Newest: durga padhy
Support MassWrestling. Click a link!

Forums
MassWrestling.com :: Forums :: General Discussion

Team States 
nb135
Sun Feb 22 2015, 05:58PM
Registered Member #6515
Hopefully after seeing Dedham almost win a state title with 5 kids, The Miaa will wake up and let there be a true team title, I would pay 20 Bucks to see Prep vs Central in a dual. In my personal opinion we will never know who was the best team in D1 because Prep cant qualify the same amount of kids due to the fact that there in the toughest section.
Bob Tongue
Mon Feb 23 2015, 07:08AM
Registered Member #3633
Website
D1N
9 in finals - 18 finish top 4
D1W
8 in finals - 18 finish top 4
Your argument doesn't hold water. The reality is that the west may not have the numbers but the talent is at a high level. You think that its easy to win a state title coming from the west, but you still have to win the matches on the mat. If the only reason Central could win states is because it is easy to come through the west, explain why central had 8 wrestlers in the semifinals at states. Explain why all eight finished top 4. Explain why Central is sending 9 wrestlers to All States. Is it because division one is the weakest division? Stop making excuses. Prep finished 6th for a reason, they are a good team, just not the best.
Catfish
Mon Feb 23 2015, 07:38AM
Registered Member #11436
What Dedham should be applauded - not used to make an argument for best team. Danvers took 3 championships, Dedham 2, and Wakefield 2. The coaches of these smaller programs sacrifice mightly to train their wrestlers to compete at a highere level. They don't have the numbers so their coaching is just remarkable. When it comes to the definition of best team - some think it is dual - some think it is best quality - and some a combination. D1 North is the cream of Mass wrestling - but Central was the only school with 4 semi-finalist in All States last year. If D1 North is the deepest then what Central has done for the past several years is even more commendable.
nastyhalf
Mon Feb 23 2015, 07:46AM
Registered Member #138
The argument for a Dual Meet Championship is not an argument against Tournament Champs. It is just to recognize that they are not the same thing. Tournament scoring rightfully rewards high achieving individuals with large amounts of team points. Dual meet scoring treats each weight class equally. So although a team with 5 high achievers can win in a tourney format it is much harder to win with 5 in a dual format. One is not better than the other, just different. Both should be recognized.
nawrestler
Mon Feb 23 2015, 10:16AM
Registered Member #4570
Catfish wrote ...

What Dedham should be applauded - not used to make an argument for best team. Danvers took 3 championships, Dedham 2, and Wakefield 2. The coaches of these smaller programs sacrifice mightly to train their wrestlers to compete at a highere level. They don't have the numbers so their coaching is just remarkable. When it comes to the definition of best team - some think it is dual - some think it is best quality - and some a combination. D1 North is the cream of Mass wrestling - but Central was the only school with 4 semi-finalist in All States last year. If D1 North is the deepest then what Central has done for the past several years is even more commendable.

This argument is not about deep section vs easy section. This argument is about what makes a good team. I think there should be some recognition for a coach that perennially puts out a good dual meet team. This means that every kid is being coached and is improving. I also think that a good coach is someone that gets a kid to place high at states. However, 90% of the state place finishers are not coached solely by their HS coach, they go to club or have private instruction. To say that a HS coach is good because he put 5 of his kids in the finals but they all go to Doughboy is not giving the off-season club coaches their due. From what I saw this weekend, it doesn't matter where you go to HS or who your coach is during the season. What matters is what club you belong to and how committed you are to it. I think the individual championships are not a reflection of good HS coaching they are a reflection of kids taking charge of their own success and failure. I think a dual meet championship is a better reflection of good HS coaching because you need those kids who don't commit to off-season to fill the holes between the ones that do.

We wrestled Prep and Central, both are great teams. Both have good coaches. I think Prep would have beaten Central in a dual but obviously couldn't hang in a tournament setting. Does that mean that Coach Darby is better than Coach Costa????

There is room for both championships in Mass. There is a place for a dual meet champ and a individual tourney champ. Did you watch Missouri beat Iowa? One of the best matches I have seen and the atmosphere was intense, something you won't see in a tourney. But Nashoba holding off N. Andover in D2 tourney was also fun to watch. I think we should have both. Other states do...
nb135
Mon Feb 23 2015, 11:21AM
Registered Member #6515
Prep didnt even finish top 5 but everyone knows they could of won states if it was a Dual meet tourney
Bob Tongue
Mon Feb 23 2015, 12:35PM
Registered Member #3633
Website
nb135 wrote ...

