MassWrestling.com :: Forums :: Rankings and Predictions

2014-15 MassWrestling Rankings as of 24-FEB-2015  Go to page  1 [2]
mray
Thu Mar 05 2015, 07:49AM
Registered Member #278
GeorgeTheAnimal wrote ...

t3chfa11 wrote ...

The Rankings Team wrote ...

We VERY RARELY rank anyone who doesn't wrestle sectionals. Staying healthy is part of the sport, it's not fair to those who did compete to rank someone who did not.

"Staying healthy is part of the sport, it's not fair to those who did compete to rank someone who did not". I don't think it should matter who you are... Anyone that did not compete,
INCLUDING Reyes should not be ranked. There shouldn't be an exception. It isn't fair to the one's who stayed healthy and competed. I know I'll get crap for this but it is true...
I know it says sectionals but still he did not compete he should not be ranked in my opinion part of the sport is staying healthy all season it is not fair to take it away from those who did.

Dropping wrestlers completely off the rankings because they miss a year end tournament is kind of absurd, and the result is not a true ranking. Obviously Reyes is the most glaring
example, but all wrestlers deserve what they've earned all season. Wrestlers that get injured or miss matches during the season don't get immediately dropped from the rankings list.

That's why I don't put any stock in the rankings. If Eric Reyes isn't #2 on the rankings how can you even consider these to be correct. All-States is one tournament. Rankings should be, also, based on body of work. They are usually biased to begin with. I'm not saying that it is purposeful but there is always a nod given to the D-1 and D-2 wrestler over a D-3 wrestler. Even in the D-3 rankings there are guys left out. I rarely, if ever, question the rankings. It's supposed to be for fun but sometimes you wish a kid , who is deserving, sees his name on the list. I'll give you 2 examples of kids who should absolutely be on the list from my team even if only as honorable mentions. Their body of work dictates that.

mray
Thu Mar 05 2015, 07:52AM
Registered Member #278
As an addition to my previous statement I just want to let you know that I never saw the rankings and just checked. Good job rankings team as we are in agreement. Even if we weren't I thank you for your service towards promoting this great sport.
t3chfa11
Thu Mar 05 2015, 11:14AM
Registered Member #14186
montytech160 wrote ...

GeorgeTheAnimal wrote ...

t3chfa11 wrote ...

The Rankings Team wrote ...

We VERY RARELY rank anyone who doesn't wrestle sectionals. Staying healthy is part of the sport, it's not fair to those who did compete to rank someone who did not.

"Staying healthy is part of the sport, it's not fair to those who did compete to rank someone who did not". I don't think it should matter who you are... Anyone that did not compete, INCLUDING Reyes should not be ranked. There shouldn't be an exception. It isn't fair to the one's who stayed healthy and competed. I know I'll get crap for this but it is true...
I know it says sectionals but still he did not compete he should not be ranked in my opinion part of the sport is staying healthy all season it is not fair to take it away from those who did.

Dropping wrestlers completely off the rankings because they miss a year end tournament is kind of absurd, and the result is not a true ranking. Obviously Reyes is the most glaring example, but all wrestlers deserve what they've earned all season. Wrestlers that get injured or miss matches during the season don't get immediately dropped from the rankings list.

Well Niven didn't wrestle at states his senior year but he still picked up an HM at the end of the year

I don't think he should be in the actual rankings but HM is different he definitely deserves that.
speedkills
Thu Mar 05 2015, 05:37PM
Registered Member #8281
I agree the body of work for the season including division, and state results should be considered. I don't have a problem with ranking those that did not compete in AllState to be # 9 or 10 and or HM. They deserve that recognition! Just think the kids that competed in AllState stayed healthy and placed at AllState, should get a higher ranking to those that didn't. And, I have seen Ranking this season drop kids from a 1st or 2nd place ranking to 6-HM because of 1 loss during the season. There is more weight on dropping a kid down than moving a kid up. Not sure if that is calibrated correctly either. But, like always, its a difficult and thank less effort, and I appreciate the Ranking Team, which drives some good discussion. We all have opinions, but I think overall they have solid arguments and rationale for the decisions they make, and do a great job.
wyryri
Sun Mar 08 2015, 10:56AM
Registered Member #14274
wyryri wrote ...

Nate Pacheco Somerset-Berkley at 132 was either ranked or HM all year, Made All-States and now is dropped? Assuming it's an oversight?

