Newest: cleanerpaperz
Support MassWrestling. Click a link!

Forums
MassWrestling.com :: Forums :: Urgent Announcements

Weight Classes  Go to page  1 [2]
GeorgeTheAnimal
Thu Jan 22 2015, 11:35AM
Registered Member #2426
First, I think the idea of allowing "Fighting Shorts" is a great place to start, it would benefit wrestlers that don't like the singlets, and also add a new visual element for the fans.

Secondly the bigger issue is building and maintaining the JV programs, these kids need more structured opportunities, many kids can languish a couple of years in JV, working hard every day, with little chance for meaningful matches or rewards. I don't see how adding a varsity weight class would help JV at all.
CoachB
Thu Jan 22 2015, 12:45PM
Registered Member #303
"Fighting shorts" and rashguards sound like a great idea until the heavyweights muffin top is exposed for five minutes or we have other types of wardrobe malfunctions.

Some colleges were using the two piece combo a few years back. Has this experiment ended?

BCHWrestling
Thu Jan 22 2015, 01:22PM
Registered Member #11329
I do not know whether some colleges are stilling using this uniform, however it is the uniform used by Flowrestling in their events such as the Flo Premier League and Who's #1. Here are the links to those events:

[link]

[link]
FlipU4Real
Thu Jan 22 2015, 02:26PM
Registered Member #571
[quote]
I do not know whether some colleges are stilling using this uniform, however it is the uniform used by Flowrestling in their events such as the Flo Premier League and Who's #1. Here are the links to those events:

[link]

[link]
[/quote1421958268]

These are pretty different than what was tried in college a few years back. The 2-piece uniform for NCAA was essentially lycra/spandex shorts and t-shirt, both skin-tight and similar/same material as a singlet.
CoachB
Thu Jan 22 2015, 02:34PM
Registered Member #303
[quote]

[link]

[link]
[/quote1421958690]
So by "fighting shorts," we mean "board shorts" designed originally for surfing? And not the tight lycra shorts that are worn by quite a few (most?) UFC fighters and were worn by NCAA a while back?
Rams95
Thu Jan 22 2015, 03:46PM
Registered Member #9537
Yes by fighting shorts I mean similar to board shorts.

Marshfield has an enrollment of ~1300, slightly less than half are boys. We usually field a solid team. We have not had a full lineup in 4 years. The changes I hear discussed would not change that.
950esc
Thu Jan 22 2015, 04:00PM
Registered Member #10185
board shorts r 2 baggy get fingers and shoes caught, singlets r tight fit 2 avoid that
CoachB
Thu Jan 22 2015, 04:17PM
Registered Member #303
Yes, the singlet may not be the most attractive uniform, but it is amongst the most functional. Fingers and shoes do not get caught in it, it doesn't fall off. No muffin tops revealed, etc.

Meanwhile, when I was still coaching , why did I have sprinters from the track team come to me and ask if they could wear singlets at meets? That's what they do in the Olympics. I'm not sure the singlet is that great of a factor in dissuading kids from the sport.
Makendor10
Thu Jan 22 2015, 04:18PM
Registered Member #13711
I think the best thing to do is to take a statistical analysis of every teams lineup in the state to see which weight classes are being forfeited the most, and then perhaps work from there (consider cutting a weight class, or spreading two further apart, etc)
GrayDawg
Thu Jan 22 2015, 04:25PM
Registered Member #4288
Makendor10 wrote ...

