Support MassWrestling. Click a link!

Forums
MassWrestling.com :: Forums :: Youth Wrestling

MWYA STATE Weigh In  Go to page  1 [2]
jlaff3
Tue Feb 17 2015, 01:43PM
Registered Member #11900
CoachDarl wrote ...

I appreciate the spirited debate taking place on this forum. Please understand that all options were on the table as it relates to having to change on the fly with regards to weather and how it affected the post season MYWA series. Cancelling the Sectionals was not a choice taken lightly by the Board, but was the best option given safety for all and being as inclusive as possible for all.
Weigh ins have taken place as planned. There were some no shows and those individuals will receive refunds which will take time to process. We have received requests to add people and registration is now open for them. They will have to weigh in the morning of their tournament and be dropping into the tourney as unseeded. We have also secured two locations (with snow dates if necessary) on dates which are different so that parents and coaches can attend both events rather than going on the same day which presents a conflict. We have even agreed to compensate one of the Sectional hosts for tee shirts they purchased in order to make their program whole.
Regarding the USA issue brought up. I am a USA wrestling coach and my three kids are all active members....however, the weights MYWA has implemented is based upon RAW WEIGH IN DATA for the past five seasons of every wrestler who weighed in for a MYWA tournament. This is far superior on a competitive basis than the 5lb USA option of weights. In addition, if you implement the mandate all must carry a $35 USA card in Mass, you will have a revolt.

OK.....weigh ins. While I agree with some of the issues brought up here re cutting, the minority should not hold hostage the majority. What I mean is, some kids cut but the majority in Mass are not cutting more than a few pounds. In the National tournaments, this is NOT the case: they are cutting a lot to get a competitive advantage. Not so much in Mass. Of the 700 kids competing at both States flights, I would estimate the number cutting more than 5% of body weight to be less than 5%. We have 23 kids on our team and not one cut more than 1-2lbs.
As for some of the arguments here:
1) We didn't give any weight, all the kids had to make weight. NH is giving 2lbs at their INITIAL weigh in. We didn't give anything
2) Marshwoods: are you kidding? Standing in line outside the night before for 2 hours is a lousy example. After all, this tournament is held in April when the weather is much more benign
3) Big Red et al, holds their weigh ins at various locations 2-3 nights before the event which takes place on a single day. If we conducted similar weigh ins again it would require two separate dates per Grades 5-6 this week and then Grades 7-8 next week. Doing a weigh in for Grades 5/6 during the middle of February break: a logistical nightmare for those away.
4) Weigh ins the morning of also would be crazy as well. This Sunday there is snow forecasted for Lawrence. Weighing in would create huge delays as we would have to hold weigh ins open longer due to weather and then re bracket those not making weight or no shows, reseed, etc. How late do you want the day to go? Doing this for Grades 7-8 is even crazier on the day of as we would have to logistically account for over 400 wrestlers. This is MORE than the number weighed in the morning of normal States for both flights of Grades 5/6 & 7/8. In addition, with the two flights separated, the window to weigh in was roughly 5 hours. We would only have about an hour to 90 minutes at most to weigh and then process everyone doing Grades 7/8 States this year. If we have added delays (weather, rebracketing, drops/adds), what time would you like this tournament to start, nevermind end??? With an average of 25 kids per weight class, getting the tournament going and completed in a reasonable time is the priority.

I am on the Board of MYWA and I am just one of 9 votes. Last night we spent over two hours meeting on these topics and doing the seeding for the upcoming events. Everything was on the table and yet we unanimously decided to follow the route provided last week in order to offer the best wrestling experience for all wrestlers and their families.

Todd thanks for getting back to some concerned parents.

I will say MYWA does a great job with this event!

On this situation though I will agree to disagree with the decision.

Thanks John.
johnsDad
Thu Feb 19 2015, 10:52AM
Registered Member #9822
CoachDarl wrote ...

I am a USA wrestling coach and my three kids are all active members.

OK.....weigh ins. While I agree with some of the issues brought up here re cutting, the minority should not hold hostage the majority. What I mean is, some kids cut but the majority in Mass are not cutting more than a few pounds. In the National tournaments, this is NOT the case: they are cutting a lot to get a competitive advantage. Not so much in Mass. Of the 700 kids competing at both States flights, I would estimate the number cutting more than 5% of body weight to be less than 5%. We have 23 kids on our team and not one cut more than 1-2lbs.

