Newest: durga padhy
Support MassWrestling. Click a link!

Forums
MassWrestling.com :: Forums :: Youth Wrestling

MWYA STATE Weigh In  Go to page  [1] 2
jlaff3
Fri Feb 13 2015, 09:22AM
Registered Member #11900
Just to be sure there is only 1 weigh inn and that's tonight 2/13/15 there will be no weigh in on March 1st for Middle School correct?
Damage Inc
Fri Feb 13 2015, 11:11AM
Registered Member #8744
Correct
950esc
Fri Feb 13 2015, 11:25AM
Registered Member #10185
y wud they not weigh-in on the morning of 3/1/15 right b4 wrestling?? no way the only weigh-in is 2 weeks b4 the tournney
GrayDawg
Fri Feb 13 2015, 12:27PM
Registered Member #4288
950esc wrote ...

y wud they not weigh-in on the morning of 3/1/15 right b4 wrestling?? no way the only weigh-in is 2 weeks b4 the tournney

weigh-ins are tonight, 9 days before the tourney. This way brackets can be created, adjusted and ready to go right when kids walk in the morning of the tourney. A superior wrestler will beat an inferior wrestler regardless of whether he is 5 pounds lighter, 5 pounds heavier or the exact same weight. 3/4's of these kids are 5th, 6th and 7th graders....... you can't tell me these kids are sucking any type of significant weight prior to weigh-ins then putting on 7 pounds in 9 days. Most of them have super fast metabolisms and putting on weight for a 6th grader isn't as easy as putting on weight as an 11th grader.

Coach the kids up, send them out there and let them learn and have fun. This is a pretty damn good alternative given the weather coming in. Everyone needs to relax and just go with the flow with this one.
950esc
Fri Feb 13 2015, 12:45PM
Registered Member #10185
2/13 to 3/1 is 2 weeks 4 MS. yeah, make wt 2night as if tourney 2morrow, but always a weigh in on morning of states
bill_
Fri Feb 13 2015, 01:21PM
Registered Member #9880
Each year they have had weigh ins on the Morning of States. There is no reason this can't still happen as they have 5-6 and 7-8th on different days since the number will be lower. There was never an indication that the weigh ins at States have been canceled, Only that the sectional tournaments have been cancelled. So it would seem that there will be weigh ins the morning of States. I assume this weigh in was just for seeding.

"Please read carefully.......(this is Youth not HS)

All 5-8 Wrestlers registered for Sectionals……..

Due to the pending snow storm the MYWA Sectional Tourneys have been cancelled.

However weigh ins will go on as scheduled, where ever they were. (North is Friday Night from 5:30pm-8:00pm at North Andover High School)

In place of this year’s Sectional tourneys will be 2 separate State Tournaments:

1. Grades 5-6 State Tournament - Sunday February 22, 2015 at Lawrence HS
2. Grades 7-8 State Tournament - Sunday March 1, 2015 at Danvers HS

The Grade 5-6 date is in place of the Big East Tourney which will not be held this year.
The Grade 7-8 is on same date as previously scheduled.

Please go to MYWA website for the most up to date information"

jlaff3
Fri Feb 13 2015, 01:25PM
Registered Member #11900
I have to agree every other State. Has weigh In the day of or the night before. 2 weeks 2 days I think that is a little unusual. I wonder if high school states and all states do this anyone know?
jlaff3
Fri Feb 13 2015, 01:27PM
Registered Member #11900
Bill I asked a MYWA official James Kennedy he said tonight is the only weigh In
Takedown73
Sat Feb 14 2015, 09:03AM
Registered Member #12222
Isn't there a rule about not being more than 3lbs over on the day of a tournament? If this is true and there are no weigh in's on the day of states they should have a challenge scale there
Jim Harrington
Sat Feb 14 2015, 09:48AM
Registered Member #607
There is no MYWA rule. Speaking with a couple of guys on the Board, the challenge is that there will be a large number of kids to weigh-in prior to the tournament. Ordinarily, day of weigh-ins are for no more than 16 kids in a weight class who qualified at Sectionals. For Middle School in particular, they were looking at long weigh-ins and then associated bracket changes that could make getting the tournament finished in one day a challenge. Definitely not ideal, but agree or not, there appears to have been a rational purpose behind the single early weigh-in. Given that there are limited options for venues to be able to handle the events, I think they did a pretty good job salvaging it.
FRSouthEnd
Mon Feb 16 2015, 01:22PM
Registered Member #10354
Grey Dog,

I'm not going to get into a long protracted argument about what kids/parents do and don't do, but I'll simply say, you're wrong on most of your points, as usual.

