MassWrestling.com :: Forums :: New England Wrestling

2013-14 New England Tournament  Go to page  [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Mike Atlas
Mon Mar 03 2014, 09:01AM

Website
Info [link]

Final brackets: [link]

Team scores: [link]

Please note that this thread was originally a predictions thread, so early discussion does not reflect the outcome of the tournament.
j johnson
Mon Mar 03 2014, 06:37PM
Registered Member #2580
Here's my two worthless cents and analysis. Admittedly I don't follow nearly as close as I used to, so I'm probably over looking a lot of good wrestlers I'm unfamiliar with, but here it goes anyway.

Team race: Stating the obvious here but this is MAU's to lose. I think they have 7 guys that can scores lot of points for them. Obviously Webb is a returning champ, Gassaway seems to have taken it to another level it's year and put some distance between himself and the rest of a tough field at 120. Price may be the favorite at 182 as well. Mattison has a tough bracket with Ndi from Concord in the quarters and Tighe from Franklin in his half, but if he can beat Ndi like he did at Lowell he could give MAU 4 in the finals.

Looking at the draws, Raetz and Lafountain have a legitimate shot making the semis as well. If they get 6 to the semis I could see them putting close to 100 between them and the next team. Luciano was a match from placing last year but has last close matches to several New England kids this year, so I guess it just depends what kind of tournament he has.

The battle for 2nd could be pretty interesting. Springfield Central, Exeter West, Danbury and Timberlane could all be in the mix. It would takes perfect storm of everything going perfect for one of those teams and everything going wrong for MAU for one of these teams to win it, but they could all make it interesting none the less.

Timberlane "only" has 6 wrestlers, not a lot by their standards. I could see Fitzpatrick, Mclinden and Bohle having a shot to make the semis. Unfortunately for them, maybe their best wrestler Peters has Monseratt in his quarter bracket. Their 160 Also has Labrie in his quarter.

Central has 6 qualifiers. Ricky Viruet is on the opposite side of the bracket as Labrie, while Jonathan will meet Labrie in the semis. Anderson has a 1 point match with Webb, but also finished 5th at D1's, so I would say he has an equal shot at making the finals and not placing. Holden and Paris have tough draws, while Garcia could bea wildcard at 106.

Danbury could sneak in here and take a 2nd or 3rd with 4 Open champs in CT, all of whom look to have a decent shot to make the semis and lead by one of the best pound for pound wrestlers in the tournament in Kevin Jack.

Exeter West has a pair of returning champs who will have their work cut out for them to repeat, but very well could, as well as a returning placer at 220 who could place high. We've seen 3 high placing wrestler be enough to put a team in 2nd, so depending on what the other teams do they could be in the hunt for a team trophy.

North Andover could sneak in to this category too with Drover, Mellilo and Hoehn.

My pick, MAU by a lot, Danbury narrowly edges Centralfor 2nd with 3 finalists and 4 placers (I have Central with 4 placers as well).Exeter, North Andover, Timberlane 4,5,6.
j johnson
Mon Mar 03 2014, 07:13PM
Registered Member #2580
My only half educated individual picks:

106: I'm not familiar with many in the weight so this is one of the biggest shot in the dark weights for me, but I'll take Freitas, Danbury over Garcia, Central in one semis, Craig over Aquino in the other. Pulling a name out of the hat I'll take Craig.

113: Again not familiar with everyone here, but my upset pick is Raetz. He has opponents from Noble, Danbury and Bishop Hendereken in his quarter, all teams MAU sees during the year, plus he owns wins over Laplant and Thomas. He makes the semis vs Hamilton, could go either way but I say the run ends there. Delgallo vs Laplant in the other with Delgallo winning and giving Maine champs in the first 2 weights. Kelly vs Laplant in quarters is a match to watch

120: Gassaway seems to be a step above, no easy road for him with Robinson in quarters, but he beats him, then Bryant from Danbury in route to the title. Derosa vs Craig and Davol vs Fitzpatrick are great quarters, any of the 4 has a shot to make the finals, but I say the winner of Derosa/Craig makes it, I'll take Derosa.

126: Kevin Jack is one of the best in the tournament and won't be challenged much. He beats Ryan in the semis. Everett vs Mclinden could be good quarter, Maine has a shot to have a finalist in the first 4 weights, but I'll take Gutierez over Everett. Jack wins easily in finals.

