Thu Feb 26 2015, 12:25PM
Registered Member #4288
AHS611 wrote ...

coachskp wrote ...

nb135 wrote ...

montytech160 wrote ...

nb135 wrote ...

NABC wrote ...

NB 135 - All states was implemented in 1994 as a way to determine seeding for the top 6 wrestlers in MA. The tournament was originally run in one day and no team scoring was not kept for close to 20 years. The tournament was not established to determine the top 16 guys in the state. If that was the case we would have a different system. It is simple to me, if a 7-8 placer from Div 1 wants to go to NEs, finish higher in Div 1, don't argue to take someone else's slot.

Kids don't pick there division, finishing 6th in d3 is not better then top 8 at D1 so your rewarding the easier task, It is like the Nfl rewarding a 7-9 team to have home field. a few years back we had a kid from d1 who finished 6th made it to the Allstate finals, who will never see that from D3, I will always be for rewarding the most talented wrestlers

Exactly kids don't pick their division. Based on your logic you're saying Eric Reyes, Ryan Niven, Derek Golner, Ben Spicer, Alex Kane, Dan Wensley, Chris Sullivan, Chris Behen, Brendan Weir and many others are "unworthy of state titles" due to being from D3, but all these guys have placed at All States, placed at all states and New Englands, or have won all of them. But you know they're just less talented by being from D3. Makes sense

I have no clue how many times i have to say it I am not talking about State titles I am talking about 5th and 6th place finishers are not good enough to compete with the best in the state. D3 is not deep just a couple good kids per weight, outside of injuries I don't think you will see a kid like Dik not place top 6 if he was in D3

You are making the same argument I have made for years with regard to New Englands - there are some who would argue that MA should be able to send more than 6 to NEs in some sort of effort to make the MA teams more competitive and break the Mt A/Timberlane grip on the team title
the fact is that a MA6 does very little at NEs and this a forgiving enough system already - a good kid can have a bad day and still advance from Sectionals/States/All-States
I have argued that we should be sending fewer kids not more but, my argument is significantly muted now that NEs follows the traditional double elimination format but the fact remains that a 7th place kid from All-States isn't going to do much at New Englands - perhaps beat a NH3/RI3/ME3/VT3 but not much more - similarly I would argue that a 7th place kid from D1 isn't going to do much at All-States.
There would probably be the odd situation where a kid had a bad day was sick or something but that would be very much the exception to the rule.
If you are arguing that most D1 7th placers will beat a D3 Champ I think you are very mistaken
If you are arguing that the kids are not generally competitive - that is probably true but at this stage of the game what difference does it make - the All-States is essentially a New England qualifying tournament and if you think that through this format we are not sending the top 6 kids to NEs I think you are wrong - where is the harm in having a couple extra kids in the tourney that are not competitive as long as the ones who are competitive are there, and the D1 7th place kid is not going to NEs (probably ever).
I would challenge you to find out how many D1 6th place kids have gone on to NEs in the past 5 years - my guess is that it is less than 1/year and probably none - changing to format to accommodate 1 kid every couple years doesn't make sense

I disagree that the MA7 wouldn't do damage at New Englands. Just look at Eric Kerr last year.

And two years ago, the MA7 at Hvy (Sean Taylor from Marblehead-Swampscott, a D3 school- no less) got his chance at New Englands and beat the CT State Champ the first day! Once you get to All States, every one of these kids knows how to win. If their opponent walks onto the mat not properly dialed in (for whatever reason), there is no reason why a lower seeded D3 wrestler couldn't or wouldn't beat a higher seeded D1 wrestler. They're all good and will take advantage of opponent's mistakes.

NB135, please note the three different and appropriate uses of the words, "their", "there" & "they're" in the above paragraph. Also, when posting, consider sometimes using a comma (,) or a period (.). They may actually help you in presenting your point to the rest of us........... as totally off base as it may be.
coachskp
Thu Feb 26 2015, 12:43PM
Registered Member #847
GrayDawg wrote ...

