Forums
MassWrestling.com :: Forums :: Rankings and Predictions

2014-15 MassWrestling Rankings as of 09-MAR-2015  Go to page  1 [2] 3
AHS611
Tue Mar 10 2015, 08:57PM
Registered Member #7279
TechFall101 wrote ...

Questions about final rankings
1. I think that both luke Boyle and jon ryan should be ranked ahead of Owen Murray on the pound for pound rankings. Boyle won new englands and ryan took 3rd only losing to cannone. Yes Murray also but I believe they should be ahead of him.
2. Connor Thompson should be the top freshman considering he won states made all state finals and placed at new englands while Bechen made state finals took 4th at all states and didn't place at new englands
3. Rezendo should be ahead of garcia he beat him in the semis of all states. Yes garcia placed at new englands but they both had the same loses to Aquino and foster the only thing different is garcia went 1-1 with foster. With two wrestlers this close I think the head to head should determine it.
4. Russell feye should be ahead of josh wesolowski. Feye beat him in the semis off all states and I know wesolowski beat a wrestler feye lost to and placed at New Englands I think the head to head win should put feye over wesolowski.
5. Ryan Stanton should not be an honorable mention he wrestled up to Lowell then defaulted out after a win and before he faced the top wrestlers. He then didn't wrestle until sectionals which he won then defaulted out of states before he could face zaw or kelley.
6. Ryan Harty should be third he pinned freyermouth at marshfield and got DQed against Sao at all states due to a questionable call.
Thank you for all the work you do I hope you consider my changes on the final rankings next week

Thompson wrestles mostly other freshmen and sophomores at 106. Bechen faces mainly juniors and seniors. Tougher competition.
nb135
Tue Mar 10 2015, 09:40PM
Registered Member #6515
Not that this matters much but I was wondering how Billerica got to be 25th, Who did they beat? New Bedford (who are rebuilding) beat them with 9 guys, I was just curious
nb135
Tue Mar 10 2015, 09:47PM
Registered Member #6515
and Brockton belongs on the team rankings, They won the section and plymouth south is up there
Wrestler144
Tue Mar 10 2015, 10:50PM
Registered Member #13002
Toughest weight class? Should be added to the rankings.
nb135
Tue Mar 10 2015, 10:58PM
Registered Member #6515
AHS611 wrote ...

TechFall101 wrote ...

1. I think that both luke Boyle and jon ryan should be ranked ahead of Owen Murray on the pound for pound rankings. Boyle won new englands and ryan took 3rd only losing to cannone. Yes Murray also but I believe they should be ahead of him.
2. Connor Thompson should be the top freshman considering he won states made all state finals and placed at new englands while Bechen made state finals took 4th at all states and didn't place at new englands
3. Rezendo should be ahead of garcia he beat him in the semis of all states. Yes garcia placed at new englands but they both had the same loses to Aquino and foster the only thing different is garcia went 1-1 with foster. With two wrestlers this close I think the head to head should determine it.
4. Russell feye should be ahead of josh wesolowski. Feye beat him in the semis off all states and I know wesolowski beat a wrestler feye lost to and placed at New Englands I think the head to head win should put feye over wesolowski.
5. Ryan Stanton should not be an honorable mention he wrestled up to Lowell then defaulted out after a win and before he faced the top wrestlers. He then didn't wrestle until sectionals which he won then defaulted out of states before he could face zaw or kelley.
6. Ryan Harty should be third he pinned freyermouth at marshfield and got DQed against Sao at all states due to a questionable call.
Thank you for all the work you do I hope you consider my changes on the final rankings next week

Thompson wrestles mostly other freshmen and sophomores at 106. Bechen faces mainly juniors and seniors. Tougher competition.

Grades does not mean tougher comp, I would say 195 is the easiest weight class with mostley seniors in it
massrat
Wed Mar 11 2015, 06:07AM
Registered Member #14362
TechFall101 wrote ...

