tourneygeek
Sun Mar 01 2015, 05:33PM

Put your predictions for NE here

Brackets are up : [link]

15 Changes during the week , new brackets : [link]

t3chfa11
Sun Mar 01 2015, 08:03PM
Registered Member #14186
106: Murillo (Southington) over Morris (Tyngsboro)
113: Aquino (Catholic Memorial) over Bloom (Moses Brown)
120: Kelley (Foxboro) over Raetz (Mt Anthony)
126: Gassaway (Mt Anthony) over Stamas (Exeter/West Greenwich)
132: Lafountain (Mt Anthony) over Bohle (Timberlane)
138: Howard (Moses Brown) over Gomez (Cranston West)
145: Hahr (St Johnsbury) over Fernandez (Simsbury)
152: Boyle (Triton) over Shaler (Mt Anthony)
160: Viruet (Springfield Central) over Peoples (East Providence)
170: Hoehn (North Andover) over Hughes (Marshwood)
182: Sauro (Bishop Hendricken) over Geiger (Oxford Hills)
195: Mattison (Mt Anthony) over Barreiro (Pinkerton)
220: Butterbrodt (St Johns Prep) over Luciano (Mt Anthony)
285: Millen (Narragansett) over Murray (Barnstable)

My predictions: (Based off what I know and my personal opinions... odds are a lot of them will be wrong or even way off).
speedkills
Sun Mar 01 2015, 09:11PM
Registered Member #8281
t3chfa11 wrote ...

My predictions: (Based off what I know and my personal opinions... odds are a lot of them will be wrong or even way off).

/
w1nbyp1n
Mon Mar 02 2015, 12:38AM
Registered Member #11536
106 - Murillo (CT)
113- Aquino (MA)
120 - Kelley (MA)
126- Gassaway (VT)
132- Ryan (MA)
138- Luc-Lemieux (NH)
145- Peters (NH)
152- Levesque (NH)
160- Viruet (MA)
170- Hoehn (MA)
182- Garcia (CT)
195- Barreiro (NH)
220- Butterbrodt (MA)
Hvy- Shrewsbury (MA)
t3chfa11
Mon Mar 02 2015, 06:46AM
Registered Member #14186
Who makes these brackets? I am asking because i looked up the New Hampshire qualifiers and it said Jean Luc-Lemieux was first in New Hampshire but on the bracket it says he is 2nd. I was just wondering if these brackets are official or if it was just a mistake?
John Stark Wrestling
Mon Mar 02 2015, 06:53AM
Registered Member #12193
t3chfa11 wrote ...

Who makes these brackets? I am asking because i looked up the New Hampshire qualifiers and it said Jean Luc-Lemieux was first in New Hampshire but on the bracket it says he is 2nd. I was just wondering if these brackets are official or if it was just a mistake?

Lemieux is the NH2. Scalzo from Timberlane is the NH1. You must have been looking at the Division results where Lemieux won, not the all-state results where Scalzo won.
John Stark Wrestling
Mon Mar 02 2015, 06:57AM
Registered Member #12193
t3chfa11 wrote ...

Aquino might beat Bloom, but not in the finals. They meet in the round of 16.
montytech160
Mon Mar 02 2015, 08:12AM
Registered Member #13806
UVJ wrote ...

t3chfa11 wrote ...

I'll take Levesque of BG at 152
Shamrock
Mon Mar 02 2015, 08:20AM
Registered Member #7635

t3chfa11
Mon Mar 02 2015, 08:21AM
Registered Member #14186
UVJ wrote ...

t3chfa11 wrote ...

Lemieux is the NH2. Scalzo from Timberlane is the NH1. You must have been looking at the Division results where Lemieux won, not the all-state results where Scalzo won.

Alright thank you. My mistake.
t3chfa11
Mon Mar 02 2015, 08:23AM
Registered Member #14186
UVJ wrote ...

t3chfa11 wrote ...