GrayDawg wrote ...

950esc wrote ...

weigh-ins are tonight, 9 days before the tourney. This way brackets can be created, adjusted and ready to go right when kids walk in the morning of the tourney. A superior wrestler will beat an inferior wrestler regardless of whether he is 5 pounds lighter, 5 pounds heavier or the exact same weight. 3/4's of these kids are 5th, 6th and 7th graders....... you can't tell me these kids are sucking any type of significant weight prior to weigh-ins then putting on 7 pounds in 9 days. Most of them have super fast metabolisms and putting on weight for a 6th grader isn't as easy as putting on weight as an 11th grader.

Coach the kids up, send them out there and let them learn and have fun. This is a pretty damn good alternative given the weather coming in. Everyone needs to relax and just go with the flow with this one.

FRSouthEnd
Mon Feb 16 2015, 01:32PM
Registered Member #10354
While I do agree it makes it very difficult to weigh-in such a large number of kids the morning of weigh-ins, the current setup will allow kids to cut weight without having to maintain that weight for 2 weeks.

Unfortunately if weigh-ins CANNOT be done the day of or the night before then what options do you have?

Do kids cut as much as 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 lbs... YES. I'm not speculating that they do, I know they do. Are they for this particular tournament? I don't know.

Keith Fallon
GrayDawg
Mon Feb 16 2015, 03:35PM
Registered Member #4288
NEYWA wrote ...

Do kids cut as much as 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 lbs... YES. I'm not speculating that they do, I know they do. Are they for this particular tournament? I don't know.

Keith Fallon

Keith, for you to know this, there is a very good chance that they are either kids you coach or kids who wrestle with your kids or both. I mean - what parent would admit to allowing their child to cut weight to an opposing coach or the parent of their son's opponent? Maybe the same kind of parent who would allow it in the first place?

In any event, shame on the parents for allowing their 13 and under kids to cut weight. All for what? A ribbon? A trophy? At the youth level ? Time to get real- people....... winning is nice and all- but at the youth level, we better be teaching good sportsmanship, fostering a love for the sport and doing everything we can to retain these kids as wrestlers at the high school level. A 12 year old kid cutting weight is a sick thing imho and if it's happening- every adult who knows for sure about it (not suspecting, but KNOWS) better walk into the bathroom and have a "come to Jesus" talk with the guy looking back at them in the mirror.

But you know this already, because you know everything apparently.
Riter
Mon Feb 16 2015, 05:00PM
Registered Member #5813
Like it or not, agree or disagree with the ethics of it... It happens. Unfortunately by having weigh-ins two weeks prior with no requirements to maintain a certain range it gives some a huge advantage. It's useless to argue over the morality if it. It's an old argument.
FRSouthEnd
Mon Feb 16 2015, 06:27PM
Registered Member #10354
GrayDawg wrote ...

Keith, for you to know this, there is a very good chance that they are either kids you coach or kids who wrestle with your kids or both. I mean - what parent would admit to allowing their child to cut weight to an opposing coach or the parent of their son's opponent? Maybe the same kind of parent who would allow it in the first place?

Your naïveté is astounding. Have you ever been to a tournament and seen kids running in plastics at the hotel? Have you ever been to a club and seen kids in hot wrestling rooms the days before a competition layered up like its 10 below zero? Have you ever had a coach ask you how your scales are because a few kids have struggled making weight? Have you ever been to a major youth tournament and said "that's the biggest damn 90 pound kid I've ever seen!"?

If not then you haven't had the same experiences most of the gentlemen on this youth forum have had.

We don't need a parent to tell us a kid is cutting 7-8-9 lbs. we know by looking at them. When a kid has uncontrollable bowel movements on the mat while he's wrestling, that's likely from laxatives.

I'm not upset that the Massachusetts Youth Wrestling board isn't holding a second weigh-in. I just like others are simply pointing out the obvious.