Feye also soundly beat Widman from NH who place aheadh of Wesolowski. Both got beat by the NE champ from MAU, Wesoloski got pinned in the first period. Feye over Wesoloski
The Rankings Team
Wed Mar 11 2015, 08:29AM

massrat wrote ...

TechFall101 wrote ...

Feye also soundly beat Widman from NH who place aheadh of Wesolowski. Both got beat by the NE champ from MAU, Wesoloski got pinned in the first period. Feye over Wesoloski

You are not including all of the information. Both did get beat by MAU- Wesolowski did get pinned in the 1st but Feye lost by tech fall, so that is not really relevant.

You do make some valid points though and this one is very close. Feye was eliminated from the tournament by the CT3, getting pinned in the first period. Wesolowski then beat the CT3 to place 5th in New England. New Englands is the top tournament so we rewarded his better finish. Again, very close and we appreciate all of the discussion.
The Rankings Team
Wed Mar 11 2015, 08:49AM

TechFall101 wrote ...

-Murray finished the year as an undefeated New England champion. Boyle had losses to Galanis, Holland, and Levesque. He later avenged all of those losses and went on to win New Englands, but Murray's season has to be rewarded. Ryan had two losses- Cannone who is a 2x NE finalist (who he also beat), and the other to NE champ Lafountain from MAU.
-Placing at All States as a freshman at 170 as Bechen did is rare. Thompson had an excellent season and we are not taking anything away from him.
-Stanton's season was cut short but as we mentioned before he was undefeated with wins over Kiely, Clasen and Lee, so that is why we left him as an HM.
Catfish
Wed Mar 11 2015, 08:50AM
Registered Member #11436
Wensley was ranked 3rd behind O'Brien and Fuller, Fuller wasn't a state champ so he wasn't in the seeding discussion for All-States, if he was Wensley would have been behind him since his loss was to Escribano who Fuller beat.

[/quote1426081074]

Just to add relevant data - Wensley was a 2015 state and all state champ - and beat Fuller directly in quarters at NE. I assume you missed this fact before blurring a reasonable question as to how and why the 1 ranking was awarded. You can't penalize a wrestler because they won a tournamnet and did not beat a wrestler because the othe wrestler did not make the finals.

I could see how Obrien's impressive NE tournament could make the decision less clear. Did it come down to paper - or is the rankings team putting a 2 at All State and a 3 at NE ahead of a 1 and a 6? I am interested in the rationale, and assume the rankings team applies concepts consistently. With all due respsct, I think this decision is worth consideration. The answer should not diminsh the accomplishments of either wrestler.
The Rankings Team
Wed Mar 11 2015, 09:20AM

Catfish wrote ...

Wensley was ranked 3rd behind O'Brien and Fuller, Fuller wasn't a state champ so he wasn't in the seeding discussion for All-States, if he was Wensley would have been behind him since his loss was to Escribano who Fuller beat.

[/quote1426081074]

Just to add relevant data - Wensley was a 2015 state and all state champ - and beat Fuller directly in quarters at NE. I assume you missed this fact before blurring a reasonable question as to how and why the 1 ranking was awarded. You can't penalize a wrestler because they won a tournamnet and did not beat a wrestler because the othe wrestler did not make the finals.

I could see how Obrien's impressive NE tournament could make the decision less clear. Did it come down to paper - or is the rankings team putting a 2 at All State and a 3 at NE ahead of a 1 and a 6? I am interested in the rationale, and assume the rankings team applies concepts consistently. With all due respsct, I think this decision is worth consideration. The answer should not diminsh the accomplishments of either wrestler.

We didn't miss anything, you orginially said "It is relevant that this site ranked Wensley as 3 prior to All State, but he was ranked 1 at All State tournament." We were explaining why we had Wensley ranked 3 prior to All-States on this site compared to why he was seeded #1 at All-States.