132: Lafountain vs Melilo could be great quarter, I'm sure they either wrestled or have common opponents this year but I'm too lazy to look it up. I have Lemieux over Lafountain in one semi. Caffrey over Green in the other. Caffrey wins it? Honestly I have no idea here.

138: At least this is an easy one to pick, like Gassaway and Jack, Monseratt is a step above the rest here. His toughest match may be on the quarters, I say Peters comes back to take third. Monseratt over Chowanec in one semi, no clue who to pick in the other half. First round match with Merrigan and Levesque is best first round match, maybe the winner there makes the finals? Not familiar with ME or RI champs, so maybe one of those two? Merrigan wrestled Monseratt close at all-states, so for he sake of making a guess I'll pick him over O'Connell

145: I will refrain from making predictions here because I have a vested interested in this one. I spent the last year working with Bellows Falls, VT including Nolan Viens. I can't be unbiased here, I'm rooting for Nolan and won't jinx him with a prediction. He was 5th last year, Grifa was 4th (the two has a 1 point match at NE's). Reyes dominated in Mass. Kilpatrick and Travers are tough too. You make the picks!

152: Pretty easy to pick here. Labrie vs Viruet in finals, they both have tough opponents in quarters who could both come back to make top 4. Labrie will earn it with Sullivan in the first round, Peterson in quarters, he then beats Falbo in semis, Viruet beats Odell in quarters then Howarth in semis. Labriere repeats, but I won't be shocked if I'm wrong.

160: unfortunately the other Labrie and Viruet are on the same half of the bracket, but this is a great bracket with 4 legit studs, all in different quarters. I think Viruet continues his amazing season and proves Lowell was no fluke. Hughes over Hoehn on the other side. Hughes is very capable of upsetting either Viruet or Labrie, but I'll take Viruet

170: Drover over MarcAurele on one side, Garcia over Peterson on the other, giving Danbury 3 finalists. Drover wins it.

182: Price will have 3 tough matches with Umarov, Burke and Dionisotti, but I think he runs the gauntlet and makes the finals. Thomas over Gallagher on the other side with Thomas ending Price's great run.

195: Chilmeski has a tough draw as well, but I have him over Fallon on the top half, Mattison beats Ndi then Tighe to give MAU 4 finalists. Chimelski takes it.

220: I'm really only familiar with a couple names here, so I'll take Neff over Marino, Butterbrody over Ell, Butterbrody wins it.

285: Battle for 2nd here? Hourani has a tough task but he beats Anderson in the quarters then Gunter in semis. Webb over Porter on other side. Webb puts the icing on the MAU cake.
Bluestar61
Mon Mar 03 2014, 07:26PM
Registered Member #7153
Thanks for all the hard work Jeff! Good read and pretty sound. Lots of well deserved MAU love.
SpadleCradle
Mon Mar 03 2014, 08:23PM
Registered Member #9487
j johnson wrote ...

106: I'm not familiar with many in the weight so this is one of the biggest shot in the dark weights for me, but I'll take Freitas, Danbury over Garcia, Central in one semis, Craig over Aquino in the other. Pulling a name out of the hat I'll take Craig.

113: Again not familiar with everyone here, but my upset pick is Raetz. He has opponents from Noble, Danbury and Bishop Hendereken in his quarter, all teams MAU sees during the year, plus he owns wins over Laplant and Thomas. He makes the semis vs Hamilton, could go either way but I say the run ends there. Delgallo vs Laplant in the other with Delgallo winning and giving Maine champs in the first 2 weights. Kelly vs Laplant in quarters is a match to watch

120: Gassaway seems to be a step above, no easy road for him with Robinson in quarters, but he beats him, then Bryant from Danbury in route to the title. Derosa vs Craig and Davol vs Fitzpatrick are great quarters, any of the 4 has a shot to make the finals, but I say the winner of Derosa/Craig makes it, I'll take Derosa.

126: Kevin Jack is one of the best in the tournament and won't be challenged much. He beats Ryan in the semis. Everett vs Mclinden could be good quarter, Maine has a shot to have a finalist in the first 4 weights, but I'll take Gutierez over Everett. Jack wins easily in finals.

