most ever online: 319
Members: 9343
Newest: VT31
Support MassWrestling - Click a link!
Wrestling Singlets

Wrestling Shoes

Forums
MassWrestling.com :: Forums :: Youth Wrestling

2013 Youth New Englands - Wed 3/6/13 Last Day to Register  Go to page  [1] 2 3 4 5
Mike Stuer
Sun Nov 18 2012, 11:12AM
Registered Member #1063
As you gear up for the 2013 wrestling season, please save the date for the 2013 Youth New Englands: March 9-10, 2013. This is the most competitive youth wrestling tournament in New England, as wrestlers from all six NE states vie for New England championships.

Tournament Flier (PDF): [link]

Details of the 2013 Youth New England tournament, which will be held on March 9-10, 2013 at Nashua North (NH) High School can be found at http://YNEW.org. The tournament will be run with a similar format to last year: the first day for Intermediate and Novice wrestlers; the second day for Middle School wrestlers. All registration and weigh-ins will take place on Saturday March 9th at Nashua North HS.

There are some notable changes, which are summarized below and in the 2013 tournament informational flier and the seeding chart for the 2013 Youth New Englands. Here is a summary of the changes for the 2013 tournament:

• Host Facility - This year's tournament will be held at Nashua North HS (rather than Nashua South HS). These are nearly identical schools, only a couple of miles apart. Nashua North HS is located at 10 Chuck Druding Drive, less than two miles from Route 3 (Exit 6W), a left off Broad St.

• Age Requirement - The age cut-off for each division has been adjusted to align with the school year. The new age cut-off is September 1st, rather than January 1st.

• Weight Classes - The weight classes in all age divisions have been modified to create safer and more competitive weight classes. This year, there are 42 weight classes in three age divisions, compared to 50 overall weight classes last year. This change will help the states that adopt the New England weight classes to complete their tournaments in one day.

• State Qualification - State place finishers will be guaranteed qualifying slots according to the following 5-4-3 allotment: CT & MA (5); RI & NH (4); ME & VT (3). Using these allotments, all state place finishers qualify for the Youth New Englands, regardless of whether a state adopts the New England weight classes. However, qualifying wrestlers MUST make the New England weight to compete.

• On-Line Registration - You MUST pre-register for the tournament by Wednesday March 6, 2013. Beginning in February, you may register on-line at YNEW.org. The registration fee for the 2013 Youth New Englands is $30. A $5 insurance fee is assessed at weigh-ins; the fee will be waived for USA Wrestling and AAU members.

Tournament Seeding Chart (PDF): [link]

I look forward to seeing you in Nashua on March 9-10th... good luck this season !

Mike Stuer
Tournament Director
2013 Youth New Englands
-email-
matmom
Sun Dec 09 2012, 11:27AM
Registered Member #10934
again the 70lb middle school bracket has been eliminated, why?
buzzdog111
Wed Dec 12 2012, 10:03PM
Registered Member #569
I am very confused why the sudden change to something that already works? Why make a change and Align the age groups with the start of the school Calendar? Does the Board really think it matters?  It's always been age and why the sudden change and what logic is the change based on?

Thanks!
Mike Stuer
Tue Dec 18 2012, 08:30PM
Registered Member #1063
Regarding the questions about weight and age... weights have been modified to reduce the overall number of weight classes and age ranges have been revised to align with the school year.

The primary reason for the weight adjustments is ensuring that we don't have too many weight classes and thus "water down" the New England championships. Historical weigh-in data indicates that there are a relatively low number of middle school wrestlers less than 70 lbs. A similar adjustment has been made with the lowest Novice weight class (now 63 lbs).

As for the age cut-off, this change allows for "fall babies" to repeat a school year and still qualify for the Youth New Englands. Wrestlers born in the first nine months of the year have always enjoyed this advantage. The objective is to level the playing field for those with late-year birth dates.
jlaff3
Wed Dec 19 2012, 05:02AM
Registered Member #11900
Just curious why you would have a child qualify at 64 but then tell him he has to lose a pound (63) for a tournament he qualified for??
CoachMike05
Wed Dec 19 2012, 10:43AM
Registered Member #8105
Mike Stuer wrote ...

Regarding the questions about weight and age... weights have been modified to reduce the overall number of weight classes and age ranges have been revised to align with the school year.

As for the age cut-off, this change allows for "fall babies" to repeat a school year and still qualify for the Youth New Englands. Wrestlers born in the first nine months of the year have always enjoyed this advantage. The objective is to level the playing field for those with late-year birth dates.

