?
coachskp
Mon Apr 06 2015, 09:45AM
Registered Member #847
MA (and New England) well represented at Flo - MA coming in tied for 32nd place out 32 teams with no points or wrestlers.
only one wreslter signed up from MA and I am assuming he did not wrestle (AJ Pedro)
CT also had one kid sign up (Emmitt Licastro 0-2) with 0 team points
NH came in 26th with one wrestler (Josh Hemintakoon 2-2) with 2.5 team points
pretty good showing.....
MatBurn
Mon Apr 06 2015, 12:46PM
Registered Member #3953
[quote]
[link]

here are the results. I didnt see any MA entries and 1 NH entry and 2 CT entries. Seems much smaller than the NHSCA event. Wasnt Fritz Hoehn supposed to wrestle here as opposed to NHSCA?
[/quote1428342251]

Somebody in one thread speculated that he'd be going to Flo after not wrestling in NHSCA, but I don't think that was from a reliable source or ever confirmed. He's probably taking some time off, something you'll see with a lot of top guys who are already committed to a school. Multi-time AA and now All-State and NE champ, he has nothing else to prove at the high school level.
nb135
Mon Apr 06 2015, 01:47PM
Registered Member #6515
In the other thread I put that in my opinion as in past years for our top wrestlers it has been a common theme that if you don't go to NHSCA's they go to Flo but this year that was not the case
JasonEzraGanz
Mon Apr 06 2015, 02:20PM
Registered Member #14151
There is obviously the cost component to these national tournaments. It can be prohibitive to some wrestlers to attend these with travel, hotels, and enrollment fee considered.That being said MA and New England did send a solid contingent to NHSCA nationals. If you look at the Flonationals brackets you could see that there were not as many states represented and the vast majority of wrestlers were from Pennsylvania, Ohio, and California.
nb135
Mon Apr 06 2015, 04:26PM
Registered Member #6515
JasonEzraGanz wrote ...

There is obviously the cost component to these national tournaments. It can be prohibitive to some wrestlers to attend these with travel, hotels, and enrollment fee considered.That being said MA and New England did send a solid contingent to NHSCA nationals. If you look at the Flonationals brackets you could see that there were not as many states represented and the vast majority of wrestlers were from Pennsylvania, Ohio, and California.

I really dont think Cost is a big issue. For most of these top guys they have spent decent amount of money in the offseason to get to the level there on
youthwrestlingdad
Thu Apr 09 2015, 10:29AM
Registered Member #11006
coachskp wrote ...

MA (and New England) well represented at Flo - MA coming in tied for 32nd place out 32 teams with no points or wrestlers.
only one wreslter signed up from MA and I am assuming he did not wrestle (AJ Pedro)
pretty good showing.....

really ? I guess your mom forgot to tell you that if you cannot say anything nice do not say anything at all.

As previously discussed, New England kids went to Virgina Nationals (and the vast majority have done so for the past several years) which are by grade so you have a better chance to place and get noticed by colleges. And they did well.

Guys like Fritz are done with HS. Placed at Virgina last year as a junior and is going to Edinboro....done with hs tournaments....

although I know you are disappointed and wanted to live vicariously through him.

MA/NH is hockey country. we do just fine in wrestling for what we are. A waste of time to compare to PA OH and CA etc...instead of making negative comments, work on developing youth wrestling.

The true benefits of wresting are working hard, improving, gaining confidence in yourself, and transferring those skills and beliefs to a successful life. A small percentage move on and wrestle in college and even fewer go D1. The MA wrestling community is great just as it is.

It is really tiresome to continually see people like you making moronic comments on this site....I have said this before - Think before you press SEND....
FlipU4Real
Thu Apr 09 2015, 12:31PM
Registered Member #571
youthwrestlingdad wrote ...

coachskp wrote ...

pretty good showing.....

really ? I guess your mom forgot to tell you that if you cannot say anything nice do not say anything at all.

As previously discussed, New England kids went to Virgina Nationals (and the vast majority have done so for the past several years) which are by grade so you have a better chance to place and get noticed by colleges. And they did well.

Guys like Fritz are done with HS. Placed at Virgina last year as a junior and is going to Edinboro....done with hs tournaments....

although I know you are disappointed and wanted to live vicariously through him.

MA/NH is hockey country. we do just fine in wrestling for what we are. A waste of time to compare to PA OH and CA etc...instead of making negative comments, work on developing youth wrestling.

The true benefits of wresting are working hard, improving, gaining confidence in yourself, and transferring those skills and beliefs to a successful life. A small percentage move on and wrestle in college and even fewer go D1. The MA wrestling community is great just as it is.