To your question, yes we consider 2nd at All-States and 3rd at NE ahead of 1st and 6th. They are 1-1 against each other, O'Brien has no other in state losses, Wensley does. Those are the reasons we gave O'Brien the #1 spot.
Thedavepete
Wed Mar 11 2015, 01:03PM
Registered Member #14422
I think Lucas Cordio of Nashoba makes a good argument for best freshman along with Bechen. However their states are very similar but I find winning d2 states placing 4th at all states at 138 as a freshman to be extremely impressive, especially because I thought this year was very challenging for 138.
nb135
Wed Mar 11 2015, 02:43PM
Registered Member #6515
My opinion on best freshman is Cole Wyman from Brockton. He weighs 100 pounds and still placed at allstates beating a state finalist on his way, If he was a true 106 he could of won everything. Very talented wrestler and his name will be on the scene a lot over the next 3 vyears.
w1nbyp1n
Wed Mar 11 2015, 04:21PM
Registered Member #11536
nb135 wrote ...

My opinion on best freshman is Cole Wyman from Brockton. He weighs 100 pounds and still placed at allstates beating a state finalist on his way, If he was a true 106 he could of won everything. Very talented wrestler and his name will be on the scene a lot over the next 3 vyears.

Bechen, Cordio, Thompson, Durkin, Sanchez all bong ahead of wyman. He's technical as hell and a good wrestler but gotta go with results
TechFallGuy
Wed Mar 11 2015, 04:37PM
Registered Member #11766
Not sure if I could say that about Sanchez, don't believe he made it to NE Wyman did.
Thedavepete
Wed Mar 11 2015, 04:42PM
Registered Member #14422
TechFallGuy wrote ...

Not sure if I could say that about Sanchez, don't believe he made it to NE Wyman did.

Sanchez has to default his matches at all states before he could place due to injury. Before the injkury he took 4th at lowells and 1rst at d2 states.
R543R
Wed Mar 11 2015, 06:16PM
Registered Member #11067
TechFall101 wrote ...

What are your thoughts on these two?
bfw68
Wed Mar 11 2015, 06:32PM
Registered Member #4381
Just an opinion here, but if Sanchez didn't get hurt he likely would have been 3rd at All-State and been very likely placer at New England. But yes he did get hurt
nb135
Wed Mar 11 2015, 08:14PM
Registered Member #6515
bfw68 wrote ...

Just an opinion here, but if Sanchez didn't get hurt he likely would have been 3rd at All-State and been very likely placer at New England. But yes he did get hurt

likelly top 4 i don't think he beats Ferri, they way ferri was wrestling
nb135
Wed Mar 11 2015, 08:17PM
Registered Member #6515
w1nbyp1n wrote ...

nb135 wrote ...

Bechen, Cordio, Thompson, Durkin, Sanchez all bong ahead of wyman. He's technical as hell and a good wrestler but gotta go with results

I never said Wyman should be 1 i stated that hes is that good and if he wasent giving 10 pounds every time he wrestles the result would be different
bfw68
Wed Mar 11 2015, 08:53PM
Registered Member #4381
nb135 wrote ...

bfw68 wrote ...

Sanchez was wrestling pretty well at the time also. As the year went on he was better and Ferri would not have beaten him in my world.
LibertyMikeC
Wed Mar 11 2015, 09:05PM
Registered Member #8105
Thedavepete wrote ...

I think Lucas Cordio of Nashoba makes a good argument for best freshman along with Bechen. However their states are very similar but I find winning d2 states placing 4th at all states at 138 as a freshman to be extremely impressive, especially because I thought this year was very challenging for 138.

Bechen would be ahead of Cordio as his only losses were to upperclassmen. Cordio was pinned by another freshman, Cooley, at all-States. Could argue D2 138 wasn't as deep as the other divisions, especially with Layton not wrestling whereas Bechen's only loss by pin was to Hoehn, arguably top wrestler in MA.
nb135
Wed Mar 11 2015, 09:26PM
Registered Member #6515
bfw68 wrote ...

nb135 wrote ...

bfw68 wrote ...