AHS611 wrote ...

coachskp wrote ...

nb135 wrote ...

montytech160 wrote ...

nb135 wrote ...

NABC wrote ...

NB 135 - All states was implemented in 1994 as a way to determine seeding for the top 6 wrestlers in MA. The tournament was originally run in one day and no team scoring was not kept for close to 20 years. The tournament was not established to determine the top 16 guys in the state. If that was the case we would have a different system. It is simple to me, if a 7-8 placer from Div 1 wants to go to NEs, finish higher in Div 1, don't argue to take someone else's slot.

Kids don't pick there division, finishing 6th in d3 is not better then top 8 at D1 so your rewarding the easier task, It is like the Nfl rewarding a 7-9 team to have home field. a few years back we had a kid from d1 who finished 6th made it to the Allstate finals, who will never see that from D3, I will always be for rewarding the most talented wrestlers

Exactly kids don't pick their division. Based on your logic you're saying Eric Reyes, Ryan Niven, Derek Golner, Ben Spicer, Alex Kane, Dan Wensley, Chris Sullivan, Chris Behen, Brendan Weir and many others are "unworthy of state titles" due to being from D3, but all these guys have placed at All States, placed at all states and New Englands, or have won all of them. But you know they're just less talented by being from D3. Makes sense

I have no clue how many times i have to say it I am not talking about State titles I am talking about 5th and 6th place finishers are not good enough to compete with the best in the state. D3 is not deep just a couple good kids per weight, outside of injuries I don't think you will see a kid like Dik not place top 6 if he was in D3

You are making the same argument I have made for years with regard to New Englands - there are some who would argue that MA should be able to send more than 6 to NEs in some sort of effort to make the MA teams more competitive and break the Mt A/Timberlane grip on the team title
the fact is that a MA6 does very little at NEs and this a forgiving enough system already - a good kid can have a bad day and still advance from Sectionals/States/All-States
I have argued that we should be sending fewer kids not more but, my argument is significantly muted now that NEs follows the traditional double elimination format but the fact remains that a 7th place kid from All-States isn't going to do much at New Englands - perhaps beat a NH3/RI3/ME3/VT3 but not much more - similarly I would argue that a 7th place kid from D1 isn't going to do much at All-States.
There would probably be the odd situation where a kid had a bad day was sick or something but that would be very much the exception to the rule.
If you are arguing that most D1 7th placers will beat a D3 Champ I think you are very mistaken
If you are arguing that the kids are not generally competitive - that is probably true but at this stage of the game what difference does it make - the All-States is essentially a New England qualifying tournament and if you think that through this format we are not sending the top 6 kids to NEs I think you are wrong - where is the harm in having a couple extra kids in the tourney that are not competitive as long as the ones who are competitive are there, and the D1 7th place kid is not going to NEs (probably ever).
I would challenge you to find out how many D1 6th place kids have gone on to NEs in the past 5 years - my guess is that it is less than 1/year and probably none - changing to format to accommodate 1 kid every couple years doesn't make sense

I disagree that the MA7 wouldn't do damage at New Englands. Just look at Eric Kerr last year.

And two years ago, the MA7 at Hvy (Sean Taylor from Marblehead-Swampscott, a D3 school- no less) got his chance at New Englands and beat the CT State Champ the first day! Once you get to All States, every one of these kids knows how to win. If their opponent walks onto the mat not properly dialed in (for whatever reason), there is no reason why a lower seeded D3 wrestler couldn't or wouldn't beat a higher seeded D1 wrestler. They're all good and will take advantage of opponent's mistakes.

NB135, please note the three different and appropriate uses of the words, "their", "there" & "they're" in the above paragraph. Also, when posting, consider sometimes using a comma (,) or a period (.). They may actually help you in presenting your point to the rest of us........... as totally off base as it may be.

Did they place?
(sorry to keep this going - the other thread disappeared)
Medic5392
Thu Feb 26 2015, 12:46PM
Registered Member #6539
All States is fine, if a kid places in his sectional then his state they should go to All States. A lot of states do not do one state champ anymore and I am glad we do it and continue to do it. The fact that a D3 kid may not do much on average compared to the rest is not an argument to take away their slots, it is the All States, let the chips fall where they may.

