MassWrestling.com :: Forums :: College Wrestling

NE Guys at D1  Go to page  1 2 [3]
Medic5392
Sat Mar 21 2015, 07:51PM
Registered Member #6539
[quote]
I posted this a few years ago.
This is all D1 All-Americans.

This site has all NCAA All-Americans but I'm not sure how updated it is.
[link]

Here is the breakdown it has by New England States.

State Wrestlers AA
Mass 8 11
RI 5 7
NH 2 3
Conn 4 4
VT 1 3

I found all of the Mass ones.

Wrestler Year Place Weight College High School Home State
John Harkness 1938 1st 175 Harvard Cambridge Mass
Ken Mallory 1978 1st 134 Montclair St Roxbury Mass
Colin Kilrain 1980 3rd 177 Lehigh Braintree Mass
Colin Kilrain 1981 3rd 177 Lehigh Braintree Mass
Colin Kilrain 1982 3rd 190 Lehigh Braintree Mass
Ham Munnell 1990 7th 190 Miami Ohio Weston Mass
Sam Kline 1999 3rd 174 West Virginia Amherst Mass
Dave Shunamon 2001 6th 197 Edinboro Tewksbury Mass
Matt Stolpinski 2007 7th 174 Navy Phillips Exeter Mass
Matt Stolpinski 2008 4th 174 Navy Phillips Exeter Mass
Vic Avery 2015 3rd 184 Edinboro Foxboro MA

Here are the other New England wrestlers I found.

John Engel 1931 1st 118 Lehigh Stamford CT
Scott Pucino 1976 5th 126 Rhode Island Coventry RI
Booker Benford 1984 3rd 177 SIU-Edwardsville Providence RI
Booker Benford 1985 3rd 177 SIU-Edwardsville Providence RI
Jim Guzzio 1997 5th 134 Maryland Daniel Hand CT
Orville Palmer 2000 7th 197 Oklahoma Middletown CT
Eric Bradley 2005 4th 184 Penn State Timberlane NH
Eric Bradley 2006 8th 184 Penn State Timberlane NH
Rob Hamlin 2011 2nd 184 Lehigh Mt. Mansfield VT
Rob Hamlin 2012 4th 184 Lehigh Mt. Mansfield VT
Rob Hamlin 2013 2nd 184 Lehigh Mt. Mansfield VT
Kevin Jack 2015 5th 141 N. Carolina St. Danbury CT
[/quote1426985473]

Link does not work.
matsense
Sat Mar 21 2015, 07:58PM
Registered Member #71
Great to see former Mass HS wrestler Angel Rivera reffing the NCAA Div. 1 finals tonight!
Shvarts
Sat Mar 21 2015, 08:40PM

Here is the correct link,
[link]
They used to have All-Americans by state (I can't find that page on the site anymore) but it seems like it wasn't completely accurate. I believe Jay Hammond, who's site it was passed away a few years ago.
Coach Valenzuela
Sat Mar 21 2015, 09:10PM
Registered Member #11587
JasonEzraGanz wrote ...

I know the % of HS in MA with teams has increased but Boston in reality has 1 team for such a large population of wrestlers. The same goes for Worcester the second largest city in MA. There should be more wrestlers coming from there. Another explanation is the relatively recent growth in middle school and younger wrestking. As this grows in MA we should close the gap.

I assume a comment like this has the best intentions, but I must correct you that Boston today has 15 wrestling programs throughout the city, serving students in grades K-12. We are today one of the largest youth programs in the state, and this will continue to resonate at the high school level in the future. This has been achieved through the support of many, small donations and some larger donations/grants (to date, we have invested over $60,000 in resources to wrestlers in the city in the last 2.5 years). This was assumed to be impossible just a short time ago. We now have a waiting list for schools requesting wrestling programs at their school.

