Newest: G. Krupp
Support MassWrestling. Click a link!

Forums
MassWrestling.com :: Forums :: College Wrestling

Cleveland State Wrestling Program Loses Funding 
Patsfan
Tue Mar 31 2015, 03:20AM
Registered Member #4545
Several New England wrestlers could be affected by this news.

[link]
pmoricone
Tue Mar 31 2015, 07:40AM
Registered Member #10256
Cleveland State already has more women's teams than men's. This is really too bad.
Maybe some will end up at Edinboro if they want to continue to compete
montytech160
Tue Mar 31 2015, 09:18AM
Registered Member #13806
"The decision to no longer fund wrestling at CSU was a very difficult one," if it was so hard they would've made the right decision and kept a 52 year old program going.
RJD44
Tue Mar 31 2015, 09:41AM
Registered Member #10151
Hi,

My son is directly affected by this decision along with RJ Labeef from CT and he is just like everyone else on the team in disbelief that this is happening. They were completely blindsided by the AD and all committed as student athletes to the school and the team. The team qualified 2 wrestlers to the NCAA Championships, 7-3 record on the year and beat Rider when they were ranked #18 in the country. Pretty impressive resume for the year. They are returning everyone of their starters accept for their 125 lb'er. The team is looking up and moving in the right direction.

With that all being said we as coaches, parents, fans, etc.. need to look at this as a slap in the face to our great sport. There is NO other sport like it!!! What can we do as advocates to help this program survive? If I was to put together a fund raiser night could I get support of MASSWRESTLING members to spread the word and help out? Every bit counts and now in times of struggle we all need to find away to support our beloved sport of wrestling.

I am open to suggestion and would really appreciate some feedback.

Best Regards,
Ray DeRosa
Coach Valenzuela
Tue Mar 31 2015, 10:55AM
Registered Member #11587
It never gets easier seeing this news each season, especially after having watched BU go through this last year (and many of the current BU wrestlers were important volunteers for Boston Youth Wrestling). We all took that one pretty personally.

However, I hope we can also point at that with yearly DI cuts and Olympics 2020, that we must look in the mirror, as well, and reflect on what the sport can do to better position ourselves. We are not one of the big three sports (football, basketball, baseball), and yet we are losing influence in college to other sports that no long ago were considered non-traditional also, i.e. lacrosse. Rather than pitting this as us vs. them, we should look at the success of the movement to reinstate Olympic wrestling in 2020 and beyond. FILA rebranded to UWW and made some important changes to the sport. Title I has not been this sports' friend, but one question to ask, is why aren't more colleges being encouraged to ADD women's wrestling alongside the men? Why did the MIAA sanction girls wrestling as a Spring sport, and yet we STILL haven't had a statewide season in three years!? Boston is going ahead with citywide all-girls wrestling team, and we will likely have to compete out of state just get these girls matches.

These kinds of decisions in our sport have repercussions, and it is my hope that we do more to encourage the survival of our sport than wait and react when a program is blindsided with a cut, but instead fight to ensure our sport grows. Wrestling doesn't breed victims. We are trained to be fighters, and I hope we look at this like we might look at this after a tough loss, and ask ourselves: How do we get better?

That being said, I am really saddened for the wrestlers at CSU, and for the parents, like Ray, who are dealing with this. I hope the whole community can rally around the team!
RJD44
Tue Mar 31 2015, 11:10AM
Registered Member #10151
Very Well Said Coach Valenzuela!

Coach Valenzuela wrote ...

It never gets easier seeing this news each season, especially after having watched BU go through this last year (and many of the current BU wrestlers were important volunteers for Boston Youth Wrestling). We all took that one pretty personally.

However, I hope we can also point at that with yearly DI cuts and Olympics 2020, that we must look in the mirror, as well, and reflect on what the sport can do to better position ourselves. We are not one of the big three sports (football, basketball, baseball), and yet we are losing influence in college to other sports that no long ago were considered non-traditional also, i.e. lacrosse. Rather than pitting this as us vs. them, we should look at the success of the movement to reinstate Olympic wrestling in 2020 and beyond. FILA rebranded to UWW and made some important changes to the sport. Title I has not been this sports' friend, but one question to ask, is why aren't more colleges being encouraged to ADD women's wrestling alongside the men? Why did the MIAA sanction girls wrestling as a Spring sport, and yet we STILL haven't had a statewide season in three years!? Boston is going ahead with citywide all-girls wrestling team, and we will likely have to compete out of state just get these girls matches.

These kinds of decisions in our sport have repercussions, and it is my hope that we do more to encourage the survival of our sport than wait and react when a program is blindsided with a cut, but instead fight to ensure our sport grows. Wrestling doesn't breed victims. We are trained to be fighters, and I hope we look at this like we might look at this after a tough loss, and ask ourselves: How do we get better?

That being said, I am really saddened for the wrestlers at CSU, and for the parents, like Ray, who are dealing with this. I hope the whole community can rally around the team!

NABC
Tue Mar 31 2015, 03:05PM
Registered Member #907

Announcement from Wrestlers In Business Network

John Licata

Executive Director/ Founder at Wrestlers In Business Network

Wow, a little over a week after Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby speaks of how our sport is in trouble unless we change our ways, two programs are notified they are getting axed. D2 Northern State and D1 Cleveland State are the victims.

