Newest: G. Krupp
Support MassWrestling. Click a link!

Forums
MassWrestling.com :: Forums :: General Discussion

Permanent Location for New Englands: Suggestions 
Medic5392
Sat Mar 07 2015, 07:28AM
Registered Member #6539
Geographic Center of New England is A place located at 43.117199 degrees latitude and -71.593498 degrees longitude, only a few miles from the intersection of Interstates 93 and 89: Dunbarton, N.H., population 2,600.
At the intersection of Guinea and Stone roads.

As Speedkills suggested the logical place to hold New Englands would be the nearest large venue to Dunbarton, NH and that would be located in Manchester, NH. The city has a wide variety of food, lodging and entertainment choices. Easy access from HWYs and it's own airport that is great to fly in and out of.

Geographic Center allows for the fairest split for some and if they hold it in the same place every year then people can plan accordingly, just like they do in the big wrestling states such as PA.

Cost and Time are of course the issue as in everything else.

Cost can usually be mitigated by making a deal with the venue host (Verizon Arena perhaps?) and sell it has a tax write off at worst or a money maker at best over time. That takes a lot of lobbying and effort by coaches and coaches already have their plates full.

Time is subject to the the above lobbying and effort question, so who has the time and energy to push for that. Then that same group of people would have to get the New England Council to agree and good luck getting those clowns to do anything.

I think it is a great idea to have the New England's in permanent location and in terms of costs, logistics and planning it makes sense for families and schools to be able to better schedule that event into their lives, but it is not an easy task. And any other suggestions on how to do this should be put in this thread and not the New England predictions thread.
patsfan12
Sat Mar 07 2015, 08:07AM
Registered Member #11459
Idiotic suggestion. The site should be where the average travel time for all wrestlers should be minimized. That isn't NH. Population center is likely metro west, maybe Worcester. That doesn't even consider that the northern states send fewer (but too many wrestlers).
Medic5392
Sat Mar 07 2015, 08:20AM
Registered Member #6539
patsfan12 wrote ...

Idiotic suggestion. The site should be where the average travel time for all wrestlers should be minimized. That isn't NH. Population center is likely metro west, maybe Worcester. That doesn't even consider that the northern states send fewer (but too many wrestlers).

No, it is actually the fairest suggestion due to having to look at what works best for everyone. Travel time is minimized for all (not just MA folks) if you put something in what is called the "GEOGRAPHIC CENTER". It works, look it up online, there is a whole thing called Lat and Long related to it. True story. Population center? If you go by population then Boston and Hartford areas are the locations, that is not what we are talking about, but maps and geography are not for everyone.

Unlike yourself, I do not think any larger venue is idiotic, but Worcester is adding an extra 90-120 mins onto travel time for ME, VT and some NH folks. Manchester is the geographic center, it is only 15mins south of the dead center of New England. Manchester makes sense to me, but really and large venue that is easily accessible and close to the center of New England is a good suggestion as long it is permanently located there. Helps people to plan that way and make it an event IMHO. If Worcester or another location offer more in terms of cost, venue, etc...that is a good reason to make that the location, but just saying what you said is not a good reason.

RIWRESTLING
Sat Mar 07 2015, 10:00AM
Registered Member #9935
Nobody travels from the Canadian border to New England's. Using geographic center is ridiculous.
RIWRESTLING
Sat Mar 07 2015, 10:07AM
Registered Member #9935
Speaking from a completely biased perspective Providence was best. It's 3 hours to Mt Anthony, 2.5 to Marshwoods, 2.5 to Danbury. It's the true center.
Medic5392
Sat Mar 07 2015, 10:13AM
Registered Member #6539
RIWRESTLING wrote ...

Speaking from a completely biased perspective Providence was best. It's 3 hours to Mt Anthony, 2.5 to Marshwoods, 2.5 to Danbury. It's the true center.

I would disagree and say that if you are going by your criteria then Worcester, Lowell or another similar town would be a better location. Remember, it is not just about the big teams and their contingents coming down, this is about the 1 or 2 kids from East Bum***k ME, VT or NH. I bring up Manchester because it is easily accessible by HWY from all states, has an airport that has flights all over and has a large population and a lot of private and public venues to choose from for hosting. It is also closer to MAU, Timberlane and the Merrimack Valley which is the "true center" of wrestling in New England.