As a matter of fact I am grateful for all the hard work they're putting in. It's not easy conducting a tournament of this size. Thanks to everyone who works so hard.
lefty
Mon Feb 16 2015, 06:41PM
Registered Member #6420
Can not understand why the board would do such a dumb thing as to weigh in two weeks before event that makes no sense no matter which way you flip it. Kinda like a few years ago when board member said that kids that wrestled in 70 lbs weight class would not be able to compete in highschool.(kids were called outliers ) The board needs to remember kids will do what parents tell them or teach them there are kids definetly cutting weight and everybody knows it if you deny you are a fool. I have no kid in youth but can not even believe this is a thought. Icoached youth and was part of youth weigh ins in the past and have seen countless kids cutting! So for someone to make weight two weeks prior and not get check again is crazy. By the way I have not posted on this site for couple years seems like same group has been doing what they want and have no regard for the sport or national rules or weights.(never understood why USA weights are not used seems like that would be easiest way.) Will be coaching again next year and will have every kid USA certified and only attend USA events for this reason. I think USA wrestling should be mandated in ma. to move the sport in ma. in the right direction not that mywa has not made leaps but its time to go further and follow national rules.
lefty
Mon Feb 16 2015, 06:46PM
Registered Member #6420
Oh yeah and it supports USA wrestling
Carlascooz
Mon Feb 16 2015, 07:07PM
Registered Member #11519
NEYWA wrote ...

Have you ever been to a tournament and seen kids running in plastics at the hotel? Have you ever been to a club and seen kids in hot wrestling rooms the days before a competition layered up like its 10 below zero? Have you ever had a coach ask you how your scales are because a few kids have struggled making weight? Have you ever been to a major youth tournament and said "that's the biggest damn 90 pound kid I've ever seen!"?

If not then you haven't had the same experiences most of the gentlemen on this youth forum have had.

We don't need a parent to tell us a kid is cutting 7-8-9 lbs. we know by looking at them. When a kid has uncontrollable bowel movements on the mat while he's wrestling, that's likely from diuretics.

I think it's a pretty big leap to see the things described above and assume kids are cutting as much as 10 pounds. I've had kids show up for sectionals 1/2 pound over, their only option was to run it off or bump up, so they ran for 20 minutes. That doesn't mean they were cutting weight.
s.shore
Mon Feb 16 2015, 08:10PM
Registered Member #14212
GrayDawg wrote ...

NEYWA wrote ...

Keith Fallon

In any event, shame on the parents for allowing their 13 and under kids to cut weight. All for what? A ribbon? A trophy? At the youth level ? Time to get real- people....... winning is nice and all- but at the youth level, we better be teaching good sportsmanship, fostering a love for the sport and doing everything we can to retain these kids as wrestlers at the high school level. A 12 year old kid cutting weight is a sick thing imho and if it's happening- every adult who knows for sure about it (not suspecting, but KNOWS) better walk into the bathroom and have a "come to Jesus" talk with the guy looking back at them in the mirror.

GrayDawg

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Any parent who advocates, and I say advocates because no kid at this age range cares to cut weight in such a dramatic fashion, is IRRESPONSIBLE. Really? you people feel comfortable with screwing with your kids growth, state of mind at this early age? STOP stroking your own ego.

No wonder they're giving up wrestling. Get a clue MOM and DAD if you're doing this. It's only a matter of time before that kid or YOU end up in the news.

If you want your kids to keep their interest in wrestling: LET THEM HAVE FUN.

Just to give you perspective, we have a 92lbr that is kicking but at 106. He is outweighed by 14-16 lbs at times and still manages to win. He just won't gain weight. But, he's happy as a pig in s...t eating and being a kid. You know why he kicks but? Because the kids that cut don't have the energy to go the distance.

How do we fix the problem? EASY...ADD WEIGHT CLASSES! Some people are against it because they are afraid they'll have to forfeit or refuse to put in a JV kid in. We have another in that same scenario, how is he doing? he's a STUD, why? got his but kicked over and over by bigger Varsity kids as a freshman. One thing the parents did was have him practice.

So if you're a parent getting off reading your kids name.....good luck if he sticks with the program. Just don't be disappointed when he runs out of gas or meets the 92lbr that has been practicing.

The best thing that could happen is a surprise weight in and your kid gets kicked out for being overweight to take advantage of the system.
GrayDawg
Mon Feb 16 2015, 08:18PM
Registered Member #4288
Carlascooz wrote ...

NEYWA wrote ...

Have you ever been to a tournament and seen kids running in plastics at the hotel? Have you ever been to a club and seen kids in hot wrestling rooms the days before a competition layered up like its 10 below zero? Have you ever had a coach ask you how your scales are because a few kids have struggled making weight? Have you ever been to a major youth tournament and said "that's the biggest damn 90 pound kid I've ever seen!"?

We don't need a parent to tell us a kid is cutting 7-8-9 lbs. we know by looking at them. When a kid has uncontrollable bowel movements on the mat while he's wrestling, that's likely from diuretics.

I think it's a pretty big leap to see the things described above and assume kids are cutting as much as 10 pounds. I've had kids show up for sectionals 1/2 pound over, their only option was to run it off or bump up, so they ran for 20 minutes. That doesn't mean they were cutting weight.

Thank you..... a sane response.