Coachskp, I disagree about more kids at NEs for CT and MA and correct me if I am wrong, but have MA 5th and 6ths traditionally outscored NH, RI and VT 3s?
JaredWare
Thu Feb 26 2015, 01:18PM
Registered Member #11001
For anyone who is unable to make it to Salem for the Finals, myself and Brett Poirier will be streaming the matches live on the NFHS Network (www.nfhsnetwork.com). It's not a free stream (I'm not sure how much it costs), but that's out of our control. Again, it's an option if you want live video or an archived copy after the fact.
coachskp
Thu Feb 26 2015, 02:04PM
Registered Member #847
JaredWare wrote ...

For anyone who is unable to make it to Salem for the Finals, myself and Brett Poirier will be streaming the matches live on the NFHS Network (www.nfhsnetwork.com). It's not a free stream (I'm not sure how much it costs), but that's out of our control. Again, it's an option if you want live video or an archived copy after the fact.

Nice - Glad to hear it - Congrats - I am sure you will represent Hudson well
speedkills
Thu Feb 26 2015, 07:29PM
Registered Member #8281
Good Luck to all the AllState qualifiers. Looking forward to a great tournament this year. Many have different opinions on placers, finalists and champions, but it will be settled in 2 days. Respect to all these kids who have put in a lot of hardwork for years to make it to this point. Doesn't happen overnight. The negativity on this post is old.. We should be talking about successes and accomplishments these kids have earned, even if they were not recognized by Ma Ranking all season. If they made it to AllStates, they deserve the recognition now.
hodgiman
Thu Feb 26 2015, 08:26PM
Registered Member #5325
Very well said speedkills!!!
w1nbyp1n
Fri Feb 27 2015, 09:04AM
Registered Member #11536
speedkills wrote ...

Good Luck to all the AllState qualifiers. Looking forward to a great tournament this year. Many have different opinions on placers, finalists and champions, but it will be settled in 2 days. Respect to all these kids who have put in a lot of hardwork for years to make it to this point. Doesn't happen overnight. The negativity on this post is old.. We should be talking about successes and accomplishments these kids have earned, even if they were not recognized by Ma Ranking all season. If they made it to AllStates, they deserve the recognition now.

Exactly , couldn't agree more
realityking
Fri Feb 27 2015, 12:00PM
Registered Member #12824
Opinions being shared all season of who is better, fathers coming online to promote their kids and where a team or individual should be ranked, etc. is all thrown out the window.

Wrestlers now have the chance to prove out their ability regardless of their division (D1, D2, D3)

This is when the tough schedules, the hard practices and the individual sacrifices that were made all play out for everyone to see.

Best of luck to all of the qualifiers and lets hope for a competitive tournament with great sportsmanship regardless of the individual outcome.
xbmhswrestler
Fri Feb 27 2015, 03:12PM
Registered Member #2918
Is KAP right? Jacobson just pinned acquino?
realityking
Fri Feb 27 2015, 03:27PM
Registered Member #12824
Chase112
Fri Feb 27 2015, 03:48PM
Registered Member #13675
xbmhswrestler wrote ...

Is KAP right? Jacobson just pinned acquino?

Yes, that's correct. Just had it confirmed to me.
Chase112
Fri Feb 27 2015, 03:55PM
Registered Member #13675
Jacobson took neutral in the second period then brought Aquino right to his back with a fireman's carry
Wrestlerlife24
Fri Feb 27 2015, 05:08PM
Registered Member #10860
Chase112 wrote ...

Jacobson took neutral in the second period then brought Aquino right to his back with a fireman's carry

Ive heard from multiple people he cradles him? Either way what a huge upset! Sure does shake things up a bit at 113.
GrayDawg
Fri Feb 27 2015, 10:51PM
Registered Member #4288
Wrestlerlife24 wrote ...

Chase112 wrote ...