I am on the Board of MYWA and I am just one of 9 votes. Last night we spent over two hours meeting on these topics and doing the seeding for the upcoming events. Everything was on the table and yet we unanimously decided to follow the route provided last week in order to offer the best wrestling experience for all wrestlers and their families.

I think a good show of faith to the masses for all families then, would be to weigh in these 23 kids from your club, to include your own kids and any other board members' kids who made this decision for all. These weighins should be out in the open / public the morning of the state tournament. This would be a true test to your word and calm anyone's fears. It wouldn't hurt anyone because just proving your point and wouldn't take long to weigh in this small portion of kids. Let the board lead by example. Eagerly awaiting your reply
Carlascooz
Thu Feb 19 2015, 11:06AM
Registered Member #11519
Let it go man. Let it go.

The original plan was for weigh-ins the night before sectionals. I don't think MYWA is using snowmaggedon as a means to get an unfair advantage for their wrestlers.
950esc
Thu Feb 19 2015, 11:11AM
Registered Member #10185
Y let it go? makes sense 2 prove their point. back what they r saying 2 every1
Carlascooz
Thu Feb 19 2015, 11:19AM
Registered Member #11519
Is there any reason to think that MYWA board members are gaming the system? If not then let's not force their wrestlers to do anything that our wrestlers aren't doing.
Jim Maher
Thu Feb 19 2015, 11:33AM

JohnsDad,

If you aren't happy with the MYWA solution, you can protest by not participating in the MYWA Tournament. As a former board member, gaming the system is not who or what this board is about and would never let it happen. If you question the MYWA board, you question Steve Henry’s integrity and I won’t stand for that. Just go away if you’re not happy, but your kid is welcome.
johnsDad
Thu Feb 19 2015, 11:39AM
Registered Member #9822
i think the answer is, most feel there should be a weigh-in the morning of the states for ALL WRESTLERS to ensure everyone is within the weight range. However, the board's rebuttal is there isn't time for that, and cutting isn't an issue in MA and are using a statement that none of their 23 members cut more than a pound or two as the basis for the argument to not have weigh-ins, then the statement should be put to the test. Or have everyone weigh-in. if their basis for the arguments are true, should be an easy task to go through. Lead by example.
CoachDarl
Tue Feb 24 2015, 12:15PM
Registered Member #5363
Just seeing these responses. Between high school States and work....

The sole reason we cannot do weigh ins before each State Tourney flight is logistics. Pure and simple we cannot complete a tournament with 250 and 400+ participants in one day if there are delays associated with weighing in, data entry and then redrawing brackets. What happens if there are technical delays? To intimate we, as a Board, are doing this for competitive advantages is a complete joke. It comes down to logistics. We have people coming from 5 minutes away and 2 hours away. To ask all to weigh in at, say 8am, concluding at 9am then to enter all into KAP's system and redraw brackets and then to start, run and complete the tourney at a reasonable hour is improbable. What time is reasonable to end: 10pm? midnight? Then to have everyone drive home and get the kids ready for school the next day....these are legitimate concerns that the Board is dealing with.

As for the Board: while we are mostly coaches for a team, I think I am the only one with kids (meaning my kids) participating at both States. My oldest is in 8th and recently weighed in at Wildwood at 97.4 for the 100lb class (ask Fallon, Bogle and anyone else that was there). He plans to wrestle 96 at TOC and War on the Shore. My 5th grader weighed in at 84.1 for MYWA to compete at 85 and wants to go 82 for TOC and War on the Shore. Please stop by tonight at 8 after our practice if you would like to 'check' their weights. If you really want, come up to me on Sunday and ask. But if you really want to help and not complain as an anonymous name on this site, then run for a Board seat and do something tangible.
onetwo_onetwo
Tue Feb 24 2015, 01:00PM
Registered Member #14185
While I am not critiquing the board's decision making process, (I believe they are doing what they can with the situation they are in) I think that their situation is unacceptable. As a youth wrestler I participated in 25-30 tournaments each year, wrestling over 150 matches between Oct-Mar all over Pennsylvania, Maryland and New Jersey. And 75% of those tournaments only offered morning weigh-ins. This was before automated bracket systems were commonplace and many brackets were handwritten.