Just after what our community stated was the best NCAA D1 Tourney ever. Guess that doesn't mean too much? If this can happen in Cleveland, where they had a D2 team Champion in Notre Dame College last year, where arguably the best wrestlers in the country come from, if it can happen in Cleveland where the D1 NCAA Tourney is scheduled, if it can happen in Cleveland where the NWCA All Star Classic kickoff is scheduled, it can happen anywhere! Its the home state of Congressman and wrestling champion Jim Jordan, St Paris Graham the best high school team in the country and the newly crowned NCAA Championship team, Ohio State. It can and will happen elsewhere!

Bowlsby's speech can be heard in its entirety on the [link] web site. Its an ear full, quite prophetic and eight minutes anyone who cares for our sport needs to hear. The message I heard and there are plenty of messages in the talk is that wrestling needs to change the way it views and manages itself, and it better have relevance in its community or no doubt it will suffer far greater losses!

When I heard the news about Northern State I felt similar as in the past; sad and unfortunate. When I heard about Cleveland State I wasn't shocked but I truly was surprised.

Today, after thinking about it, and seeing some and hearing behind the scenes conversations from some community leaders I feel we have a chance to turn this around.

Cleveland, along with DC, is the founding Chapter of the Wrestlers In Business Network. Its President, Aaron Grossman, is a prominent Cleveland businessman, and a there is a very strong National and Chapter Board with deep roots in Cleveland. I see this as an opportunity for our WIBN to distinguish itself. We are a nonprofit who gives all the time. What greater gift than this? Unlike other areas we are strong and well organized. The WIBN can be the vehicle to fight this good fight.

What can you do? Keep informed! Tell all of your friends and your personal network to go to the WIBN site, create a free profile and join our group. When a plan that will include pressure on the administration in a persuasive fashion is revealed take the time and be part of it.

Can something positive come from this? I believe so. Its certainly a fight worth fighting. In my view can be our Alamo!

But folks and let me be clear, this is endemic of a much larger issue that affects all wrestling programs across the land. We must deal with this. However, unless we deal with the much larger issues things will continue.

OK so, ultimately, my read from Bob Bowlsby is be organized and be relevant! No relevancy, no care!

All the best!

John Licata
Executive Director
703-928-5467

Respond Now

View

Chamberlain
Tue Mar 31 2015, 09:22PM
Registered Member #491
We need to not only get more kids onto the mats, we need to get more kids into the stands. Too many people are more than willing to make fun of our sport without ever seeing it. No other sport deals with the publics apathy and disdain like wrestling. I don't have the answers, but I think we need to explore any and all options whether it is cracking down on skin conditions, changing the uniforms to make the more visual appealing, or to making our dual meets a show. Maybe move them to 3:30 to get students into the stands. It comes down to exposure we don't get enough so the AD's feel they are wasting their money.
montytech160
Wed Apr 01 2015, 07:17AM
Registered Member #13806
Chamberlain wrote ...

We need to not only get more kids onto the mats, we need to get more kids into the stands. Too many people are more than willing to make fun of our sport without ever seeing it. No other sport deals with the publics apathy and disdain like wrestling. I don't have the answers, but I think we need to explore any and all options whether it is cracking down on skin conditions, changing the uniforms to make the more visual appealing, or to making our dual meets a show. Maybe move them to 3:30 to get students into the stands. It comes down to exposure we don't get enough so the AD's feel they are wasting their money.

I agree it's so hard being a wrestler when I go to my brother's basketball game and they have a ginormous fan club with matching t-shirts at any old game and then we get 5-10 people to come out for our Senior night.
Go to page:          << Previous thread | Next thread >>

Jump:     Back to top

Moderators: Mike Atlas, CoachMiller, The Rankings Team, JMode, Shvarts, eoghanjames, Jim Maher, plm_77, jubele135, Hill Billy, psch, tourneygeek, NE_07, Sam Shames, Chicken Wing Coach, New England Rankings, matchamp99, Nuge
Click to see our RSS feeds available -->
Recent Wrestling Boxscores
see all | submit | rss

02/09/2017----------
Barnstable-40
Plymouth North-15
02/08/2017----------
Weymouth-17
Walpole-52
02/08/2017----------
North Attleboro-51
Oliver Ames-12
Newest Posts
Re: Tournament February
Youth or High School?
Posted by GrayDawg
Aug 18 17 : 20:17

Tournament February
Im looking to start a tournament February 3rd...
Posted by Steve Sentes
Aug 18 17 : 15:38

Doughboy Fall Session
Just a reminder that the upcoming Fall High S...
Posted by LoganDWC
Aug 18 17 : 13:03

Super 32 Registration
FYISuper 32 in Greensboro, NC on Oct 27-29, e...
Posted by CoachDarl
Aug 18 17 : 06:24

Re: 2017 USA Wrestling Events
*Individual Folkstyle Tournament.*Sunday, Sep...
Posted by Chicken Wing Coach
Aug 15 17 : 16:16

Re: USA MASS Wrestling Tournament Schedule for 2017 / Next is Sun. Sept. 17th, 2017
Bump: Next event is on Sunday, September 17th...
Posted by Chicken Wing Coach
Aug 15 17 : 15:49

Re: 12 Weeks, 4 Nights, Fall Session starts 8/28
Pre-registration 8/22 5:30-7pm. Save $ on our...
Posted by Coach C
Aug 15 17 : 10:21

Support MassWrestling. Click a link!