If the reason to slide the date back a few months is for the 8th graders who might have previously missed out on the Jan 1st date, then makes all the sense in the world to me. Afterall, the other sports allow the same thing for the middle schools: football, baseball, basketball teams..the only guideline is that they are in 8th grade or below.
HOWEVER, I think if that is the true spirit behind the decision, a report card from this school year should also need to be shown with birth certificate to verify the kids are in 8th grade or below....
Mike Stuer
Sun Dec 23 2012, 07:49AM
Registered Member #1063
Two good points on weight classes and eligible grades...

With regards to grade eligibility, 9th graders are NOT eligible for the Youth New Englands. It's unlikely that we'll require documentation of grade; the school and grade of participating wrestlers is hard to keep as a secret.

As for the weight classes, the New England weights do not match the MYWA weights in all cases this year. We couldn't reach agreement on some of them, so we agreed to use different weight classes and apply the following rules:
  • If state and NE weights are the same, a wrestler must compete in the New Englands at his state weight.
  • If they're different, a wrestler may compete at the next weight class, either up or down.
  • There is no bumping past an adjacent weight class to get to another.

We did not want to require kids to lose weight, so we are allowing wrestlers to move either up or down by one weight class - if their state weight is different than the New England weight class.
jlaff3
Sun Dec 23 2012, 10:29PM
Registered Member #11900
So will they need to make 63 if they are wrestling 63 even tho they qulified at 64? Also you saying they can bump up a weight class.... Dont you thin thats a little tough for a kid to bump up 5 pounds???
CoachMike05
Mon Dec 24 2012, 01:58AM
Registered Member #8105
Mike Stuer wrote ...

Two good points on weight classes and eligible grades...

With regards to grade eligibility, 9th graders are NOT eligible for the Youth New Englands. It's unlikely that we'll require documentation of grade; the school and grade of participating wrestlers is hard to keep as a secret.

I ask the question because your flier doesn't say 9th graders aren't eligible...it actually says high school students can wrestle if meet age and weight requirements. (the below is copied from your flier)

High School Status: Eligible wrestlers (who meet the age and weight requirements) and who compete for their local high school
teams are eligible if they do NOT compete in their high school state tournament or the Prep New England tournament.

dadoftwins
Mon Dec 24 2012, 06:40AM
Registered Member #9654
Do intermediates have to qualify this year at their state qualifier, or like last year can they register on a first come basis.
Mike Stuer
Mon Dec 24 2012, 06:42AM
Registered Member #1063
Coach, we'll revise the flier to be explicit: no 9th graders.

Regarding the question about a wrestler who qualifies at 64 lbs in the state tournament. That wrestler will have the choice of competing at 63 lbs or 69 lbs.
jlaff3
Mon Dec 24 2012, 09:52AM
Registered Member #11900
Ok Thanks.

950esc
Mon Dec 24 2012, 10:29AM
Registered Member #10185
Reminder to all to not put the cart before the horse-Everyone should focus on one tournament at a time-wrestlers need to qualify at the state tournament first-then look into details of the new england championship.
GrayDawg
Sun Dec 30 2012, 08:40AM
Registered Member #4288
Mike,
Where/when is the state qualifying tournament for a Massachusetts resident who wishes to enter the Youth New England Wrestling Championships?

My son is in 8th grade (~90 lbs.) and would very much like to enter this tournament.
We'll go wherever he needs to go to qualify.

Please advise.........

Rob
Damage Inc
Sun Dec 30 2012, 09:37AM
Registered Member #8744
Sectionals are Feb 3rd and the State tourney is Feb 17th for MA. The locations have been chosen, just not announced yet.
Mike Stuer
Sun Dec 30 2012, 09:49AM
Registered Member #1063
The MYWA State Championship is the qualifying tournament for MA wrestlers looking to compete in the Youth New Englands. Top five placers from MA qualify for New Englands. The MA States are going to be held at Algonquin Regional HS on February 17th.

MA wrestlers must place at one of three sectional tournaments on February 3rd in order to compete in the MA States. Check with Jim Harrington, Steve Lopilato, or other members of MYWA for more details on the MA sectional and state tournaments.
Damage Inc
Sun Dec 30 2012, 09:55AM
Registered Member #8744
Mike, I dont think we have voted on all the locations that have been chosen (I think theres a vote still for one, but has been chosen unofficially) Saying that, Algonquin is the State tourney location again for this year on the 17th
Mike Stuer
Sun Dec 30 2012, 09:59AM
Registered Member #1063
Just saw Damage Inc's post that the location of the MYWA States has not yet been announced. I hope that I didn't speak out of turn. Please contact Jim, Steve, or other MYWA board members for more information on the MYWA States...