Sanchez was wrestling pretty well at the time also. As the year went on he was better and Ferri would not have beaten him in my world.

in what world lol they split this year, you must be bias to the situation, Ferri took Morris to ot
The Rankings Team
Thu Mar 12 2015, 09:46AM

TechFall101 wrote ...

1. Owen Murray is an undefeated New England champ, it's pretty hard to put anyone who isn't over him. Boyle has a few in state losses, that's why we put Ryan at #5.

2. As others have stated there is a big difference in weight classes. 106 is a Freshman weight class, 170 is not.

3. We considered Rezendes and Garcia basically equal after D1 States with the only difference being the seeding and when they saw DeRosa. Rezendes had a slight edge after All-States with the OT win being the difference between 2nd and 5th place (since the loser got Aquino). We thought Garcia's win over Foster which put him into the semi's at New Englands was enough to move him just ahead of Rezendes. New Englands is the top tournament and Garcia wrestled a little better there and placed. That is why we moved him up.

4.Basically same explanation as above.

5.As we already stated, Stanton was undefeated and beat 3 ranked kids. This is the rare case where we add an HM. We did the same thing with Niven in 2013.

6.This we are still looking at.
w1nbyp1n
Thu Mar 12 2015, 07:09PM
Registered Member #11536
nb135 wrote ...

AHS611 wrote ...

TechFall101 wrote ...

Grades does not mean tougher comp, I would say 195 is the easiest weight class with mostley seniors in it

195 is the easiest weight class? What a laughable comment. Escribano was a Lowell Holliday champion 2 years ago and took 5th at all states ... Benoit took 3rd at all states after taking 3rd the year before at 220. Wensley has over 150 career wins and Obrien beat Wensley and Benoit . But good call
Catfish
Thu Mar 12 2015, 07:59PM
Registered Member #11436

To your question, yes we consider 2nd at All-States and 3rd at NE ahead of 1st and 6th. They are 1-1 against each other, O'Brien has no other in state losses, Wensley does. Those are the reasons we gave O'Brien the #1 spot.
[/quote1426208269]

Thank you
Go to page: Go to page  1 [2] 3          << Previous thread | Next thread >>

Jump:     Back to top

Moderators: Mike Atlas, CoachMiller, The Rankings Team, JMode, Shvarts, eoghanjames, Jim Maher, plm_77, jubele135, Hill Billy, psch, tourneygeek, NE_07, Sam Shames, Chicken Wing Coach, New England Rankings, matchamp99, Nuge
Click to see our RSS feeds available -->
Recent Wrestling Boxscores
see all | submit | rss

02/09/2017----------
Barnstable-40
Plymouth North-15
02/08/2017----------
Weymouth-17
Walpole-52
02/08/2017----------
North Attleboro-51
Oliver Ames-12
Newest Posts
Olympian Steve Mocco joins Brown University RTC
Olympian Steve Mocco named head coach of New ...
Posted by Chicken Wing Coach
May 24 17 : 18:15

Columbus Day Duals in York, PA October 7-8, 2017
LARGEST Pre-Season Dual Meet Tournament in th...
Posted by TyrantWrestling
May 24 17 : 10:27

Re: Strength Training for almost 13 year old new to wrestling
ruthstoops wrote ...His off season club is ex...
Posted by FiveTenthsNelson
May 24 17 : 08:14

MetroWest United WC - Summer Training
Registration for the MWU's 6-week summer sess...
Posted by JMode
May 23 17 : 22:09

Re: Ashland Open Dates
Monty Tech might be potentially interested. I...
Posted by MrBlastdoubles
May 23 17 : 14:45

Ashland Open Dates
Looking to fill a Friday Night Dual on 1/12. ...
Posted by pzacchilli
May 23 17 : 13:50

Re: Strength Training for almost 13 year old new to wrestling
ruthstoops wrote ...Son is new to wrestling a...
Posted by MrBlastdoubles
May 23 17 : 13:31

Support MassWrestling. Click a link!