Ive heard from multiple people he cradles him? Either way what a huge upset! Sure does shake things up a bit at 113.

Aquino was pinned via cradle..... I saw it.
dumbell
Sat Feb 28 2015, 04:23PM
Registered Member #5974
Some parents are just nuts!
fan4life
Sat Feb 28 2015, 07:34PM
Registered Member #11496
Think it is time make Fritz number 3 on the P4P rankings.
bfw68
Sat Feb 28 2015, 08:03PM
Registered Member #4381
Honestly number 2 is more like it. Taking no prisoners
Chase112
Sat Feb 28 2015, 11:49PM
Registered Member #13675
bfw68 wrote ...

Honestly number 2 is more like it. Taking no prisoners

Considering how good Bolden is, that was one of the most impressive performances I've seen this season.
Go to page: Go to page  1 2 3 4 [5]          << Previous thread | Next thread >>

Jump:     Back to top

Moderators: Mike Atlas, CoachMiller, The Rankings Team, JMode, Shvarts, eoghanjames, Jim Maher, plm_77, jubele135, Hill Billy, psch, tourneygeek, NE_07, Sam Shames, Chicken Wing Coach, New England Rankings, matchamp99, Nuge
Click to see our RSS feeds available -->
Recent Wrestling Boxscores
see all | submit | rss

02/09/2017----------
Barnstable-40
Plymouth North-15
02/08/2017----------
Weymouth-17
Walpole-52
02/08/2017----------
North Attleboro-51
Oliver Ames-12
Newest Posts
Roger Williams University - July 16th Tournament (Youth and High School)
Sunday, July 16th - Compete at the East Coast...
Posted by rwuwrestling123
May 28 17 : 06:57

Tyrant Duals in York, PA January 20-21, 2018
Date: Saturday & Sunday, January 20-21, 2018Location: York Expo Center 334 Carlisle Ave York, PA 17404NEW this year! There will be an All Star and Club division for both the middle school and elementary. The All Star division is for state level teams. The Club division is for school / club teams.Middle School All Star: 8th Grade & Under (1 lb Weight Allowance)MS Weight Class: 60 65 70 75 80 85 90 95 100 105 112 120 130 140 152 175 235Teams Accepting: 24Elementary School All Star: 6th Grade & Under (1 lb Weight Allowance)ES Weight Class: 45 50 55 60 65 70 75 80 85 90 95 100 110 120 150Teams Accepting: 24Middle School Club: 8th Grade & Under (1 lb Weight Allowance)MS Weight Class: 60 65 70 75 80 85 90 95 100 105 112 120 130 140 152 175 235Teams Accepting: 16Elementary School Club: 6th Grade & Under (1 lb Weight Allowance)ES Weight Class: 45 50 55 60 65 70 75 80 85 90 95 100 110 120 150Teams Accepting: 16Miscellaneous:NCAA out of bounds ruleTeam awardsNew this year, Individual and Outstanding Wrestler awardsGuaranteed 8 dual meetsContact:Call or Text (302) 918-5353Email [email protected] tyrantwrestling.com for additional information and registration
Posted by TyrantWrestling
May 26 17 : 09:41

SUMMER WRESTLING CAMP AT TRINITY COLLEGE
Capital Area Wrestling Academy will be hostin...
Posted by Trinity Wrestling
May 25 17 : 21:30

Re: Master Offseason Club & Camp List
Capital Area Wrestling Academy - Summer Camp ...
Posted by Trinity Wrestling
May 25 17 : 21:25

Re: Castleton University has two great camp opportunity's
http://www.castletonsports.com/recreation/cam...
Posted by CSUCOACH
May 25 17 : 20:33

Re: Strength Training for almost 13 year old new to wrestling
Forget Cross fit. Violent, jerky movements a...
Posted by GrayDawg
May 25 17 : 19:09

Re: Olympian Steve Mocco joins Brown University RTC
Mocco named head coach of New England RTC at ...
Posted by Chicken Wing Coach
May 25 17 : 18:16

Support MassWrestling. Click a link!