It is really tiresome to continually see people like you making moronic comments on this site....I have said this before - Think before you press SEND....

Guess your mom never told you to know who or what you're talking about before you open your mouth?
I agree Coach's comments could have been more positive... but he's been around the block, I'm guessing more than you.
NABC
Thu Apr 09 2015, 06:33PM
Registered Member #907
I have no issue with what coachsp wrote - the facts are the facts. I see no reason that they can't be posted and commented on.
Medic5392
Fri Apr 10 2015, 05:11AM
Registered Member #6539
NABC wrote ...

I have no issue with what coachsp wrote - the facts are the facts. I see no reason that they can't be posted and commented on.

No one should have a problem with it, but so many people today are hypersensitive, false self-esteem pushing , feel good Nancy Boys that they get offended at any dose of blunt honesty.
coachskp
Fri Apr 10 2015, 08:26AM
Registered Member #847

coachskp wrote ...

pretty good showing.....

mom had nothing to do with that post although she would probably agree with me - I will ask her this weekend when I see her
As far as your assumption that my post had something to do with my desire to live vicariously through one specific individual or even the MA wrestling community as a whole, well maybe your mom pointed out to you what happens you assume.....
My post had more to do with the fact that I thought it was unfortunate that not a single MA wrestler (and only two from New England) felt compelled to go to one of the most competitive off-season tournaments in the country.
You can continue to be satisfied with the status quo, "The MA wrestling community is great just as it is", I will continue to work to improve MA wrestling as a whole.
Everyone benefits when competitive individuals go these events (regardless of their performance) and then bring that experience back to their HS or Club room (unless you're Allen Iverson [link] ) where they can pass that on to their team mates
Not going to apologize because I am not really sorry - I merely pointed out facts that you somehow found a way to be offended by, and that will probably happen again.
I understand there is a plethora of off-season opportunities ( [link] ) and I also feel that kids today specialize far too much without taking time off to cross-train for a different sport or recover particularly at the youth level (which I consider to be under 14) which is resulting in a spike in youth ortho injuries ( [link] )
my point was really that I thought it would have been good for MA wrestling and New England as whole to be represented at this type of tournament

Thinking........Send
NEU_wrestling
Fri Apr 10 2015, 08:45AM
Registered Member #12671
MA wrestling should be better and I have no problem with coaches comments either. In order to be the best, at least compete with the best kid sin the country to know where you stand. Its an off season tournament and Virginia is a watered down tournament now since Flo came into the picture. I give all the kids credit for earning AA honors at that tournament, not going to take that away.
If kids want to earn the respect, go out and compete. Look at what some kids did, Super32, Ironhorse, Eastern, those are where the competition is and they need to learn how to battle and grind our 3-2 wins. It would be great to be recognized and have names in the rankings with states like NJ, PA, NY, OH, CA.
mray
Fri Apr 10 2015, 10:13AM
Registered Member #278
[quote]

coachskp wrote ...

pretty good showing.....

mom had nothing to do with that post although she would probably agree with me - I will ask her this weekend when I see her
As far as your assumption that my post had something to do with my desire to live vicariously through one specific individual or even the MA wrestling community as a whole, well maybe your mom pointed out to you what happens you assume.....
My post had more to do with the fact that I thought it was unfortunate that not a single MA wrestler (and only two from New England) felt compelled to go to one of the most competitive off-season tournaments in the country.
You can continue to be satisfied with the status quo, "The MA wrestling community is great just as it is", I will continue to work to improve MA wrestling as a whole.
Everyone benefits when competitive individuals go these events (regardless of their performance) and then bring that experience back to their HS or Club room (unless you're Allen Iverson [link] ) where they can pass that on to their team mates
Not going to apologize because I am not really sorry - I merely pointed out facts that you somehow found a way to be offended by, and that will probably happen again.
I understand there is a plethora of off-season opportunities ( [link] ) and I also feel that kids today specialize far too much without taking time off to cross-train for a different sport or recover particularly at the youth level (which I consider to be under 14) which is resulting in a spike in youth ortho injuries ( [link] )
my point was really that I thought it would have been good for MA wrestling and New England as whole to be represented at this type of tournament

Thinking........Send
[/quote1428677845]