132: Lafountain vs Melilo could be great quarter, I'm sure they either wrestled or have common opponents this year but I'm too lazy to look it up. I have Lemieux over Lafountain in one semi. Caffrey over Green in the other. Caffrey wins it? Honestly I have no idea here.

138: At least this is an easy one to pick, like Gassaway and Jack, Monseratt is a step above the rest here. His toughest match may be on the quarters, I say Peters comes back to take third. Monseratt over Chowanec in one semi, no clue who to pick in the other half. First round match with Merrigan and Levesque is best first round match, maybe the winner there makes the finals? Not familiar with ME or RI champs, so maybe one of those two? Merrigan wrestled Monseratt close at all-states, so for he sake of making a guess I'll pick him over O'Connell

145: I will refrain from making predictions here because I have a vested interested in this one. I spent the last year working with Bellows Falls, VT including Nolan Viens. I can't be unbiased here, I'm rooting for Nolan and won't jinx him with a prediction. He was 5th last year, Grifa was 4th (the two has a 1 point match at NE's). Reyes dominated in Mass. Kilpatrick and Travers are tough too. You make the picks!

152: Pretty easy to pick here. Labrie vs Viruet in finals, they both have tough opponents in quarters who could both come back to make top 4. Labrie will earn it with Sullivan in the first round, Peterson in quarters, he then beats Falbo in semis, Viruet beats Odell in quarters then Howarth in semis. Labriere repeats, but I won't be shocked if I'm wrong.

160: unfortunately the other Labrie and Viruet are on the same half of the bracket, but this is a great bracket with 4 legit studs, all in different quarters. I think Viruet continues his amazing season and proves Lowell was no fluke. Hughes over Hoehn on the other side. Hughes is very capable of upsetting either Viruet or Labrie, but I'll take Viruet

170: Drover over MarcAurele on one side, Garcia over Peterson on the other, giving Danbury 3 finalists. Drover wins it.

182: Price will have 3 tough matches with Umarov, Burke and Dionisotti, but I think he runs the gauntlet and makes the finals. Thomas over Gallagher on the other side with Thomas ending Price's great run.

195: Chilmeski has a tough draw as well, but I have him over Fallon on the top half, Mattison beats Ndi then Tighe to give MAU 4 finalists. Chimelski takes it.

220: I'm really only familiar with a couple names here, so I'll take Neff over Marino, Butterbrody over Ell, Butterbrody wins it.

285: Battle for 2nd here? Hourani has a tough task but he beats Anderson in the quarters then Gunter in semis. Webb over Porter on other side. Webb puts the icing on the MAU cake.

J Johnson,

Good stuff. One kid you left off/don't know much about is Brad Bealieu 113, the Maine 2. He was a youth Phenom, and is a freshman stud in high school. He will make the finals against Delgallo(whom he lost to in triple OT this year)...

mrvinny
Mon Mar 03 2014, 08:29PM
Registered Member #1814
Jeff
What a great synopsis
I like Aquino and Lemieux but can't quibble with much else
Makendor10
Mon Mar 03 2014, 08:32PM
Registered Member #13711
does each state send an alternate? Or is it just MA kids? For example if a weight class at the new england tournament was missing a kid ( didn't show up, had a fungus that isn't cleared or whatever reason can't wrestle ) does the alternate from the same state as the kid who was prohibited fill in for him? I.E. If a CT kid drops out, is there a CT alternate and if so would he fill in? MA kid drops out, Ma kid fills in? I am just looking for clarification on the strucure of the "alternate".
speedkills
Mon Mar 03 2014, 08:41PM
Registered Member #8281
SpladeCradle wrote ...

j johnson wrote ...

J Johnson,

Good stuff. One kid you left off/don't know much about is Brad Bealieu 113, the Maine 2. He was a youth Phenom, and is a freshman stud in high school. He will make the finals against Delgallo(whom he lost to in triple OT this year)...

x

mrvinny
Mon Mar 03 2014, 08:52PM
Registered Member #1814
According to info packet entries had to be submitted by yesterday at
2:00 with no changes after that. They definitely don't allow alternates
on the same day, unlike Mass tournaments. I thought I had seen in another notice that changes could be made until Wednesday, but that must have been wrong
bostondad
Mon Mar 03 2014, 09:06PM
Registered Member #10956
Makendor10 wrote ...

does each state send an alternate? Or is it just MA kids? For example if a weight class at the new england tournament was missing a kid ( didn't show up, had a fungus that isn't cleared or whatever reason can't wrestle ) does the alternate from the same state as the kid who was prohibited fill in for him? I.E. If a CT kid drops out, is there a CT alternate and if so would he fill in? MA kid drops out, Ma kid fills in? I am just looking for clarification on the strucure of the "alternate".