The issue that the MYWA has is a lack of volunteers and experience to make this work. I have not lived in MA long enough to know how long the youth and middle school post season has been done or what changes have been made, but the number of complaints far outweigh the number of volunteers.
deepbrook
Tue Feb 24 2015, 01:44PM
Registered Member #11658
No idea how youth weigh-ins work, so if this idea has already been considered, disregard. Would it help to do weigh-ins by weight class? For instance, start with a random weight class (or group of weight classes, announced in advance, of course), weigh them in, then move on to the next class/group. That way, you can complete a small set of brackets and get the wrestling started while the next classes/groups are weighing in and those later brackets are getting created.
tourneygeek
Thu Feb 26 2015, 09:47PM

Middle School Names by weight : [link]

Names at bottom are kids that will need to weigh on site. If there is a problem with this data please email -email-
dfd
Fri Feb 27 2015, 01:23PM
Registered Member #14432
What is the start time for the Middle School tournament? The [link] site has conflicting information, “Start Time: Doors open at 7:00 AM wrestling starts at 9:05 AM Opening Ceremonies – 9:30am, Competition Starts – 10:00 am, Award Presentations – End of Tournament – Adjacent Gym Full Concessions in our cafeteria, 2015 State Tournament Shirts”
Carlascooz
Fri Feb 27 2015, 02:23PM
Registered Member #11519
dfd wrote ...

...Opening Ceremonies – 9:30am...

Arghhh...opening ceremonies? We've got 32 man brackets...let's not make the day any longer than it has to be.
Carlascooz
Sun Mar 01 2015, 07:47PM
Registered Member #11519
I take back my last comment. It was an honor to hear Carl Adams speak.
CoachDarl
Mon Mar 02 2015, 09:03AM
Registered Member #5363
Congratulations to Jason Cledes and Danvers for pulling off an excellent tournament yesterday. He saw every detail was taken care of from opening ceremonies (color guard, Carl Adams), to a professional photographer at the awards podium. He even arranged shuttle buses from the middle school to the high school for parking overflow.
The tournament started around 10:25 and ended around 7pm. If we decided to do weigh ins the morning of, there is NO DOUBT that it would have delayed us by 90 minutes to 2 hours. During the entire day, I only had one person ask if there was a check scale so I am very pleased we let the silent majority dictate as opposed to the vocal minority....and, yes, I was in the registration room where the scale was located until 9:40 and, surprisingly, johnsdad et al did not introduce themselves to me.....
Go to page: Go to page  1 [2]          << Previous thread | Next thread >>

Jump:     Back to top

Moderators: Mike Atlas, CoachMiller, The Rankings Team, JMode, Shvarts, eoghanjames, Jim Maher, plm_77, jubele135, Hill Billy, psch, tourneygeek, NE_07, Sam Shames, Chicken Wing Coach, New England Rankings, matchamp99
Click to see our RSS feeds available -->
Recent Wrestling Boxscores
see all | submit | rss

01/15/2017----------
Reading-12
Shawsheen Tech-62
01/15/2017----------
Shawsheen Tech-47
Wakefield-17
01/15/2017----------
Shawsheen Tech-39
Greater Lawrence-24
Newest Posts
Re: 2016-17 MassWrestling Rankings - 1/10/17
Yes, but he's a 113
Posted by Wrestlingmommie
Jan 17 17 : 17:40

Wrestlingmommie wrote ...No he's 113 but gets...
Posted by MrBlastdoubles
Jan 17 17 : 13:50

No he's 113 but gets bumped up a lot
Posted by Wrestlingmommie
Jan 17 17 : 13:12

Wrestlingmommie wrote ...Nathianiel Green Met...
Posted by MrBlastdoubles
Jan 17 17 : 12:58

Re: Marlborough Tournament Upset
brackets?
Posted by Deck
Jan 17 17 : 10:12

72" Dummy, 12x12 Mat, Sled Battle, Rope, Plyo Box $319
Just because winter has arrived doesn't mean ...
Posted by ownthemat
Jan 17 17 : 10:01

Teamspladel wrote ...Cantons 126 Eddie Marini...
Posted by Evaneezer
Jan 17 17 : 07:59

Support MassWrestling. Click a link!