[ ]
Guests: 6, Members: 0 ...

most ever online: 859
Members: 10010
Newest: G. Krupp
Support MassWrestling. Click a link!

Forums
MassWrestling.com :: Forums :: Youth Wrestling

Why are towns in Norfolk county in west sectionals? 
Lineman
Thu Feb 05 2015, 09:19AM
Registered Member #11775
Instead of people from the Franklin area driving 30 minutes to sectionals in Hanover like its been the last few years we are being put in West and have to drive 2 hrs to Pittsfield?. Please put us back in South were we belong, I mean look at the map it makes no sense why we were moved to west. Not only that you have Plaiville which is part of the kp school sytem with Wrentham in the South, but Wrentham in the West. So kids on the same team will be at 2 sectionals? We will run into problems having coaches at both locations.
Fran Weir
Thu Feb 05 2015, 09:57AM
Registered Member #6215
You might be confusing Franklin Tech with Franklin, MA. Franklin Tech is in Turners Falls in Franklin County. The Tech school in Franklin, MA is Tri County.
Jim Maher
Thu Feb 05 2015, 10:08AM

2015 MYWA Sectional Wrestling Team Assignments!
North Sectionals: (Est. 316) Billerica Youth Wrestling Burlington Youth Wrestling Cape Ann Youth Wrestling Chelmsford Youth Wrestling Danvers Youth Wrestling Dracut Youth Wrestling Haverhill Youth Wrestling Lowell Boys and Girls Club Lynnfield/North Reading Malden Youth Wrestling Masco Youth Wrestling Melrose Youth Wrestling Methuen Youth Wrestling North Andover Youth Wrestling Reading Recreation Youth Wrestling River Rival Wrestling Tewksbury PAL Wrestling Tyngsborough Youth Wrestling Wakefield Youth Wrestling Warrior Wrestling/Andover Wilmington Youth Wrestling Winchester Youth Wrestling Woburn

Youth Wrestling South Sectionals: (Est. 228) Boston Youth Wrestling Catholic Memorial Champions Building Champions "CBC" Cohasset Middle School Dedham Team Bulldog Dighton-Rehoboth Youth Wrestling Dungeon Duxbury Youth Wrestling Easton Hanover Youth Athletic Association
Hingham Youth Wrestling Kryptonite Wrestling Klub Mad Dog Wrestling Club Mansfield Youth Wrestling Marconi Station Wrestling Club Marshfield Milton Youth Wrestling Parkway Youth Wrestling Pembroke Youth Wrestling Plymouth Youth Wrestling Scituate Middle School Wrestling Somerset Youth Wrestling Club Walpole

Youth Wrestling West Sectionals: (Est. 195) Agawam Youth Wrestling Algonquin Youth Wrestling Badger Youth Wrestling Club Berkshire Youth Wrestling Boys & Girls Club of Greater Westfield Fitchburg Youth Wrestling Framingham Youth Wrestling Holliston Youth Wrestling Leominster Youth Wrestling Club Ludlow Milford Youth Wrestling Natick Youth Wrestling Quabbin Springfield Youth Wrestling Stateline Wrestling Club Sudbury Youth Wrestling Wachusett Youth Wrestling Wayland Youth Wrestling Westford Youth Wrestling Littleton Youth Wrestling Ashland Youth Wrestling New England Gold
Lineman
Thu Feb 05 2015, 10:20AM
Registered Member #11775
Fran Weir wrote ...

You might be confusing Franklin Tech with Franklin, MA. Franklin Tech is in Turners Falls in Franklin County. The Tech school in Franklin, MA is Tri County.

No Franklin, Wrentham, Norfolk ect allot of towns actually got bumped to the West so instead of a 30 minute ride we are talking like a 2+ hr ride now. Nice
CoachDarl
Thu Feb 05 2015, 01:21PM
Registered Member #5363
Lineman,
Below please find a letter to the MYWA membership as to why the West was granted a Sectional this year. I hope it addresses some of your ire.

Dear MYWA Membership,
As a Board, our main charge is to promote and make better the youth wrestling experience throughout the State of Massachusetts. There has been major discussion regarding the Sectional site choices made by the Board and there probably will be right up until the event.
This year the Board was given four clear choices as to where to hold three Sectional tournaments. Why only three tournaments? Last year there were 795 Grades 5-8 Sectional participants: 250 in Hanover and Wayland and roughly 300 at Chelmsford. There are 30 weight classes (13 and 17). The ideal is having 8-10 in each weight class thus 250-300 is an optimal number to have for each Sectional. If you have 4 Sectionals, you water down what the Sectional purpose is: to qualify the best kids for the State Tournament.
This year, Berkshire Youth put in a bid to host a Sectional in Pittsfield.
Their arguments were compelling. Primarily, they believe more of the West wrestlers will attend AND they have been coming East for a number of years competing at Wayland. I, personally, hope they are right with their first argument, but it was the latter argument which stuck with me. In Division 1 and 3 high school wrestling, the West teams travel three consecutive years to North, South or Metro parts of Mass in order to compete. In one of four years, the other teams travel West. The West high school teams are driving 3x as much as anyone else already. At the youth level, they haven’t even been afforded the 1 out of 4 years!
There were other logistical issues associated with our overall discussion. North Andover is hosting the North Section. They have typically run the Wayland Sectional in the past (their team has gone to Wayland not the North Sectional), so finding someone from MYWA to run Wayland would have been a problem. To make the West trip less onerous, we also are setting up numerous satellite weigh ins and starting the West Sectional later in the morning so people can weigh in early and then drive making a long day trip as opposed to having to stay overnight with added expense. As a Board, we are trying to make this as amenable as possible to all concerned.
For full disclosure, I voted to grant the Sectional to Berkshire. The vote was not unanimous. I voted because I believe Derek and Berkshire Youth can run an effective event and they deserve a chance to prove it. If it doesn’t work: lesson learned.
I hope they have 350 kids and all the clubs assigned to go there fire up and make the trip and have a great experience. For some this might not be a welcome trip, but after all it is fair and more importantly, it is INCLUSIVE.
Respectfully submitted,
Todd Darling
Masco Youth Wrestling
cradlefan
Thu Feb 05 2015, 01:48PM
Registered Member #13629
I have a HS Senior in the West Section. For at least the last 3 years (including this year), we have traveled/will travel East for every State, All-State and New England tournament. Typically these trips are 1.5+ hours one way. I don't mind and I'm not complaining. However, it is good to see all areas of the Commonwealth are considered and travel time is shared by all.
Lineman
Thu Feb 05 2015, 03:34PM
Registered Member #11775
I understand having one out West but the way the map was divided this year I do not. It seems if Worcester County was split down the middle as it has in the past it would be more appropriate. I understand allot of traveling is part of the process in youth wrestling. My point is if you have a sectional 30 minutes away why would you send these towns two and a half hours away? Either way we will be there. Thanks for the replys.