From Info Packet:

CONTESTANTS:
Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont 1, 2, 3 place wrestlers
Connecticut 1, 2, 3, 4 place wrestlers
Massachusetts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 place wrestlers

Note: Alternates will be accepted until noon, Thursday, March 7th. Only wrestlers officially entered by state representatives may compete.
spladelcradel33
Mon Mar 03 2014, 09:10PM
Registered Member #10391
speedkills wrote ...

SpladeCradle wrote ...

j johnson wrote ...

J Johnson,

x

hamilton vs kelly splite i think hamilton may have a a 3-1 over kelly this year ( won at lowell, won at sectionals, and won at All states) i may be mistaken though, but i totally agree 113 is loaded as well, it is a pretty tough weight class may be some upsets but I think second day will show who stands above the rest.
champ967
Mon Mar 03 2014, 09:22PM
Registered Member #13681
Raetz got pinned by Kelley (Foxboro) at Lowell and it wasn't even close. Defiantly don't see him pulling any upsets over Mac...
champ967
Mon Mar 03 2014, 09:26PM
Registered Member #13681
Also, I think they need to rethink how they make these brackets. Some of these matchups early on are crazy and should probably be the finals matches. Robinson vs Gassaway in the quarters is pathetic and Viruet and Labrie having to meet in the semis isn't right either. I'm sure there's plenty of other examples I don't know of too.
mrvinny
Tue Mar 04 2014, 05:48AM
Registered Member #1814
Setting up brackets by formula has it's drawbacks, but seeding could also be quite difficult. I suppose you could seed 6 state winners, but that could be a problem as well, especially if no common opponents
thatstwo
Wed Mar 05 2014, 08:45AM
Registered Member #13849
j johnson wrote ...

Amazing work put into your predictions. Thanks for the hard work. It really is unforutnate how some of the most looked forward to finals matches wont even be happening. There are a few matches I was looking forward to seeing at New Englands this year and now we will have to settle for Day 1 or Semis matches instead making the finals less entertaining in some weights.

At 160 I think everyone can agree that this final should Viruit and Labrie but non the less if they can recreate a match like the one they had at the lowell finals it will be amazing to watch. At 138 after seeing Merrigan and Peters in the lowell finals in OT i was really hoping to see a rematch of that as it should be one semi to get to monserratt but cant win them all i guess, I do think that Merrigan and OConnell will be a great match I have seen Merrigan wrestle alot this postseason and he looks great and tough to score on unless your Monserratt, Im not to sure about OConnell but everything I've heard is he is a great wrestler so it will be a tough matchup no matter what.

Also one last opinion after seeing Sarvalov at lowell this year im suprised he took 3rd in NH he looked great so be on the lookout for a upset run from him at 145.
SpadleCradle
Wed Mar 05 2014, 10:18AM
Registered Member #9487
"At 160 I think everyone can agree that this final should Viruit and Labrie"

I don't know about that. Cody Hughes from ME is ranked in every USA wrestling magazine in top 20 best juniors in nation. He won sophomore NHSCA nationals last year. He is a force to be reckoned with.
thatstwo
Wed Mar 05 2014, 10:37AM
Registered Member #13849
SpladeCradle wrote ...

I don't know about that. Cody Hughes from ME is ranked in every USA wrestling magazine in top 20 best juniors in nation. He won sophomore NHSCA nationals last year. He is a force to be reckoned with.

Completely correct i honestly forgot about him this morning guess I hadnt had my coffee yet.
j johnson
Wed Mar 05 2014, 10:43AM
Registered Member #2580
Bluestar61 wrote ...

Thanks for all the hard work Jeff! Good read and pretty sound. Lots of well deserved MAU love.