Prep didnt even finish top 5 but everyone knows they could of won states if it was a Dual meet tourney

Everyone might be a stretch. I have my doubts, but then again I am biased. I was looking forward to the dual meet at Central but weather canceled the event. I know you think St Johns would win, but that's what everyone thought last year until Central crushed them. Central has a very good dual meet team. Say what you want about team tournament vs dual meet tournament. Either way, Central would have been right there at the end.
Wrestlerlife24
Mon Feb 23 2015, 01:30PM
Registered Member #10860
Bob Tongue wrote ...

nb135 wrote ...

Everyone might be a stretch. I have my doubts, but then again I am biased. I was looking forward to the dual meet at Central but weather canceled the event. I know you think St Johns would win, but that's what everyone thought last year until Central crushed them. Central has a very good dual meet team. Say what you want about team tournament vs dual meet tournament. Either way, Central would have been right there at the end.

I dont know what you have against SJP, but you are talking a lot of crap over something that is meaningless and will never be proven. But i dont know what world 37-23 is crushing someone, but thats just my opinion.
youthwrestlingdad
Mon Feb 23 2015, 01:43PM
Registered Member #11006
nb135 wrote ...

Everyone ????? just a little bias there . Central has how many ? 8 going to all states? How about a firm congratulations to central . Same was said last year and central won that dual .

Prep had a disappointing individual state meet . Life goes on. Very unbecoming to not give central their due. Sure d1 north is tough but it did not stop lawrence or methuen from recently becoming individual tournament state champs .....

dbreen
Mon Feb 23 2015, 01:46PM
Registered Member #2315
Central has the best program in mass right now. Darby is doing an incredible job. Every year they are at the top. The patriots of D1 wrestling!!!
Bob Tongue
Mon Feb 23 2015, 03:13PM
Registered Member #3633
Website
Wrestlerlife24 wrote ...

Bob Tongue wrote ...

nb135 wrote ...

I dont know what you have against SJP, but you are talking a lot of crap over something that is meaningless and will never be proven. But i dont know what world 37-23 is crushing someone, but thats just my opinion.

I have nothing against St Johns prep, I don't think I said anything against that program. Central and St John's Prep have a great relationship. Its a great rivalry in the best of terms. 37-23 is a pretty good win for a team that was supposed to lose, wouldn't you agree? It was interesting the way that day worked out. Central was so geared up for the match against Prep that they lost focus early in the day and got whooped by Shawsheen in the first match of the day. Any good team is capable of beating any other good team. We all have our opinions. Just because I think Central would win doesn't mean I have something against SJP. Cool your jets.
massrat
Mon Feb 23 2015, 05:06PM
Registered Member #14362
nawrestler wrote ...

Catfish wrote ...

This argument is not about deep section vs easy section. This argument is about what makes a good team. I think there should be some recognition for a coach that perennially puts out a good dual meet team. This means that every kid is being coached and is improving. I also think that a good coach is someone that gets a kid to place high at states. However, 90% of the state place finishers are not coached solely by their HS coach, they go to club or have private instruction. To say that a HS coach is good because he put 5 of his kids in the finals but they all go to Doughboy is not giving the off-season club coaches their due. From what I saw this weekend, it doesn't matter where you go to HS or who your coach is during the season. What matters is what club you belong to and how committed you are to it. I think the individual championships are not a reflection of good HS coaching they are a reflection of kids taking charge of their own success and failure. I think a dual meet championship is a better reflection of good HS coaching because you need those kids who don't commit to off-season to fill the holes between the ones that do.

We wrestled Prep and Central, both are great teams. Both have good coaches. I think Prep would have beaten Central in a dual but obviously couldn't hang in a tournament setting. Does that mean that Coach Darby is better than Coach Costa????

There is room for both championships in Mass. There is a place for a dual meet champ and a individual tourney champ. Did you watch Missouri beat Iowa? One of the best matches I have seen and the atmosphere was intense, something you won't see in a tourney. But Nashoba holding off N. Andover in D2 tourney was also fun to watch. I think we should have both. Other states do...

I could not agree more on the impact of offseason and clubs. There are lots of good ones and they all serve a purpose. Some have more tenure and demonstrated consistency than others, but it is that offseason training when combined with the right in season coaching that makes a differance. It is not just showing up for practice, but showing up for practice with an objective in mind that makes a differance. Committment both in season and out of season is what makes the differance between a placer and a champion.
sjp
Mon Feb 23 2015, 05:59PM
Registered Member #1421
Youthwrestlingdad
Lawrence & Methuen both won their state titles during the dual meet era. Dual meet state decided MIAA Champ those years.
youthwrestlingdad
Mon Feb 23 2015, 06:17PM
Registered Member #11006
Wrestlerlife24 wrote ...