My bad i meant Aquino over Opsal
NotNorwood
Mon Mar 02 2015, 08:39AM
Registered Member #12132
Is seeding completely random at New Englands? I understand that it can be hard seeding all the state champions who probably have not wrestled each other and most have very few loses if any.
I just find it odd that Jon Viruet and Ian Butterbrodt are defending New England champs and they are both the 5th seed.
t3chfa11
Mon Mar 02 2015, 08:51AM
Registered Member #14186
NotNorwood wrote ...

Is seeding completely random at New Englands? I understand that it can be hard seeding all the state champions who probably have not wrestled each other and most have very few loses if any.
I just find it odd that Jon Viruet and Ian Butterbrodt are defending New England champs and they are both the 5th seed.

I believe the New Englands seedings are set on a rotation each year.
Carlascooz
Mon Mar 02 2015, 08:52AM
Registered Member #11519
It's done via a template. So, regardless of who MA1 might be he's going to wrestle CT3 (for example) regardless of who each wrestler actually is.

It's kinda stupid in my opinion. Returning NE champs\finalists should be separated at least.
Dex
Mon Mar 02 2015, 11:20AM
Registered Member #9365
[link]

Bottom page is the seeding chart
JasonEzraGanz
Mon Mar 02 2015, 01:37PM
Registered Member #14151
220 Butterbrodt(SJP) and 160 Viruet(Springfied Central) are both nationally ranked and wrestling for Brown U next year. Any other NE Championship competitors commit to college yet for wrestling?
j johnson
Tue Mar 03 2015, 11:01AM
Registered Member #2580
Admittedly I don't follow New England wrestling as close as I once did, but I tried to follow a little more this year than the last few, so here's my slightly more than half guesses shot.

106: This is a good weight with 6 or 7 real good kids. The quarters here will be fun, with some matches that in other years could be semis or finals. Morris vs Camacho in the top quarter, I beleieve Comacho beat him in Maine this year. Possible MAU vs Bishop Hendricken (I know they met in a dual, too lazy to look up who won) which could be important for team race. Both bottom quarters will have 4 good wrestlers, one of whom probably won't place. Craig vs Murillo (Fargo AA) and Thompson vs Rowlette. I'll take an all CT final with Murillo winning for the third straight week.

113: No names here really jump off the page, but a lot of really good wrestlers. I'd expect a lot of upsets and surprises here. CT has a kid who placed at NE last year that didn't even qualify, so I'm guessing the CT contingent will be tough at this weight. Aquino will have a tough road to repeat. Not really sure who to pick here.

120: Like 113, I don't see anyone as an overwhelming favorite. I think Kelley makes the semis from the top quarter, Linder from CT should as well although Bliss is tough and coming off a good win over Raetz. Down below if Raetz can get by a tough MA2 first round he should have Cardoso in the quarters who I believe he beat twice. I also believe the Noble kid beat Raetz in the dual, so I guess I'll pick Linder over Shorey in the finals.

126: Gassaway is returning champ and heavy favorite, but he certainly doesn't have an easy road. His quarter final will either be a pretty good ME3, or the Mass champ, then a probable semi match with a past champ out of Maine. I'm picking the Maie champ on the bottom half of the bracket to meet him in the finals. Some tough early round matches in this weight like Fields vs Delgallo (both past place winners) and Craig vs Ellis.

132: Real good first round match with Widmann (placed last year) and the MA2, winner of that gets Lafountain. Not real familiar with anyone in the next quarter bracket so I'll pick Lafaountain to make the finals. Bohle and Ryan hit in the quarters below and I assume the winner will make the finals. Tough call with Lafountain vs Bohle, MAU vs Timberlane, sounds like it was a good match in the Lowell finals, not having seen it I'm not sure who to pick.

138: Talk about a crazy weight, last years NE champ and 3rd place finisher meet in the round of 32! Two matches later the winner could get Monteiro, the Mass champ who placed last year. I'm gonna go with the defending champ to run the gauntlet and make it back to the finals, beating Howard (who I believe placed a couple years ago) in the semis. Down below, Scalzo from Timberlane, after upsetting Lemieux last week, as a reward he gets the CT kid who beat Lemieux early in the year. I'll take Kane in that one, and I think Behen gives Danvers their first NE placer by making the semis. I'll take Kane over Lemieux in the finals. Watch out for Weir tho, he was 6th in MA last year before taking 3rd at NE, he will be a bracket buster and ruin someone's tournament this weekend!