Thanks Mike. There's a few non MAU wrestlers from VT you know I'm pulling for...
mray
Wed Mar 05 2014, 10:55AM
Registered Member #278
SpladeCradle wrote ...

Agreed here. Cody Hughes is solid in all phases and he is a pinner.
plm_77
Wed Mar 05 2014, 05:18PM

Some fun stats for NE Qualifiers

link
Shiva Blast
Wed Mar 05 2014, 05:19PM
Registered Member #12905
106- Aquino MA over Freitas CT
113- DelGallo ME over Beaulieu ME
120- Gassaway VT over Derosa MA
126- Jack CT over Gutierrez MA
132- Howard RI over Lemieux NH
138- Monserrat MA over Merrigan MA
145- Reyes MA over Viens VT
152- Labrie RI over Viruet MA
160- Viruet MA over Hughes ME
170- Drover MA over Garcia CT
182- Thomas CT over Price VT
195- Chimelski NH over Mattison VT
220- Butterbrodt MA over Neff RI
285- Webb VT over Hourani CT
mray
Wed Mar 05 2014, 06:01PM
Registered Member #278
plm_77 wrote ...

link

Good work and interesting facts. However, the NE Council would never go backward on qualifiers from the smaller states. Too much money involved. A 32 man bracket would be the best way to go. Mass 9, Conn. 6, NH 4, RI 4, Maine 4 , Vermont 3. That would be 30. Possibly Mass. gets 11 with D-1etting 4, D-2 getting 4, and D-3 getting 3. Just a thought. This would eliminate the slaughter that is called the All-States. And would make it real easy to set up the Dual States Tourney. Don't shish-kabob me.
plm_77
Wed Mar 05 2014, 06:31PM

mray wrote ...

plm_77 wrote ...

link

Good work and interesting facts. However, the NE Council would never go backward on qualifiers from the smaller states. Too much money involved. A 32 man bracket would be the best way to go. Mass 9, Conn. 6, NH 4, RI 4, Maine 4 , Vermont 3. That would be 30. Possibly Mass. gets 11 with D-1etting 4, D-2 getting 4, and D-3 getting 3. Just a thought. This would eliminate the slaughter that is called the All-States. And would make it real easy to set up the Dual States Tourney. Don't shish-kabob me.

Wouldn't it be more money? You would get more qualifiers from Mass/CT, which would mean more coaches/teams, and more fans. The Mt. Anthony fans are coming anyways(They would go from 13 qualifiers to 7 which is still the most in the tourney), now you are just going to add to the fan base with more qualifiers from MASS/CT. The team score might be a little more interesting and the quality of wrestling better(ME3/RI3/NH3/VT3 would have a slim chance of qualifying in MA or CT). I'm not downplaying their achievement it's just statistics.
mray
Wed Mar 05 2014, 06:37PM
Registered Member #278
plm_77 wrote ...

mray wrote ...

plm_77 wrote ...

link

Wouldn't it be more money? You would get more qualifiers from Mass/CT, which would mean more coaches/teams, and more fans. The Mt. Anthony fans are coming anyways(They would go from 13 qualifiers to 7 which is still the most in the tourney), now you are just going to add to the fan base with more qualifiers from MASS/CT. The team score might be a little more interesting and the quality of wrestling better(ME3/RI3/NH3/VT3 would have a slim chance of qualifying in MA or CT). I'm not downplaying their achievement it's just statistics.

Agreed , but at $20 a wrestler they will be making a boat load more and the area hosting would benefit.
Hurricane
Wed Mar 05 2014, 07:43PM
Registered Member #10057
1. Aquino (CM)
2. Cardosa (Mount Hope)
3. Morris (Tyngsborough)
4. Freitas (Danbury)
5. Garcia (Central)
6. Craig (Skowhegan)

1. Delgallo (Gardiner)
2. Beaulieu (Marshwood)
3. Celico (BH)
4. Laplante (Nashua North)
5. Kelly (Franklin)
6. Hamilton (LS)

1. Gassaway (MAU)
2. Derosa (Billerica)
3. Robinson (Shrewsbury)
4. Bryant (Danbury)
5. Zogby (Franklin)
6. Fitzpatrick (Timberlane)