Bob Tongue wrote ...

nb135 wrote ...

talking crap ? PLEASE. his team is d1 champ and he is merely responding to a very weak comment from a disappointed SJP fan who was posting the meaningless wodda shooda coulda nonsense. central is d1 individual tourney champ and prep faded. get over it. maybe congratulate them ? they deserve it.

nb135
Mon Feb 23 2015, 06:55PM
Registered Member #6515
I'm from New bedford I thought the screen name would give it away and I'm not a prep team I'm actually not a fan of there's for reasons I rather not post. I was on New Bedford on the state finalist team from 06 and 08. In 06 in the first year of team states we lost to central by 1 match and could of went either way and then in 08 we faced Lowell who in my opinion still the best team in the 2000's in mass. But we never finished 2nd at individual states. They where loaded! So no bias to prep just being honest and what miaa charges they can afford both. 45 bucks for a damn sweat shirt lol
Patsfan
Mon Feb 23 2015, 07:43PM
Registered Member #4545
Oh yeah??? Well, my uncle's wrestling team can kick your uncle's wrestling team's ass! Amazing the legs this discussion has grown given most of the participants are grown ass men.
waf475
Mon Feb 23 2015, 08:25PM
Registered Member #11119
Gentlemen...Mother nature is the winner regarding the "dual"team winner, however, individually, there are a a lot of champions and place finishers who will move on to the next level or become captains of their high school team. They will be the ones who create future champions both individually and as a team along with their dedicated coaches. We (those who love this sport) are forever grateful each and every year our sport GROWS. Stay united. A Fan
GrayDawg
Tue Feb 24 2015, 07:29AM
Registered Member #4288
Patsfan wrote ...

Oh yeah??? Well, my uncle's wrestling team can kick your uncle's wrestling team's ass! Amazing the legs this discussion has grown given most of the participants are grown ass men.

Best response yet........... thanks Jeff- I needed that!
(and good luck to your son at All States!)
Go to page:          << Previous thread | Next thread >>

Jump:     Back to top

Moderators: Mike Atlas, CoachMiller, The Rankings Team, JMode, Shvarts, eoghanjames, Jim Maher, plm_77, jubele135, Hill Billy, psch, tourneygeek, NE_07, Sam Shames, Chicken Wing Coach, New England Rankings, matchamp99, Nuge
Click to see our RSS feeds available -->
Recent Wrestling Boxscores
see all | submit | rss

02/09/2017----------
Barnstable-40
Plymouth North-15
02/08/2017----------
Weymouth-17
Walpole-52
02/08/2017----------
North Attleboro-51
Oliver Ames-12
Newest Posts
Roger Williams University - July 16th Tournament (Youth and High School)
Sunday, July 16th - Compete at the East Coast...
Posted by rwuwrestling123
May 28 17 : 06:57

Tyrant Duals in York, PA January 20-21, 2018
Date: Saturday & Sunday, January 20-21, 2018Location: York Expo Center 334 Carlisle Ave York, PA 17404NEW this year! There will be an All Star and Club division for both the middle school and elementary. The All Star division is for state level teams. The Club division is for school / club teams.Middle School All Star: 8th Grade & Under (1 lb Weight Allowance)MS Weight Class: 60 65 70 75 80 85 90 95 100 105 112 120 130 140 152 175 235Teams Accepting: 24Elementary School All Star: 6th Grade & Under (1 lb Weight Allowance)ES Weight Class: 45 50 55 60 65 70 75 80 85 90 95 100 110 120 150Teams Accepting: 24Middle School Club: 8th Grade & Under (1 lb Weight Allowance)MS Weight Class: 60 65 70 75 80 85 90 95 100 105 112 120 130 140 152 175 235Teams Accepting: 16Elementary School Club: 6th Grade & Under (1 lb Weight Allowance)ES Weight Class: 45 50 55 60 65 70 75 80 85 90 95 100 110 120 150Teams Accepting: 16Miscellaneous:NCAA out of bounds ruleTeam awardsNew this year, Individual and Outstanding Wrestler awardsGuaranteed 8 dual meetsContact:Call or Text (302) 918-5353Email [email protected] tyrantwrestling.com for additional information and registration
Posted by TyrantWrestling
May 26 17 : 09:41

SUMMER WRESTLING CAMP AT TRINITY COLLEGE
Capital Area Wrestling Academy will be hostin...
Posted by Trinity Wrestling
May 25 17 : 21:30

Re: Master Offseason Club & Camp List
Capital Area Wrestling Academy - Summer Camp ...
Posted by Trinity Wrestling
May 25 17 : 21:25

Re: Castleton University has two great camp opportunity's
http://www.castletonsports.com/recreation/cam...
Posted by CSUCOACH
May 25 17 : 20:33

Re: Strength Training for almost 13 year old new to wrestling
Forget Cross fit. Violent, jerky movements a...
Posted by GrayDawg
May 25 17 : 19:09

Re: Olympian Steve Mocco joins Brown University RTC
Mocco named head coach of New England RTC at ...
Posted by Chicken Wing Coach
May 25 17 : 18:16

Support MassWrestling. Click a link!