Regarding the Youth New Englands, there is a new development with the location of the tournament: the 2013 Youth New Englands will be held at Lowell High School (not Nashua North).

The change of venue came about because Nashua couldn't make a 100% commitment to the use of its high school. As a result, the Youth New Englands will return to Lowell HS, where the tournament was held in 2010 and 2011.

Look for an updated flier shortly... just finalizing hotel arrangements before releasing the new flier.

GrayDawg
Sun Dec 30 2012, 10:01AM
Registered Member #4288
Mike,
Thank you very much....... Good info that I can now move forward with. Looks like the North Sectional would be most appropriate for a kid from the North Shore.

Rob
Mike Stuer
Sun Dec 30 2012, 10:29AM
Registered Member #1063
Just realized that I missed a previous question about Intermediate wrestlers (birth dates from 9/1/02 to 8/31/04)...

Intermediates can qualify through the MA K-4 States, but it's not mandatory. Placing at the K-4 States will help with the seeding of Intermediate wrestlers.

In cases with age or weight class differences between the states and the New Englands, all state placers are eligible for New Englands, but their seeding is not guaranteed. This is true in all age divisions, not just Intermediate.
matmom
Mon Dec 31 2012, 02:25AM
Registered Member #10934
[quote]

The primary reason for the weight adjustments is ensuring that we don't have too many weight classes and thus "water down" the New England championships. Historical weigh-in data indicates that there are a relatively low number of middle school wrestlers less than 70 lbs. A similar adjustment has been made with the lowest Novice weight class (now 63 lbs).

Mike
As you said "historically there are low numbers for the middle school 70 lbs" so how does that "water down" the NE? Adjustments are made for heavier kids but not the lighter ones, why? Our son is a natural <70 lbs and he is not alone. There may not be alot of these light weights but they deserve to compete without giving up ~10 lbs to do so in states. Of course if they do they have the "option" to compete with giving up less in NE.
GrayDawg
Mon Dec 31 2012, 07:46AM
Registered Member #4288
matmom wrote ...

Our son is a natural <70 lbs and he is not alone. There may not be alot of these light weights but they deserve to compete without giving up ~10 lbs to do so in states. Of course if they do they have the "option" to compete with giving up less in NE.

Tina,
Please don't take this the wrong way, it is intended to provide a "bigger picture" perspective of the whole weight descrepency subject as it pertains to top flight, 7th & 8th graders who are physically- on the smaller side.

I'm assuming your son is in 7th grade given that you've stated he's a natural "less than 70 pounder". This means that in the best case scenario,he has 2 years to gain 26 lbs. just to get to 96 lbs. and he'll still be giving up 10 lbs. to most kids wrestling 106 in HS. Now if your son is in 6th grade, it's a little better in terms of time for him to grow- but please understand this is coming from a parent of a naturally smaller 8th grader who has been giving up 10-12 lbs. to every kid he wrestles by choice.

When I say "by choice", I'm talking about accepting the fact that the accolades of a young wrestler that are achieved in youth tournaments, will quickly be forgotten when the boy reaches HS and isn't ready to grapple with kids that he's giving up significant pounds to. My son was told 3 years ago by a very respected & experienced coach, "Don't concern yourself with what you accomplish at the youth level, put yourself on a path that will physically & mentally prepare you for your freshman year of HS."

When my son rolls into HS next year and is wrestling at 106 as a 97 pounder, he'll be okay. Remember, this is coming from the father of a naturally small kid who only wants what's best for my son over the long haul. This strategy isn't for all kids, they (and you) need to understand that given their size, they will learn more & improve faster by wrestling bigger, heaveir kids. They will not experience short term success. They will get beat. But they will learn quickly how to defend against a bigger opponent, They will be forced to become technically proficient so as to use every ounce of their body weight to their advantage when on the mat.

In the long term, this strategy will pay off. Because if your son is 90 lbs. as a freshman and wrestling kids weighing 105.5 lbs., if he's never had to give up 1/6th of his total body weight to an opponent before- it won't be pretty.

If you think 10 lbs. is alot now, wait 'til it's 10+ lbs. and their opponent is on the other side of puberty and full of testosterone.