I think the best thing to do is to take a statistical analysis of every teams lineup in the state to see which weight classes are being forfeited the most, and then perhaps work from there (consider cutting a weight class, or spreading two further apart, etc)

My $$ is on 106 & Hvy........... not that I would agree for a second that either weight class should go away.
nawrestler
Thu Jan 22 2015, 06:10PM
Registered Member #4570
Last year we had JV wrestlers get over 40 matches. Teams that commit to this idea have consistently strong teams. Most coaches treat JV as an after thought. They show up with a blank piece of paper and write their JV kids down. Kids get forgotten and left out. This first must change. Treat JV wrestlers like a big deal and teams will grow. Guarantee kids they will get to compete and they will come out. It doesn't matter how many weight classes there are. Less weight classes is not the answer to growing the sport. Make a commitment to getting the freshmen matches and they will come out and they will stay. If anything we should be talking about adding weight classes to get more kids an opportunity to wrestle.
Catfish
Thu Jan 22 2015, 06:33PM
Registered Member #11436
My 2 cents - improve interest - full court press on skin issues - with all due respect coaches need to police

In terms of improving spectator experience stalling must be aggressively enforced -
waf475
Thu Jan 22 2015, 07:22PM
Registered Member #11119
The singlet is designed correctly for wrestling at the hs varsity and college level . With regards to jv/youth wrestling, loose shorts can cause injury to both wrestlers. A modified uniform for these levels levels might consist of compression shirts and shorts. They not only look sharp but are also safe
pb
Thu Jan 22 2015, 08:21PM
Registered Member #9726
I would bring 106 to maybe 114 and start from there. The vast majority of 106 and 113 lbs.ers are freshman and sophomores. Most juniors and seniors that are at those weight are cutting hard. Not all but most. the young ones that are good enough wil be fine at 114. Many teams best wrestlers are between 126-160. Find a new weight in that range.
nb135
Thu Jan 22 2015, 08:52PM
Registered Member #6515
pb wrote ...

I would bring 106 to maybe 114 and start from there. The vast majority of 106 and 113 lbs.ers are freshman and sophomores. Most juniors and seniors that are at those weight are cutting hard. Not all but most. the young ones that are good enough wil be fine at 114. Many teams best wrestlers are between 126-160. Find a new weight in that range.

noway, i agree that not a ton of seniors are at 106 but what does class have to do with talent, jacob camacho from danbury upset morris earlly this year as a freshman and he weighs 100 pounds, and hes not the only underclassman that does damage at the 106 weight class vs top wrestlers, it would not be fair for him to give up 15 pounds, i actually think they should consider a 99 pound weight class, many freshman 106 pounders start out undersized.
standinggranby
Fri Jan 23 2015, 07:51AM
Registered Member #572
FYI Jacob Camacho did not upset Morris, Morris got the worst screwing by a REF that I have ever witnessed, Jacob is a very talented and tough kid will won many matches,but that match was decided by an assistant ref who is not even allowed to make that call, 30 seconds after the period ended.
standinggranby
Fri Jan 23 2015, 08:00AM
Registered Member #572
and was not even a close call, it didn't even resemble a reversal,.
nastyhalf
Fri Jan 23 2015, 01:33PM
Registered Member #138
Aggressive stalling calls would absolutely make the sport more fan friendly. Kids (and most adults) would be more drawn to a sport with more action and scoring. The NFL & NBA have recognized this while NHL and MLS have not. We all know how the attendance correlates.
s.shore
Fri Jan 30 2015, 12:03PM
Registered Member #14212
nb135 wrote ...

pb wrote ...

noway, i agree that not a ton of seniors are at 106 but what does class have to do with talent, jacob camacho from danbury upset morris earlly this year as a freshman and he weighs 100 pounds, and hes not the only underclassman that does damage at the 106 weight class vs top wrestlers, it would not be fair for him to give up 15 pounds, i actually think they should consider a 99 pound weight class, many freshman 106 pounders start out undersized.

This is a perfect argument for ADDING weight classes, on both ends of the spectrum. For example, we have a 92lb'r who is obviously giving up 14+ lbs (taking in account the weight allowance). On the heavy weight end, we only wish for a 14lb diffrence.....

So, calling it an error in the part of the referee is not giving this undersized wrestler the credit he deserves. Imagine how much stalling on the part of the larger wrestler is not getting called! What a shock when the larger or ranked wrestler loses or is tied when he is called for stalling in trying to hold on to that one point lead? I can guarantee you that wrestler will work harder for that move in order not to lose next time.