145: I think this is Peters weight to lose. I think he may have a tough match in the quarters with O'Connell from RI, guessing he has the CT champ in the semis. Down below I think Licastri, the CT2 has placed at NE before, he catches the MA1 in the quarters and I'll take the winner of that to be in the finals with Peters winning.

152: I think this is the weight I know the least about, recognize a few names but don't know if any of these guys have placed before. Since I'm a NH guy now I'll pick the NH champ to win it, possible beating the Marshwood kid in the semis and as a blind guess I'll take the CT1 up top.

160: Stating the obvious here but this weight is Viruet and everyone else, don't think he'll be challenged much this year. I think the winner of the Howarth vs Odell quarter down below will be his finals opponent.

170: This one has been talked about a lot, the potential Hughes vs Hoehn final. Fortunately they are on opposite sides of the bracket, so it could and probably will happen. Mills from NH is tough and could be Hoehn's semi final opponent. Falbo down below was 3rd at 152 as a freshmen last year and a friend of mine from CT tells me he looks awesome this year and he thinks he can possibly upset the two big names here. I'll stick with pick the final everyone is expecting, but picking a winner is tough. Hughes has been in the same weight at Hoehn all 4 years and always outplaced him, but Hoehn has improved a lot and will be wrestling in his home gym, so that makes it even tougher to pick a winner. I guess I'll flip a coin later and see who I pick to win, just hoping it will be an exciting match!

182: Like 160, this weight should be Garcia and everybody else. All 3 NH kids here are tough, all the MA kids here are tough. Other than picking Garcia to win, I have no idea how the rest of the bracket will play out.

195: This weight has 3 legit studs and all 3 are separated in the bracket. Mattison from MAU was 2nd at this weight last year, Thomas was the champ at 182 last year and they figure to meet in the semis. Mattison will have his work cut out for him with a returning placer from Londonderry as his first match, then the RI champ in the quarters. Barreiro placed down at 170 last year but beat Mattison in the Lowell finals and from everything I've read he has looked great this year. I think we'll see him vs Thomas in the final, although Mattison winning the whole thing wouldn't shock me, and I don't know who to pick if that final does happen.

220: Butterbrodt obviously a step above everyone here as the returning champ. I think the Maine kid Curtis will be his toughest competition and they meet in the semis. Everyone else in this bracket seems so have all beaten each other and all had very close matches, so the rest of the placers are anyone's guess. MAU could really use something out of Luciano who was a match away from placing two years ago but seems to end up a point or two short with all the top guys.

285: Easily the most unpredictable weight, as is usually the case. Not uncommon to see MA4, 5, 6 or CT 3 or 4 place while the champs don't. There's no Jesse Webb or any other dominant standout this year like most years. Shrews bury was 3rd last year but only 3rd in MA this year. I hear the NH heavy moves really well for a big guy, don't know anything about CT, RI, or ME guys, so I guess I have no predictions here other than I expect upsets and surprises.

Team: MAU is clearly the best team in New England this year, as they have been the last 4 years. However, at this tournament that isn't always a guarantee of anything. They only have two returning placers, although both are finalists and one is a champ. They have several wrestlers very capable of going deep in the tournament, placing or scoring points in the consis, but they all have tough draws. If guys like Schaefer, Call, Raetz, Lafountain and Luciano don't step up big, they could be upset in the final team score. I'm prediction them to win it, and probably comfortably, but crazier things have happened.

Marshwood is a team that could steal it if MAU underperforms. They have 8 kids qualified, and I could easily see 3 or 4 making the finals or at least the semis.

Timberlane only has 4 qualifiers, but two of them are the favorites to win it, and the other two are in good position to place.

Bishop Hendricken has 11 qualifiers. I don't know how many of them are good enough to place here, but I would think they should score some points.