I hope this helps, good luck to your son.

Rob
NEYWA
Mon Dec 31 2012, 11:13AM
Registered Member #10354
Rob,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I see it a little differently than you. From my perspective an unseasoned youth wrestler who only wrestles during wrestling season and gives up more than 10% of his weight is potentially dangerous. If a smaller kid isn't training in the off-season and capable of countering much heavier kids in a live wrestling session he (in my opinion) is much more likely to get injured. Ripped shoulders, torqued knees, a kid with a 10% weight advantage is quite the advantage.

Sure wrestling up in practice is one thing, but it's a controlled environment for the most part. Nobody is looking to WIN against the smaller kid in a practice room. Take that same smaller kid who weighs 68.8 lbs and put him in a 76# bracket at best he's giving up 7#'s which is in excess of 10% and worst case scenario he's wrestling kids who cut down from 78#'s or more.

Eventually every kid is going to make wrestling weight in high school but some take longer than others. At the youth level it's about getting matches. If the 68# kid can wrestle up to 76, why can't the 112 go to 118? If it's so safe and such a great advantage to wrestle heavier kids in the youth middle school division why not just let kids of every weight class jump up to the next heavier weight class? As a matter of fact it should be a random draw! Every kid weighs in and 2 kids of each weight class will be randomly selected to wrestle up to the next heavier class! Something tells me it all of a sudden wouldn't be such a great idea after all.

In my opinion it's all about getting kids in every weight class fair competition. Keeping a 70 bracket in NO WAY waters down the other brackets, especially when special accommodations are being made for middle schoolers weighing more than 195#'s. Seeing I have no control over these high headed decisions though, I humbly submit maybe I'm missing the "big picture".

Keith Fallon
CoachMike05
Mon Dec 31 2012, 11:42AM
Registered Member #8105
Personally, I think it would be easier for all the states and the New England tournament to adopt the USA Wrestling weights. I understand the argument in the past, is that 4 of the 6 states aren't USA Wrestling heavy states and therefore most coaches and wrestlers do not have a USA Wrestling card and don't want to pay the extra fees just to be in one event. But nothing says that it has to be an official USA event, just because using their wt classes, can still use whatever insurance policies the tournament directors want to use. If everyone would adopt the national weight classes, there wouldn't be the disconnect amongst individual state qualifying tournaments and the New Englands.
NEYWA
Mon Dec 31 2012, 11:48AM
Registered Member #10354
I agree, adopting the USA weights, without adopting USA wrestling would make a whole bunch of sense to me. It's a defense to the arbitrary weight classes argument too.
Go to page: Go to page  [1] 2 3 4 5          << Previous thread | Next thread >>

Jump:     Back to top

Moderators: Mike Atlas, CoachMiller, The Rankings Team, JMode, Shvarts, eoghanjames, Jim Maher, plm_77, jubele135, Hill Billy, psch, tourneygeek, NE_07, Chicken Wing Coach, New England Rankings

Click to see our RSS feeds available -->
Recent Wrestling Boxscores
see all | submit | rss

02/18/2014----------
Durfee-39
Somerset Berkley-27
02/12/2014----------
Chelmsford-51
Lowell-22
02/12/2014----------
Minuteman Tech-4
Malden Catholic-69
Newest Posts
Re: Preseason Rankings 2014-2015
6. Aquino
Posted by ThinkBig
Oct 22 14 : 22:10

Re: Preseason Rankings 2014-2015
P4P:1.Jonathon Viruette2.Fritz Hoehne3. Ian B...
Posted by ThinkBig
Oct 22 14 : 22:10

MWU Halloween Havoc Duals - Final Results
Congratulations to KT Kidz for taking the tit...
Posted by JMode
Oct 22 14 : 22:09

Re: NCAA D-I Nat'l. Wrestling Tourn. Forges New MMA Talent
Joe Warren defeated Eduardo Dantas & capt...
Posted by Chicken Wing Coach
Oct 22 14 : 20:04

Re: How many (4x) LOWELL HOLIDAY CHAMPS have there ever been?
They're listed previously on the first page o...
Posted by Chicken Wing Coach
Oct 22 14 : 19:10

Re: "Pin Down Bulling" Initiative
Another example of where this idiocy of panic...
Posted by Medic5392
Oct 22 14 : 19:02

Re: How many (4x) LOWELL HOLIDAY CHAMPS have there ever been?
whos the 2?
Posted by nb135
Oct 22 14 : 18:59

Support MassWrestling. Click a link!