Lastly, I hope we can all agree that producing All Americans from Massachusetts isn't the only goal (nor perhaps the most important goal) for determining the success we are having as a sport in this great state. We would love to put Boston on the map, so to speak, but the continued academic and personal success of our wrestlers is our ultimate goal. I know many coaches across the state and country would say the same.

Check us out on our website: [link]

p.s. Congratulations to Avery and Jack for their outstanding accomplishments!
Medic5392
Sun Mar 22 2015, 06:46AM
Registered Member #6539
I assume a comment like this has the best intentions, but I must correct you that Boston today has 15 wrestling programs throughout the city, serving students in grades K-12. We are today one of the largest youth programs in the state, and this will continue to resonate at the high school level in the future. This has been achieved through the support of many, small donations and some larger donations/grants (to date, we have invested over $60,000 in resources to wrestlers in the city in the last 2.5 years). This was assumed to be impossible just a short time ago. We now have a waiting list for schools requesting wrestling programs at their school.

I think the poster was referring to High School programs and he is right that Boston should have more, they should have their own league and city tournament. I just looked at that website, outside of Latin it appears that there are 3 or 4 other high school programs? Are they competing in the MIAA yet? Or are they still clubs? Why the waiting list, is it funding or coaches or both? Great job on getting this going Coach, very impressive!

By the way, I love the way you are doing the donations via online and direct at the website, I wish more programs, clubs and orgs would take advantage of that. Like maybe the Lowell Alumni for instance...cough...cough...
JasonEzraGanz
Sun Mar 22 2015, 08:18AM
Registered Member #14151
Medic is correct, as I was only trying to explain Massachusett's alleged lack of competitiveness vs other states. You are actively trying to remedy this with your laudable and Herculean efforts to improve the lives of Boston youth via wrestling. I imagine that eventually at the HS level the number of programs will increase as you are creating numerous young men and presumably women as well who will want to continue competing. It's still just Josiah Quincy and Boston Latin at the varsity level? Are there others at the club level? Once again great job Jose; more credit should be given to you!
JasonEzraGanz
Sun Mar 22 2015, 11:53AM
Registered Member #14151
According to the MIAA alignment page there should be a team from Dorchester/ tech Boston but on the D3 results page in the central section only Quincy upper has wrestlers. Either way Jose is laying the foundation for a lot of successful HS wrestlers regardless where they end up
coachskp
Mon Mar 23 2015, 12:48PM
Registered Member #847
Carlascooz wrote ...

If the number of D1 AAs were distributed evenly among the states based solely on population MA would have about 1.5 every season. I'm basing that on rough population estimates of 6M (Mass) and 300M (US). How is it possible that we have so much fewer than that? Is it the kids, the coaching, something else?

And before the easily offended jump all over me...chill out. I'm just asking a question.

see how many Men's hockey AAs there are from MA and I think that will (at least in part) answer your question...

CoachB
Mon Mar 23 2015, 01:39PM
Registered Member #303
coachskp wrote ...

Carlascooz wrote ...

If the number of D1 AAs were distributed evenly among the states based solely on population MA would have about 1.5 every season. I'm basing that on rough population estimates of 6M (Mass) and 300M (US). How is it possible that we have so much fewer than that? Is it the kids, the coaching, something else?

And before the easily offended jump all over me...chill out. I'm just asking a question.

see how many Men's hockey AAs there are from MA and I think that will (at least in part) answer your question...

I think you are at least partially correct, but Minnesota has more still (along with more wrestling placers) ... so there is something else going on here.
coachskp
Mon Mar 23 2015, 03:21PM
Registered Member #847
You're right MN (hockey) with 4 DI AA just last year and 4 wrestling AAs this year compared to 2 from New England - which is a banner year - anyone know if there has ever been another year with two New England AAs?

Population of MN is about 1.3M fewer than just MA (6.7 - 5.4)
New England combined is about 14.6M
So I think you are right
maybe MA is just a bunch of ........
CoachB
Mon Mar 23 2015, 03:31PM
Registered Member #303
coachskp wrote ...