Danbury has two potential champs and a third returning placer, but that probably won't be enough to challenge for a title. I'm sure several other teams with a couple kids could be in the mix for 3rd. I'll go with MAU, Marshwood, Timberlane top 3.
pmoricone
Tue Mar 03 2015, 11:06AM
Registered Member #10256
good preview
Makendor10
Tue Mar 03 2015, 12:22PM
Registered Member #13711
106: Murillo over Morris
113: Aquino over Derosa
120: Linder over (very tough choice w/ Raetz, Zaw and Cardosa) Raetz
126: Gassaway over Beaulieu
132: LaFountain over Bohle
138: Lemiuex over Scalzo
145: Peters over Ball
152: Levesque over Accousti
160: Viruet over Odell
170: Hughes over Hoehn
182: Garcia over Humphries
195: Mattison over Wensley
220: Butterbrodt over Luciano (tough between Luciano and Rose)
285: Murray over Broder
lowtilt45
Tue Mar 03 2015, 12:24PM
Registered Member #11384
[quote]

Team: MAU is clearly the best team in New England this year, as they have been the last 4 years. However, at this tournament that isn't always a guarantee of anything. They only have two returning placers, although both are finalists and one is a champ. They have several wrestlers very capable of going deep in the tournament, placing or scoring points in the consis, but they all have tough draws. If guys like Schaefer, Call, Raetz, Lafountain and Luciano don't step up big, they could be upset in the final team score. I'm prediction them to win it, and probably comfortably, but crazier things have happened.

Marshwood is a team that could steal it if MAU underperforms. They have 6 kids qualified, and I could easily see 3 or 4 making the finals or at least the semis.

Timberlane only has 4 qualifiers, but two of them are the favorites to win it, and the other two are in good position to place.

Bishop Hendricken has 11 qualifiers. I don't know how many of them are good enough to place here, but I would think they should score some points.

Danbury has two potential champs and a third returning placer, but that probably won't be enough to challenge for a title. I'm sure several other teams with a couple kids could be in the mix for 3rd. I'll go with MAU, Marshwood, Timberlane top 3.
[/quote142540695

Marshwood has 8 qualifiers, 106, 113, 126, 145, 152, 160, 170, 182.
fdog
Tue Mar 03 2015, 02:30PM
Registered Member #1348
j johnson wrote ...

Admittedly I don't follow New England wrestling as close as I once did, but I tried to follow a little more this year than the last few, so here's my slightly more than half guesses shot.

106: This is a good weight with 6 or 7 real good kids. The quarters here will be fun, with some matches that in other years could be semis or finals. Morris vs Camacho in the top quarter, I beleieve Comacho beat him in Maine this year. Possible MAU vs Bishop Hendricken (I know they met in a dual, too lazy to look up who won) which could be important for team race. Both bottom quarters will have 4 good wrestlers, one of whom probably won't place. Craig vs Murillo (Fargo AA) and Thompson vs Rowlette. I'll take an all CT final with Murillo winning for the third straight week.

113: No names here really jump off the page, but a lot of really good wrestlers. I'd expect a lot of upsets and surprises here. CT has a kid who placed at NE last year that didn't even qualify, so I'm guessing the CT contingent will be tough at this weight. Aquino will have a tough road to repeat. Not really sure who to pick here.

120: Like 113, I don't see anyone as an overwhelming favorite. I think Kelley makes the semis from the top quarter, Linder from CT should as well although Bliss is tough and coming off a good win over Raetz. Down below if Raetz can get by a tough MA2 first round he should have Cardoso in the quarters who I believe he beat twice. I also believe the Noble kid beat Raetz in the dual, so I guess I'll pick Linder over Shorey in the finals.

126: Gassaway is returning champ and heavy favorite, but he certainly doesn't have an easy road. His quarter final will either be a pretty good ME3, or the Mass champ, then a probable semi match with a past champ out of Maine. I'm picking the Maie champ on the bottom half of the bracket to meet him in the finals. Some tough early round matches in this weight like Fields vs Delgallo (both past place winners) and Craig vs Ellis.