Unless the Massachusetts wrestling rules are that much different than the NFHS wrestling rules, I see a huge problem when stalling is being ignored and almost an afterthought in 95% of the matches.

A nice paper written by Fred Feeney explains fairly clearly how stalling is used, when it comes in to play etc. Here's the link: [link]

Also, a link to the NFHS wresling rule book for 2014-2015: [link]

On the NFHS go to section 24, it maches up pretty well with Feeney's paper. The NFHS has very specific pictures illustrating TD's which I think are not being called correctly either.

Bottom line is, the rules are there to make the sport fun and competitive. If you do your job, it doesn't matter that it went against me. My wrestler deserves getting called if he lays there, no action or locks legs when bottom wrestler is making a move to prevent (if bottom wrestler is making progress) bottom wrestler from scoring and hold on for dear life. Some would say this is a stalemate. The question is, how many stalemates become a stall? Kid can do this all day long, if you don't call it, he wins.

The quality of wrestlers in Mass will improve when they are forced to improve their skills in order to avoid being called for stalling.

Finally, if I'm way off, let me know how I'm off. For instance, I'm not certain the NFHS book is what Mass uses as a guideline (I'm having issues navigating the MIAA site.).
oldschoolBR
Fri Jan 30 2015, 01:36PM
Registered Member #10144
I know this feed is primarily about weight classes but just thought I'd chime in on the stalling reference. I see a lot of stalling whether its strategic, conditioning, or something else. Seems like some are getting away with inactivity for 90 seconds before they even get warned and half the time its in the third period where inevitably it will not add up to much. I think the Refs need to get on that a little earlier in the match to prevent it from being a win strategy. There is a fine line there. Waiting for your chance or setting something up is one thing but the period and a half of dancing with the stars has to go. Especially from a fan interest/excitement point of view. Also definitely do not think taking away weight classes is a direction that would benefit wrestling.
Go to page: Go to page  1 [2]          << Previous thread | Next thread >>

Jump:     Back to top

Moderators: Mike Atlas, CoachMiller, The Rankings Team, JMode, Shvarts, eoghanjames, Jim Maher, plm_77, jubele135, Hill Billy, psch, tourneygeek, NE_07, Sam Shames, Chicken Wing Coach, New England Rankings, matchamp99, Nuge
Click to see our RSS feeds available -->
Recent Wrestling Boxscores
see all | submit | rss

02/09/2017----------
Barnstable-40
Plymouth North-15
02/08/2017----------
Weymouth-17
Walpole-52
02/08/2017----------
North Attleboro-51
Oliver Ames-12
Newest Posts
Re: Baystate registered competitors
Wrestling Scholastic Name Gender Event City S...
Posted by Jim Maher
Jun 27 17 : 10:01

Re: Bay State Games Open Tournament-July 8th
Wrestling Open Name Gender Event Age School G...
Posted by Jim Maher
Jun 27 17 : 09:59

Re: Bay State Games Junior Tournament info
Wrestling Junior - Grade 7 & 8 Name Gende...
Posted by Jim Maher
Jun 26 17 : 10:17

Re: Baystate registered competitors
Wrestling Scholastic Name Gender Event City S...
Posted by Jim Maher
Jun 26 17 : 10:06

Re: BSG Scholastic Deadline July 1st
Bay State Games Wrestling Tournament to be he...
Posted by Jim Maher
Jun 26 17 : 09:15

Re: Bay State Games Open Tournament-July 8th
REMINDER, SAVE $10 BY REGISTERING BY JUL...
Posted by Jim Maher
Jun 26 17 : 09:14

Re: Bay State Games Junior Tournament info
REMINDER, REGISTER BY JULY 1ST TO SAVE ...
Posted by Jim Maher
Jun 26 17 : 09:13

Support MassWrestling. Click a link!