Very well said and supported. Wrestling is supposed to develop "Backbone" rather than "wishbone" but it seems we have some folks who get too offended. I've been called old and also chastised for mentioning my roots or the olden days. I could care less about that as I am old and I'm very proud of my roots. Been awfully lucky as a matter of fact. If people can't discuss things on a forum board then what is the use of having one. Skp was not at all bashing Mass wrestlers but simply stating that there were none who appeared at this outstanding tournament. My issue is about the cost of these tourneys for the families and the wrestlers. Also what is this that a coach has to pay to get on the floor and coach? It's absurd. However this seems to be the name of the game these days. My school is now going to charge me a fee to volunteer my time to open up the room and let kids wrestle during the Spring and Summer. I don't coach because I do follow the rules but as I invite people in , for free, to run the sessions and give up their free time for area kids , the school wants to collect. We do not charge so the only people who want to charge is the school. Crazy. Glad I'm on the tail end of this profession called education. I would like to get a job going around and helping people improve educational/athletic programs but looking at the way we administrate and run the All-State Tournament I'm not sure I could be of any value as I would expect a first class operation or at least trying to run one as such.
LibertyMikeC
Fri Apr 10 2015, 01:00PM
Registered Member #8105
I took my freshman son to NHSCA tournament in Virginia this year and maybe if FloNats were a month away we would go to that as well...however can't afford back to back weekends of entry fees / spectator/coach's fees, hotel, etc.. I love that Flowrestling exists and I do pay for a membership to watch the live events, however they have added into the idea of "watering down" tournaments out of their greed for $$. When they started the Flo Nationals it was on the same weekend as the long standing NHSCA and people had to choose..and then Flo moved it to the following weekend last year, so now there are a few that go to both, but mostly only the kids that live closer to the events can do both.

excerpt from email I received from NHSCA: "The 26th Annual NHSCA National High School Wrestling Championships is in the books and was another record-breaking year with 3,670 wrestlers from 47 states and one European county. This marked the largest turnout to date in the 26 year history"

.. one small observation that stuck with me: Sammy Sasso, a PA Freshman took 2nd in Freshman Nats at 132 with 3 pound allowance, he was beat by Florida Freshman named Aranoff 10-6, and the match wasn't as close as the score would indicate. Then Sasso took 3rd in FloNats at 120 with a 5 pound allowance. Aranoff didn't attend the event (so there were plenty of really good wrestlers who did NHSCA and not FloNats and vice versa I'm sure).. And Flo was charging to view their coverage of NHSCA matches as well.

In past years everyone said Super 32 was the toughest preseason tournament in the Nation (toughest for HS, the Super 32 caps the participation of the Middle school division to around 400 wrestlers total, so crap shoot how tough brackets might be)...and then suddenly the Freak Show tournament in Vegas pops up a few years ago and it's on the same exact weekend as Super 32...and both are sponsored by FLO.. this year their facebook postings were "stud alerts" of all the western state champs that were going to the Freak Show.. Flo was promoting both of these tournaments as the toughest preseason tournament...lol. There are alot of good tournaments for wrestlers to attend and that is a great thing, however I have a hard time buying anymore that 1 "national" tournament is any better than another, since there is no way the best wrestlers are only going to a specific one anymore. Families/groups will go to the tournament that they can get the most out of and fits into their schedule..
RJW
Fri Apr 10 2015, 01:31PM
Registered Member #11515
Let me add this...

My student-athlete missed 2 days of school for NHSCA in VA. He's a straight A student and All-State wrestler. One national event was enough to see where he stands. It takes days to catch up with schoolwork and we've given up every weekend for 3 months. Time to regroup, heal and look forward to the big summer tourneys.
Medic5392
Fri Apr 10 2015, 03:19PM
Registered Member #6539
LibertyMikeC wrote ...

I took my freshman son to NHSCA tournament in Virginia this year and maybe if FloNats were a month away we would go to that as well...however can't afford back to back weekends of entry fees / spectator/coach's fees, hotel, etc.. I love that Flowrestling exists and I do pay for a membership to watch the live events, however they have added into the idea of "watering down" tournaments out of their greed for $$. When they started the Flo Nationals it was on the same weekend as the long standing NHSCA and people had to choose..and then Flo moved it to the following weekend last year, so now there are a few that go to both, but mostly only the kids that live closer to the events can do both.

excerpt from email I received from NHSCA: "The 26th Annual NHSCA National High School Wrestling Championships is in the books and was another record-breaking year with 3,670 wrestlers from 47 states and one European county. This marked the largest turnout to date in the 26 year history"

.. one small observation that stuck with me: Sammy Sasso, a PA Freshman took 2nd in Freshman Nats at 132 with 3 pound allowance, he was beat by Florida Freshman named Aranoff 10-6, and the match wasn't as close as the score would indicate. Then Sasso took 3rd in FloNats at 120 with a 5 pound allowance. Aranoff didn't attend the event (so there were plenty of really good wrestlers who did NHSCA and not FloNats and vice versa I'm sure).. And Flo was charging to view their coverage of NHSCA matches as well.