Here is the map btw for anyone who has not seen it [link]
CoachDarl
Fri Feb 06 2015, 10:24AM
Registered Member #5363
Lineman,
As a Board, we tried to be as scientific as possible. We looked at past Town participation number wise and proceeded Easterly until we felt as though there were enough participants based upon past participation. Our hope is that the West Section has 200 participants.
Personnally, my original thought was to just send all prior Wayland Sectional participants to the West (ex. North Andover, they are hosting a Sectional this year), but the Board wanted to equitably look at geography and assign as best as possible methodically moving East until numbers were validated.
As you can tell, we were a Board divided in process but united in purpose.
Please sign up as soon as possible and we hope to see all in Danvers on the 1st of March.
GrayDawg
Fri Feb 06 2015, 04:50PM
Registered Member #4288
Jim Maher wrote ...

2015 MYWA Sectional Wrestling Team Assignments!
North Sectionals: (Est. 316) Billerica Youth Wrestling Burlington Youth Wrestling Cape Ann Youth Wrestling Chelmsford Youth Wrestling Danvers Youth Wrestling Dracut Youth Wrestling Haverhill Youth Wrestling Lowell Boys and Girls Club Lynnfield/North Reading Malden Youth Wrestling Masco Youth Wrestling Melrose Youth Wrestling Methuen Youth Wrestling North Andover Youth Wrestling Reading Recreation Youth Wrestling River Rival Wrestling Tewksbury PAL Wrestling Tyngsborough Youth Wrestling Wakefield Youth Wrestling Warrior Wrestling/Andover Wilmington Youth Wrestling Winchester Youth Wrestling Woburn

I assume the 5th-8th graders from Marblehead/Swampscott should register for the North Sectional? Please let me know a.s.a.p. If this is not the case.

Thanks

plm_77
Fri Feb 06 2015, 07:27PM

Lineman wrote ...

Instead of people from the Franklin area driving 30 minutes to sectionals in Hanover like its been the last few years we are being put in West and have to drive 2 hrs to Pittsfield?. Please put us back in South were we belong, I mean look at the map it makes no sense why we were moved to west. Not only that you have Plaiville which is part of the kp school sytem with Wrentham in the South, but Wrentham in the West. So kids on the same team will be at 2 sectionals? We will run into problems having coaches at both locations.

How fast are you driving?

link
Lineman
Sun Feb 08 2015, 04:25PM
Registered Member #11775
At a decent clip plm_77, and that way you posted stinks
[link]

Go to page:          << Previous thread | Next thread >>

Jump:     Back to top

Moderators: Mike Atlas, CoachMiller, The Rankings Team, JMode, Shvarts, eoghanjames, Jim Maher, plm_77, jubele135, Hill Billy, psch, tourneygeek, NE_07, Sam Shames, Chicken Wing Coach, New England Rankings, matchamp99, Nuge
Click to see our RSS feeds available -->
Recent Wrestling Boxscores
see all | submit | rss

02/09/2017----------
Barnstable-40
Plymouth North-15
02/08/2017----------
Weymouth-17
Walpole-52
02/08/2017----------
North Attleboro-51
Oliver Ames-12
Newest Posts
Re: 2017 USA Wrestling Events
*Individual Folkstyle Tournament.*Sunday, Sep...
Posted by Chicken Wing Coach
Aug 15 17 : 16:16

Re: USA MASS Wrestling Tournament Schedule for 2017 / Next is Sun. Sept. 17th, 2017
Bump: Next event is on Sunday, September 17th...
Posted by Chicken Wing Coach
Aug 15 17 : 15:49

Re: 12 Weeks, 4 Nights, Fall Session starts 8/28
Pre-registration 8/22 5:30-7pm. Save $ on our...
Posted by Coach C
Aug 15 17 : 10:21

Re: Intro to wrestling program, K-4 Starts 9/16
Open House Sept. 6th 6:30-8PM. People looking...
Posted by Coach C
Aug 15 17 : 10:13

Re: Castleton Wrestling Second Annual Fall Clinic and Takedown Tournament
We have updated our Second Annual Fall Clinic...
Posted by CSUCOACH
Aug 12 17 : 11:08

Re: Castleton Wrestling Second Annual Fall Clinic and Takedown Tournament
Link to register online:https://events.castle...
Posted by CSUCOACH
Aug 12 17 : 10:46

Support MassWrestling. Click a link!