132: Real good first round match with Widmann (placed last year) and the MA2, winner of that gets Lafountain. Not real familiar with anyone in the next quarter bracket so I'll pick Lafaountain to make the finals. Bohle and Ryan hit in the quarters below and I assume the winner will make the finals. Tough call with Lafountain vs Bohle, MAU vs Timberlane, sounds like it was a good match in the Lowell finals, not having seen it I'm not sure who to pick.

138: Talk about a crazy weight, last years NE champ and 3rd place finisher meet in the round of 32! Two matches later the winner could get Monteiro, the Mass champ who placed last year. I'm gonna go with the defending champ to run the gauntlet and make it back to the finals, beating Howard (who I believe placed a couple years ago) in the semis. Down below, Scalzo from Timberlane, after upsetting Lemieux last week, as a reward he gets the CT kid who beat Lemieux early in the year. I'll take Kane in that one, and I think Behen gives Danvers their first NE placer by making the semis. I'll take Kane over Lemieux in the finals. Watch out for Weir tho, he was 6th in MA last year before taking 3rd at NE, he will be a bracket buster and ruin someone's tournament this weekend!

145: I think this is Peters weight to lose. I think he may have a tough match in the quarters with O'Connell from RI, guessing he has the CT champ in the semis. Down below I think Licastri, the CT2 has placed at NE before, he catches the MA1 in the quarters and I'll take the winner of that to be in the finals with Peters winning.

152: I think this is the weight I know the least about, recognize a few names but don't know if any of these guys have placed before. Since I'm a NH guy now I'll pick the NH champ to win it, possible beating the Marshwood kid in the semis and as a blind guess I'll take the CT1 up top.

160: Stating the obvious here but this weight is Viruet and everyone else, don't think he'll be challenged much this year. I think the winner of the Howarth vs Odell quarter down below will be his finals opponent.

170: This one has been talked about a lot, the potential Hughes vs Hoehn final. Fortunately they are on opposite sides of the bracket, so it could and probably will happen. Mills from NH is tough and could be Hoehn's semi final opponent. Falbo down below was 3rd at 152 as a freshmen last year and a friend of mine from CT tells me he looks awesome this year and he thinks he can possibly upset the two big names here. I'll stick with pick the final everyone is expecting, but picking a winner is tough. Hughes has been in the same weight at Hoehn all 4 years and always outplaced him, but Hoehn has improved a lot and will be wrestling in his home gym, so that makes it even tougher to pick a winner. I guess I'll flip a coin later and see who I pick to win, just hoping it will be an exciting match!

182: Like 160, this weight should be Garcia and everybody else. All 3 NH kids here are tough, all the MA kids here are tough. Other than picking Garcia to win, I have no idea how the rest of the bracket will play out.

195: This weight has 3 legit studs and all 3 are separated in the bracket. Mattison from MAU was 2nd at this weight last year, Thomas was the champ at 182 last year and they figure to meet in the semis. Mattison will have his work cut out for him with a returning placer from Londonderry as his first match, then the RI champ in the quarters. Barreiro placed down at 170 last year but beat Mattison in the Lowell finals and from everything I've read he has looked great this year. I think we'll see him vs Thomas in the final, although Mattison winning the whole thing wouldn't shock me, and I don't know who to pick if that final does happen.

220: Butterbrodt obviously a step above everyone here as the returning champ. I think the Maine kid Curtis will be his toughest competition and they meet in the semis. Everyone else in this bracket seems so have all beaten each other and all had very close matches, so the rest of the placers are anyone's guess. MAU could really use something out of Luciano who was a match away from placing two years ago but seems to end up a point or two short with all the top guys.

285: Easily the most unpredictable weight, as is usually the case. Not uncommon to see MA4, 5, 6 or CT 3 or 4 place while the champs don't. There's no Jesse Webb or any other dominant standout this year like most years. Shrews bury was 3rd last year but only 3rd in MA this year. I hear the NH heavy moves really well for a big guy, don't know anything about CT, RI, or ME guys, so I guess I have no predictions here other than I expect upsets and surprises.