Keith, I have been involved with youth wrestling for the last 10 years and been a member of this forum since 2006....... which was 4 years before you showed up. I have been to tournaments in state and out of state- I am just not a lunatic about it. Some would refer to it as having proper perspective of the larger picture.

Just bring your kids to States and tell them to have fun.
jlaff3
Mon Feb 16 2015, 08:43PM
Registered Member #11900
I am so sick of hearing there kids it doesn't matter yeah ok then id love to see you bust your ass in a room blood sweat and tears and then be told it doesn't matter!!!!!!!!!

Point is in no state or in no tournament would they allow there weigh in to be a week out never mind 2 people need to wake up!!!!

I hope MYWA fixes the problem and not just with Middle School weigh in the Novice as well these kids deserve a fair state tournament

John

lefty
Mon Feb 16 2015, 08:44PM
Registered Member #6420
Not that I agree with Keith I don't even know him just asking this question. Why not agree to weigh every 5th kid to keep people honest the morning of? This would at least be fair to the kids not cutting any weight. You don't make weight you down wrestle lose your money and can not bump to next weight that would keep people honest and not take from profits!
jlaff3
Mon Feb 16 2015, 08:59PM
Registered Member #11900
Jim Harrington wrote ...

There is no MYWA rule. Speaking with a couple of guys on the Board, the challenge is that there will be a large number of kids to weigh-in prior to the tournament. Ordinarily, day of weigh-ins are for no more than 16 kids in a weight class who qualified at Sectionals. For Middle School in particular, they were looking at long weigh-ins and then associated bracket changes that could make getting the tournament finished in one day a challenge. Definitely not ideal, but agree or not, there appears to have been a rational purpose behind the single early weigh-in. Given that there are limited options for venues to be able to handle the events, I think they did a pretty good job salvaging it.

Jim I think you guys do a pretty good job with it for the Big Red maybe you can give them some advise!

What about MA New England's they seem to get it done

Marshwoods ME New England's they do as well

Sorry poor excuse
CTparent
Tue Feb 17 2015, 09:49AM
Registered Member #11982
FYI, NH is giving a 2 pound allowance. See below.

2014-2015 Middle School State Championship (7th and 8th Grade)

Londonderry High School

Sunday, February 22

ENTRY FEE/Registration

Due to the February 14/15 blizzard, the Divisional Middle School Tournaments were cancelled. All wrestlers registered for the Divisional Tournaments will wrestle in this year’s MOC. Bracket size will be based on the number of eligible wrestlers at their declared weight class. Coaches may make changes to the declared weight up to 10 PM on Friday night, February 20.

Doors open at 7:00 AM. The entire team must check-in with their coach. The coach should inform the LWA representative of any scratches. A single payment of $15.00 per wrestler should be made out to Londonderry Wrestling Association. The team roster will be provided to the coaches to be taken to the weigh-in.

WEIGH-INS (7:00 am - 8:00 am)

Weigh-ins will be conducted as teams. Wrestlers must qualify for their declared weight class. Wrestlers will be given a 2 lbs allowance (Note, for the New England Tournament, wrestlers must make scratch weight). Wrestlers that do not make weight will forfeit their matches—there will be no re-bracketting.

Middle School Weight Classes: 74, 81, 88, 94, 100, 106, 112, 118, 124, 130, 136, 143, 154, 169, 188, 215, 260.

SCHEDULE

Coaches Meeting at 8:30am. Wrestling starts at 9:00 am.

FORMAT

Bracket size will vary depending on the number of entrants, double elimination wrestle-back with 6 finishers. Team scoring for the highest 10 placing wrestlers from each team as follows: 1st (14pts), 2nd (10pts), 3rd (7pts), 4th (4pts), 5th (2pts), 6th (1pts).

AWARDS

Medals for top 6. Awards for the top two teams in each Division (Middle School and Club). Top 4 placers qualify for the New England Tournament.
CoachDarl
Tue Feb 17 2015, 12:59PM
Registered Member #5363
I appreciate the spirited debate taking place on this forum. Please understand that all options were on the table as it relates to having to change on the fly with regards to weather and how it affected the post season MYWA series. Cancelling the Sectionals was not a choice taken lightly by the Board, but was the best option given safety for all and being as inclusive as possible for all.
Weigh ins have taken place as planned. There were some no shows and those individuals will receive refunds which will take time to process. We have received requests to add people and registration is now open for them. They will have to weigh in the morning of their tournament and be dropping into the tourney as unseeded. We have also secured two locations (with snow dates if necessary) on dates which are different so that parents and coaches can attend both events rather than going on the same day which presents a conflict. We have even agreed to compensate one of the Sectional hosts for tee shirts they purchased in order to make their program whole.
Regarding the USA issue brought up. I am a USA wrestling coach and my three kids are all active members....however, the weights MYWA has implemented is based upon RAW WEIGH IN DATA for the past five seasons of every wrestler who weighed in for a MYWA tournament. This is far superior on a competitive basis than the 5lb USA option of weights. In addition, if you implement the mandate all must carry a $35 USA card in Mass, you will have a revolt.