In past years everyone said Super 32 was the toughest preseason tournament in the Nation (toughest for HS, the Super 32 caps the participation of the Middle school division to around 400 wrestlers total, so crap shoot how tough brackets might be)...and then suddenly the Freak Show tournament in Vegas pops up a few years ago and it's on the same exact weekend as Super 32...and both are sponsored by FLO.. this year their facebook postings were "stud alerts" of all the western state champs that were going to the Freak Show.. Flo was promoting both of these tournaments as the toughest preseason tournament...lol. There are alot of good tournaments for wrestlers to attend and that is a great thing, however I have a hard time buying anymore that 1 "national" tournament is any better than another, since there is no way the best wrestlers are only going to a specific one anymore. Families/groups will go to the tournament that they can get the most out of and fits into their schedule..

Liberty, I agree with you on Flo, but I do not think the Coach was talking about going to both tournaments, just that you should go to one of those tournaments and that so many kids skipped both tournaments is not a good thing. CT had a better turn out for Virginia Beach and it will show down the road. I think he was simply saying that it was sad that so many kids did not go to at least one of the major National High School Tournaments, in reply some people got their panties in a bunch for him calling the state out on it and over reacted as so many will do today. Truth hurts feelings at times, that is life. You are a great dad for doing that for your kid, glad some people still push on!
montytech160
Mon Apr 13 2015, 09:44AM
Registered Member #13806
coachskp wrote ...

pretty good showing.....

Although one person was offended, I actually found this post quite hilarious.
snowstorm
Tue Apr 14 2015, 08:14PM
Registered Member #11819
c'mon, call it what it is - to say that MA was "well represented" when no kids attended and to throw in a "good showing" comment after pointing out that two kids from CT and NH tallied just 2.5 points is clearly a sarcastic cheap shot at MA, CT and NH high school wrestlers. MA was "well represented" in post season national tournaments by the 45 kids who went to NHSCA (not sure how many CT and NH kids went) and with quite a few of them placing they clearly had a "pretty good showing" at the national level.
montytech160
Wed Apr 15 2015, 06:21AM
Registered Member #13806
snowstorm wrote ...

c'mon, call it what it is - to say that MA was "well represented" when no kids attended and to throw in a "good showing" comment after pointing out that two kids from CT and NH tallied just 2.5 points is clearly a sarcastic cheap shot at MA, CT and NH high school wrestlers. MA was "well represented" in post season national tournaments by the 45 kids who went to NHSCA (not sure how many CT and NH kids went) and with quite a few of them placing they clearly had a "pretty good showing" at the national level.

Obviously they did have showing at a National level. Just not at Flonationals but that's because nobody showed up. Not lack of talent.
Go to page:          << Previous thread | Next thread >>

Jump:     Back to top

Moderators: Mike Atlas, CoachMiller, The Rankings Team, JMode, Shvarts, eoghanjames, Jim Maher, plm_77, jubele135, Hill Billy, psch, tourneygeek, NE_07, Sam Shames, Chicken Wing Coach, New England Rankings, matchamp99, Nuge
Click to see our RSS feeds available -->
Recent Wrestling Boxscores
see all | submit | rss

02/09/2017----------
Barnstable-40
Plymouth North-15
02/08/2017----------
Weymouth-17
Walpole-52
02/08/2017----------
North Attleboro-51
Oliver Ames-12
Newest Posts
Re: 2017 Women's/Girls Wrestling event calendar
K-12 Precision Valley Classic GIRLS VT State ...
Posted by GreenMtnMom
Feb 20 17 : 12:17

Re: 2016-2017 Youth Tournament Schedule
Springfield VT tournaments on March 4th:K-8 S...
Posted by GreenMtnMom
Feb 20 17 : 12:15

TOURNAMENTS IN SPRINGFIELD, VT - MARCH 4th
Please add the following two tournaments in S...
Posted by GreenMtnMom
Feb 20 17 : 12:13

Re: 2017 Off-Season Events Schedule
New forum for VT Wrestling: http://vermontwr...
Posted by GreenMtnMom
Feb 20 17 : 12:12

All State Practices
DWC will be holding practice for all wrestler...
Posted by LoganDWC
Feb 19 17 : 20:48

Re: 2016-17 MIAA Post Season Tournament Links
Happyman44 wrote ...w1nbyp1n wrote ...All sta...
Posted by w1nbyp1n
Feb 19 17 : 20:41

North Attleboro JV Tournament is CLOSED
Sorry everyone,The event is FULL.We will NOT ...
Posted by North_Coach
Feb 19 17 : 20:37

Support MassWrestling. Click a link!