No, really I think any spot somewhat centrally located is a good idea, but Providence is not close to being good for everyone, it is southeast. I like the idea of Worcester, but it is not wrestling friendly and I like the idea of an airport too for access that Manchester has.
nastyhalf
Sun Mar 08 2015, 09:23AM
Registered Member #138
I want to party with the guy who flies his plane to a high school wrestling tournament.
waf475
Sun Mar 08 2015, 11:59AM
Registered Member #11119
Whatever venue the New Englands are held at my vote for announcer is the VOICE of Massachusetts wrestling Scotty McQuaide no disrespect to others ,but he's the best. By the way he has seats available on his plane too
pmoricone
Sun Mar 08 2015, 12:31PM
Registered Member #10256
Is he the guy who does Lowell also. We always used to call him "Tournament in a can" meaning zero disrespect. We would watch him set up, give direction, work the head table and sing the National anthem. He was all you needed in one person.
realityking
Sun Mar 08 2015, 12:50PM
Registered Member #12824
I thought the tournament went smoothly and that North Andover did a nice job.

The question I have is why didn't they march out the "finalists" and introduce them like they have in the past?

It was a little anti climatic how they rolled into the matches as if it was just another round of wrestling.
waf475
Sun Mar 08 2015, 05:14PM
Registered Member #11119
Yup that's him
nb135
Sun Mar 08 2015, 05:20PM
Registered Member #6515
New Bedford sounds good! So I have a short distance to go lol But No in all serious I think Durfee could be a good fit, It is big but not sure if it would be big enough for New Englands
NEU_wrestling
Sun Mar 08 2015, 09:59PM
Registered Member #12671
If the whole NE area can get on board with trying to sell out arenas/venues and become the best area around, then you can be able to hold it at a certain location year in and year out. Until that happens there will need to be a new venue for each year. I was spoiled wrestling, I was showcased in HS, I wrestled at Lehigh(Prep Nationals) and the was in a Convention Center (NJ States). If NE can get as big as these venues, I would suggest the HEINZ Convention Center. We all want wrestling to be the best sport out of NE, so why not treat not like it. There is no need to hold these huge events in a high school gym anymore.
Ilovewrestling
Sun Mar 08 2015, 10:43PM
Registered Member #6637
Right now North Andover is the hub of wrestling. They have a great facility, great people, and it is fiscally attainable, not to mention willing to host the tournament. Lowell, Worcester, Manchester, Hartford are very expensive, so lets thank the great folks of North Andover or facilities like them wiling to host the tournament. I agree it would be great to have a host facility, but cost and volunteers make it unlikely to happen.
nolimit4344
Mon Mar 09 2015, 06:11AM
Registered Member #2993
realityking wrote ...

I thought the tournament went smoothly and that North Andover did a nice job.

North Andover was a terrible location.. Are you serious? First off, its like 3 hours from Danbury, Newtown, Warde, and Mt. Anthony. All of those teams were in the top 10, most in the top 5. Second, the gym was insanely crowded! Especially on the first night. It was a little better the second night but impossible to watch unless you were sitting in bleacher rows 5 or above. Way too crowded in the gym. Friday night there were up to 3 rows of people watching on the side ropes. There were more fire fighting personnel than staff members! Clearly over capacity. In addition, the parking was brutal. Even if you showed up early on day two, you were turned away. You had to be there within the first 10 minutes on day two to park at the high school. Ridiculous.

A lot of negative, but there were some positives. The overhead balcony was a nice touch but filled up within the first 5 minutes. The cafeteria and auditorium were conveniently right next to the gym. Semi private bathroom areas for the wrestlers and coaches. The Security did a decent job at making sure people were not standing mat side. But didnt matter as there was ALWAYS herds walking through. I did NOT like how they ran he finals at all. Essentially no introduction. Most matches started before the Champions were introduced. And even when they were, it was a very non nonchalant introduction.

A venue such as this should not be at a high school. Unless of course like the high school in New Haven which is more than big enough. The problem with that is the location (New Haven) a little too far for those eastern Mass and NH, ME teams.

Providence was not bad. Worcester would probably be the fairest. I think even the Springfield area would not be terrible. Point of emphasis needs to be on parking, spectator viewing area (since they are the ones funding this operation), and closeness of caf. I think Worcester area would be great assuming there is a Center/Venue capable of holding this. No more high schools!

Medic5392
Mon Mar 09 2015, 07:03AM
Registered Member #6539
QHS wrote ...