OK.....weigh ins. While I agree with some of the issues brought up here re cutting, the minority should not hold hostage the majority. What I mean is, some kids cut but the majority in Mass are not cutting more than a few pounds. In the National tournaments, this is NOT the case: they are cutting a lot to get a competitive advantage. Not so much in Mass. Of the 700 kids competing at both States flights, I would estimate the number cutting more than 5% of body weight to be less than 5%. We have 23 kids on our team and not one cut more than 1-2lbs.
As for some of the arguments here:
1) We didn't give any weight, all the kids had to make weight. NH is giving 2lbs at their INITIAL weigh in. We didn't give anything
2) Marshwoods: are you kidding? Standing in line outside the night before for 2 hours is a lousy example. After all, this tournament is held in April when the weather is much more benign
3) Big Red et al, holds their weigh ins at various locations 2-3 nights before the event which takes place on a single day. If we conducted similar weigh ins again it would require two separate dates per Grades 5-6 this week and then Grades 7-8 next week. Doing a weigh in for Grades 5/6 during the middle of February break: a logistical nightmare for those away.
4) Weigh ins the morning of also would be crazy as well. This Sunday there is snow forecasted for Lawrence. Weighing in would create huge delays as we would have to hold weigh ins open longer due to weather and then re bracket those not making weight or no shows, reseed, etc. How late do you want the day to go? Doing this for Grades 7-8 is even crazier on the day of as we would have to logistically account for over 400 wrestlers. This is MORE than the number weighed in the morning of normal States for both flights of Grades 5/6 & 7/8. In addition, with the two flights separated, the window to weigh in was roughly 5 hours. We would only have about an hour to 90 minutes at most to weigh and then process everyone doing Grades 7/8 States this year. If we have added delays (weather, rebracketing, drops/adds), what time would you like this tournament to start, nevermind end??? With an average of 25 kids per weight class, getting the tournament going and completed in a reasonable time is the priority.

I am on the Board of MYWA and I am just one of 9 votes. Last night we spent over two hours meeting on these topics and doing the seeding for the upcoming events. Everything was on the table and yet we unanimously decided to follow the route provided last week in order to offer the best wrestling experience for all wrestlers and their families.
Go to page: Go to page  [1] 2          << Previous thread | Next thread >>

Jump:     Back to top

Moderators: Mike Atlas, CoachMiller, The Rankings Team, JMode, Shvarts, eoghanjames, Jim Maher, plm_77, jubele135, Hill Billy, psch, tourneygeek, NE_07, Sam Shames, Chicken Wing Coach, New England Rankings, matchamp99, Nuge
Click to see our RSS feeds available -->
Recent Wrestling Boxscores
see all | submit | rss

02/09/2017----------
Barnstable-40
Plymouth North-15
02/08/2017----------
Weymouth-17
Walpole-52
02/08/2017----------
North Attleboro-51
Oliver Ames-12
Newest Posts
Olympian Steve Mocco joins Brown University RTC
Olympian Steve Mocco named head coach of New ...
Posted by Chicken Wing Coach
May 24 17 : 18:15

Columbus Day Duals in York, PA October 7-8, 2017
LARGEST Pre-Season Dual Meet Tournament in th...
Posted by TyrantWrestling
May 24 17 : 10:27

Re: Strength Training for almost 13 year old new to wrestling
ruthstoops wrote ...His off season club is ex...
Posted by FiveTenthsNelson
May 24 17 : 08:14

MetroWest United WC - Summer Training
Registration for the MWU's 6-week summer sess...
Posted by JMode
May 23 17 : 22:09

Re: Ashland Open Dates
Monty Tech might be potentially interested. I...
Posted by MrBlastdoubles
May 23 17 : 14:45

Ashland Open Dates
Looking to fill a Friday Night Dual on 1/12. ...
Posted by pzacchilli
May 23 17 : 13:50

Re: Strength Training for almost 13 year old new to wrestling
ruthstoops wrote ...Son is new to wrestling a...
Posted by MrBlastdoubles
May 23 17 : 13:31

Support MassWrestling. Click a link!