Nate Pacheco results this post season should solidify his rightful place. Finished 5th in All States. He didn't place at New England's, but wrestled well and went 2-2.
nb135
Sun Mar 08 2015, 01:15PM
Registered Member #6515
Fritz Hoehn should be the top guy for Pound for pound. Without a real debate
nb135
Sun Mar 08 2015, 01:17PM
Registered Member #6515
There is no such thing as to many Hm's in my opinion
Medic5392
Sun Mar 08 2015, 02:38PM
Registered Member #6539
nb135 wrote ...

Everyone can't be a winner, there can be too many HM's IMHO.
nb135
Sun Mar 08 2015, 02:44PM
Registered Member #6515
Medic5392 wrote ...

nb135 wrote ...

I am talking about good wrestlers who did well all year but either wrestled bad at states or got injured, i am not talking about jv guys being hm
Wrestlerlife24
Sun Mar 08 2015, 03:11PM
Registered Member #10860
nb135 wrote ...

Fritz Hoehn should be the top guy for Pound for pound. Without a real debate

I think Hoehn, Viruet, and Butterbrodt should all be number 1. Just put all three as a tie for number 1. They are all great wrestlers with very little seperating them.
Patsfan
Sun Mar 08 2015, 04:14PM
Registered Member #4545
nb135 wrote ...

Medic5392 wrote ...

nb135 wrote ...

I am talking about good wrestlers who did well all year but either wrestled bad at states or got injured, i am not talking about jv guys being hm

Wrestlers that "did bad" at States haven't earned the right to be mentioned in the same breath as the guys who got it done when it counted the most. It's disrespectful to list them in the same category. There are no points for almost in wrestling.
LibertyMikeC
Sun Mar 08 2015, 04:32PM
Registered Member #8105
IMO Ryan Monteiro should get the top sophomore title: D1 Champ, All-State Champ and New England Runner-up. I don't believe any other 10th grader has accomplished as much this year.
wrestle4good
Mon Mar 09 2015, 07:12AM
Registered Member #13628
Being that Murray is an undefeated New England Champ this year, I think he should be strongly considered for a spot in the top five pound for pound wrestlers. I would also like to point out that heavyweight was the best represented weight for Mass at the New England Tournament. If you don't believe me just take a look at the semi-finals and then the top three. Also look at the week to week improvement of Murray; in the Allstate Finals he fought a nail biter into the final overtime period against Sokol. The following week in the New England Finals he beat Sokol 5-1, last two points were because he always keeps a cool head, and completely shut Sokol down. The score doesn't necessarily reflect it, but he dominated that match with an impressive amount of improvement from the previous week.
Go to page: Go to page  1 [2]          << Previous thread | Next thread >>

Jump:     Back to top

Moderators: Mike Atlas, CoachMiller, The Rankings Team, JMode, Shvarts, eoghanjames, Jim Maher, plm_77, jubele135, Hill Billy, psch, tourneygeek, NE_07, Sam Shames, Chicken Wing Coach, New England Rankings, matchamp99
Click to see our RSS feeds available -->
Recent Wrestling Boxscores
see all | submit | rss

01/18/2017----------
Tyngsboro-15
Algonquin-24
01/18/2017----------
Norton-40
Hopkinton-30
01/18/2017----------
Somerset Berkley-48
Nauset-32
Newest Posts
Re: D2 State Rankings 2016 v1.
onetwo_onetwo wrote ...http://www.miaa.net/ge...
Posted by MrBlastdoubles
Jan 19 17 : 14:17

Mass Oracle - kudos for taking the lead with ...
Posted by Catfish
Jan 19 17 : 12:47

http://www.miaa.net/gen/miaa_generated_bin/do...
Posted by onetwo_onetwo
Jan 19 17 : 12:31

I know Jake Filicicchia (113) for Whitman Han...
Posted by Patrick Stephenson
Jan 19 17 : 12:31

Re: Easton Youth Wrestling
Hey Coach, This is Brett Poirier from the Kry...
Posted by HasBeen140
Jan 19 17 : 12:18

Re: Canton Ma - New year round youth wrestling facility
American Grit MMA, 420 Turnpike St, Canton MA...
Posted by American Grit MMA
Jan 19 17 : 11:40

Pretty sure Cameron Smith of King Phillip is ...
Posted by MrBlastdoubles
Jan 19 17 : 11:09

Support MassWrestling. Click a link!