If the whole NE area can get on board with trying to sell out arenas/venues and become the best area around, then you can be able to hold it at a certain location year in and year out. Until that happens there will need to be a new venue for each year. I was spoiled wrestling, I was showcased in HS, I wrestled at Lehigh(Prep Nationals) and the was in a Convention Center (NJ States). If NE can get as big as these venues, I would suggest the HEINZ Convention Center. We all want wrestling to be the best sport out of NE, so why not treat not like it. There is no need to hold these huge events in a high school gym anymore.

I think the New England's would fill a Centrum or Tsongas Arena pretty easily, but not sure we are at the level of the entire Heinz Convention center yet, but maybe. If we hold it at the same location every year it allows for folks to plan for it and over time you will see it become an "event" that people even try to plan around, like other states do. I totally agree that it should be showcased like you say and I think Worcester is a pretty agreeable area to go, but no matter what location people picked getting the Council to sign off might be hard. I think they are pretty bad at caring about the long term path of Wrestling and are not responsive at all to suggestions. I attempted to call, email them multiple times with an offer to possibly sponsor the New England's from my community. I left messages, emails, etc..etc..not one returned call or reply via email.
wrestle4good
Mon Mar 09 2015, 01:44PM
Registered Member #13628
I have a question for anyone who may be able to provide insight.

I have wondered for some time if there has ever been talk of a Northeast Regional Competition, taking qualifiers from the New England Tournament along with states such as New York and Pennsylvania. Then putting them together in a competition sanctioned by a conglomerate of state associations. I would really like to see how the wrestlers from New England would fair in such a showcase. I also think it would motivate many programs to get better so they can effectively compete in such a gathering. Not to mention it would give the best wrestlers from our area a platform to demonstrate their skills to college scouts and test kids like Hoehn and Butterbrodt, and Viruet.
WarrenMcQ
Mon Mar 09 2015, 02:05PM
Registered Member #572
I just want to park without getting a ticket.
Medic5392
Mon Mar 09 2015, 02:18PM
Registered Member #6539
wrestle4good wrote ...

I have a question for anyone who may be able to provide insight.

I have wondered for some time if there has ever been talk of a Northeast Regional Competition, taking qualifiers from the New England Tournament along with states such as New York and Pennsylvania. Then putting them together in a competition sanctioned by a conglomerate of state associations. I would really like to see how the wrestlers from New England would fair in such a showcase. I also think it would motivate many programs to get better so they can effectively compete in such a gathering. Not to mention it would give the best wrestlers from our area a platform to demonstrate their skills to college scouts and test kids like Hoehn and Butterbrodt, and Viruet.

There is already a sanctioned event, it is called the NHSCA or FloNationals. They face those kids there, as well as at Cadet & Junior Nationals, Super 32 and many other tournaments throughout the year. There is not going to be a regional when being a State or New England placer qualifies you for Nationals in Virginia or Flo.
Go to page:          << Previous thread | Next thread >>

Jump:     Back to top

Moderators: Mike Atlas, CoachMiller, The Rankings Team, JMode, Shvarts, eoghanjames, Jim Maher, plm_77, jubele135, Hill Billy, psch, tourneygeek, NE_07, Sam Shames, Chicken Wing Coach, New England Rankings, matchamp99, Nuge
Click to see our RSS feeds available -->
Recent Wrestling Boxscores
see all | submit | rss

02/09/2017----------
Barnstable-40
Plymouth North-15
02/08/2017----------
Weymouth-17
Walpole-52
02/08/2017----------
North Attleboro-51
Oliver Ames-12
Newest Posts
Any tourneys and/or Quad/SuperQuads on 1/6 or 1/20 2018 ??
The Marblehead-Swampscott Co-Op team has two ...
Posted by GrayDawg
Aug 23 17 : 14:28

Nashua Tournament 1/13/18
Hey guys. looking for a few more teams for o...
Posted by suldog63
Aug 23 17 : 09:48

Re: Major NH Event Confirmed
Registration for the Maroulis/Krause Clinic a...
Posted by amack603
Aug 23 17 : 08:17

Western New England University- Golden Bear Prospect Day
Western New England University wrestling will...
Posted by msugermeyer
Aug 22 17 : 09:17

Re: Major NH Event Confirmed
Teams rolling in for the dual tourney includi...
Posted by amack603
Aug 22 17 : 07:51

Re: Sacred Heart University tabs John Clark as head wrestling coach
John Clark's Twitter & Website @ Sacred H...
Posted by Chicken Wing Coach
Aug 21 17 : 19:06

Re: Tournament February
Highschool
Posted by Steve Sentes
Aug 19 17 : 09:48

Support MassWrestling. Click a link!