You're right MN (hockey) with 4 DI AA just last year and 4 wrestling AAs this year compared to 2 from New England - which is a banner year - anyone know if there has ever been another year with two New England AAs?

Population of MN is about 1.3M fewer than just MA (6.7 - 5.4)
New England combined is about 14.6M
So I think you are right
maybe MA is just a bunch of ........

Well, I was just thinking more along the lines of: less to do in winter in MN; better college tradition; more former studs from collegiate programs coaching at high school (and lower) level; etc.
Coach Valenzuela
Tue Mar 31 2015, 10:45AM
Registered Member #11587
Medic5392 wrote ...

I think the poster was referring to High School programs and he is right that Boston should have more, they should have their own league and city tournament. I just looked at that website, outside of Latin it appears that there are 3 or 4 other high school programs? Are they competing in the MIAA yet? Or are they still clubs? Why the waiting list, is it funding or coaches or both? Great job on getting this going Coach, very impressive!

By the way, I love the way you are doing the donations via online and direct at the website, I wish more programs, clubs and orgs would take advantage of that. Like maybe the Lowell Alumni for instance...cough...cough...

Thanks for the encouragement! We have been very successful with our online campaigns, and we are really appreciative of all the support from the Mass community. This is far more than a wrestling program: we are a youth development program that teaches through the sport of wrestling. I think that language makes it easier for non-wrestlers to support us, they understand we are here to change lives first, wrestling is secondary to our mission. You are correct that Latin, JQUS and Dorchester are the only MIAA varsity teams in Boston. Madison Park HS and West Roxbury HS also have club teams, and Brighton HS has applied to the City (this is a new process) for a team. Although we are very hands-on at the K-8 level, we help our high schools with funding for mats, equipment, etc. As we continue to prove our model, I think BPS will be more interested in funding a city league. The waiting list is not around funding so much as capacity! I do a lot of this work by myself and with my board, and we are all volunteer. This really is a full-time job, so we are looking to fundraise to pay a salary for a full-time program director, hopefully for next year!
Go to page: Go to page  1 2 [3]          << Previous thread | Next thread >>

Jump:     Back to top

Moderators: Mike Atlas, CoachMiller, The Rankings Team, JMode, Shvarts, eoghanjames, Jim Maher, plm_77, jubele135, Hill Billy, psch, tourneygeek, NE_07, Sam Shames, Chicken Wing Coach, New England Rankings, matchamp99, Nuge
Click to see our RSS feeds available -->
Recent Wrestling Boxscores
see all | submit | rss

02/09/2017----------
Barnstable-40
Plymouth North-15
02/08/2017----------
Weymouth-17
Walpole-52
02/08/2017----------
North Attleboro-51
Oliver Ames-12
Newest Posts
Mt.Hope Wrestling tournament 12/9/17 Bristol RI
We have a couple of openings in our tournamen...
Posted by wrestlin365
Nov 22 17 : 18:05

Re: NCAA D-I Nat'l. Wrestling Tourn. Forges New MMA Talent
Oklahoma All-American Jake Hager signs with B...
Posted by Chicken Wing Coach
Nov 20 17 : 22:01

Vision Quest MMA - Class of 2006: (15 members...
Nov 20 17 : 21:58

It all started with Wrestling, says Billionaire Owner of Philadelphia 76ers.
Forbes Billionaires: https://www.forbes.com/s...
Nov 20 17 : 21:51

Coach Steve Gordon - Cumberland, R.I. Wrestling - Started Program "50" Years Ago
InterMat Wrestling: "The coach & his wife...
Nov 20 17 : 21:41

Caldwell crowned champ at Bellator 184: https...
Nov 20 17 : 21:34

Shepherd Hill open dates
Shepherd Hill has two open dates looking for ...
Posted by Tambo
Nov 20 17 : 07:04

Support MassWrestling. Click a link!