Marshwood is a team that could steal it if MAU underperforms. They have 6 kids qualified, and I could easily see 3 or 4 making the finals or at least the semis.

Cape cod mat sports
Tue Mar 03 2015, 05:45PM
Registered Member #9001
Committed to college_ Greg Zaw--Div 2 Coker College in South carolina
j johnson
Wed Mar 04 2015, 10:35AM
Registered Member #2580
[quote]
[quote]

[/quote142540695

Marshwood has 8 qualifiers, 106, 113, 126, 145, 152, 160, 170, 182.
[/quote1425486912]

Sorry, typo. Corrected
WarrenMcQ
Wed Mar 04 2015, 11:41AM
Registered Member #572
Has Cody Hughes, Jastice Bolden and Anthony Falbo ever wrestled each other??
champ967
Thu Mar 05 2015, 03:14PM
Registered Member #13681
Morris vs Raposo
Murillo vs Thompson
Murillo over Morris

Opsal vs Celico
Aquino vs Rezendes
Aquino over Opsal

Gassaway vs Fields
Beaulieu vs Kane
Gassaway over Beaulieu

Lafountain vs Wesolowski
Ryan vs Cannone
Ryan over Lafountain

Lemieux vs Howard
Behen vs Kane
Lemieux over Behen

Peters vs Fernandes
Ball vs Hahr
Peters over Ball

Boyle vs Stetson
Levesque vs Goodall
Levesque over Boyle

Viruet vs Berry
Odell vs Weyant
Viruet over Odell

Hoehn vs Caffrey
Hughes vs Falbo
Hoehn over Hughes

Garcia vs Geiger
Lonergan vs Humphries
Garcia over Lonergan

Thomas vs Mattison
Barreiro vs Wensley
Thomas over Barreiro

Butterbrodt vs Curtis
Rose vs Luciano
Butterbrodt over Rose

Broderick vs Shrewsbury
Murray vs Heald
Murray over Broderick
Go to page: Go to page  [1] 2          << Previous thread | Next thread >>

Jump:     Back to top

Moderators: Mike Atlas, CoachMiller, The Rankings Team, JMode, Shvarts, eoghanjames, Jim Maher, plm_77, jubele135, Hill Billy, psch, tourneygeek, NE_07, Sam Shames, Chicken Wing Coach, New England Rankings, matchamp99, Nuge
Click to see our RSS feeds available -->
Recent Wrestling Boxscores
see all | submit | rss

02/09/2017----------
Barnstable-40
Plymouth North-15
02/08/2017----------
Weymouth-17
Walpole-52
02/08/2017----------
North Attleboro-51
Oliver Ames-12
Newest Posts
Re: NCAA D-I Nat'l. Wrestling Tourn. Forges New MMA Talent
Ex-wrestlers Warren, Storley, Cotton winners ...
Posted by Chicken Wing Coach
Jul 26 17 : 20:24

Re: 2nd. Annual Agawam Fall Wrestling Classic Tournament (11-18-2017)
***If "Pre-Registering, please fill out form ...
Jul 26 17 : 19:45

Support Nick Logan former Lowell and RIC wrestler
I haven't posted here in years ! Had to do t...
Posted by pain train
Jul 25 17 : 22:00

Gold Medal Wrestling Club (Harvad Unv.)
Posted by tabdura2
Jul 25 17 : 18:57

Re: 2nd. Annual Agawam Fall Wrestling Classic Tournament (11-18-2017)
Additional Information as follows:Weigh-Ins: ...
Jul 25 17 : 18:31

2nd. Annual Agawam Fall Wrestling Classic Tournament (11-18-2017)
2nd. Annual Agawam Fall Classic Pre season W...
Jul 24 17 : 19:31

Private Lessons Specializing in Upperweight Instruction
Hello all,I have just returned from Israel wh...
Posted by Donald.m.mcneil
Jul 24 17 : 09:09

Support MassWrestling. Click a link!