1. Jack (Danbury)
2. McLinden (Timberlane)
3. Ryan (Dracut)
4. D'Aloisio (Lincoln)
5. Cannone (Trumbull)
6. Soto (Johnston)

1. Howard (Moses Brown)
2. Lemieux (Londonderry)
3. Bohle (Timberlane)
4. Caffrey (South Winsdor)
5. Mellilo (North Andover)
6. Lafountain (MAU)

1. Monserrat (Methuen)
2. Merrigan (Canton)
3. Peters (Timberlane)
4. Chowanec (Xavier)
5. Caskey (Montville)
6. Sevigney (Wells)

1. Reyes (Dedham)
2. Kilpatrick (Bacon)
3. Travers (Toll Gate)
4. Grifa (Silver Lake)
5. Veins (Bellows Falls)
6. Sarvalov (Manchester Central)

1. Labrie (Exeter West)
2. Ricky Viruet (Central)
3. Peterson (Manchester Central)
4. Sullivan (Canton)
5. Falbo (Newtown)
6. Howarth (Marshwood)

1. Viruet (Central)
2. Hughes (Marshwood)
3. Labrie (Exeter West)
4. Hoehn (North Andover)
5. Bean (Londonderry)
6. Onofrio (Daniel Hand)

1. Drover (North Andover)
2. Garcia (Danbury)
3. MarcAurele (Ledyard)
4. Barreiro (Pinkerton)
5. Peterson (Manchester Central)
6. Hoar (Shawsheen Tech)

1. Price (MAU)
2. Thomas (ESW)
3. Burke (Exeter)
4. Dionisotti (LS)
5. Humphries (East Longmeadow)
6. Gallagher (Narragansett)

1. Chimelski (Nashua North)
2. Mattison (MAU)
3. Maxwell (Southington)
4. Ndi (Concord)
5. Tighe (Franklin)
6. Fallon (Winchester)

1. Butterbrodt (St. Johns Prep)
2. Neff (Exeter West)
3. Cavanna ( Glastonbury)
4. Ell (Pinkerton)
5. Marino (Trumbull)
6. Garland (Ellsworth)

1. Webb (MAU)
2. Hourani (Fairfield Warde)
3. Anderson (Central)
4. Shrewsbury (Westfield)
5. Sauer (BH)
6. Gunter (Mt. Blue)
Go to page: Go to page  [1] 2 3 4 5 6          << Previous thread | Next thread >>

Jump:     Back to top

Moderators: Mike Atlas, CoachMiller, The Rankings Team, JMode, Shvarts, eoghanjames, Jim Maher, plm_77, jubele135, Hill Billy, psch, tourneygeek, NE_07, Sam Shames, Chicken Wing Coach, New England Rankings, matchamp99, Nuge
Click to see our RSS feeds available -->
Recent Wrestling Boxscores
see all | submit | rss

02/09/2017----------
Barnstable-40
Plymouth North-15
02/08/2017----------
Weymouth-17
Walpole-52
02/08/2017----------
North Attleboro-51
Oliver Ames-12
Newest Posts
Re: 2017 Women's/Girls Wrestling event calendar
K-12 Precision Valley Classic GIRLS VT State ...
Posted by GreenMtnMom
Feb 20 17 : 12:17

Re: 2016-2017 Youth Tournament Schedule
Springfield VT tournaments on March 4th:K-8 S...
Posted by GreenMtnMom
Feb 20 17 : 12:15

TOURNAMENTS IN SPRINGFIELD, VT - MARCH 4th
Please add the following two tournaments in S...
Posted by GreenMtnMom
Feb 20 17 : 12:13

Re: 2017 Off-Season Events Schedule
New forum for VT Wrestling: http://vermontwr...
Posted by GreenMtnMom
Feb 20 17 : 12:12

All State Practices
DWC will be holding practice for all wrestler...
Posted by LoganDWC
Feb 19 17 : 20:48

Re: 2016-17 MIAA Post Season Tournament Links
Happyman44 wrote ...w1nbyp1n wrote ...All sta...
Posted by w1nbyp1n
Feb 19 17 : 20:41

North Attleboro JV Tournament is CLOSED
Sorry everyone,The event is FULL.We will NOT ...
Posted by North_Coach
Feb 19 17 : 20:37

Support MassWrestling. Click a link!