[ ]
Guests: 10, Members: 0 ...

most ever online: 859
Members: 9967
Newest: Matthew Allen
Support MassWrestling. Click a link!

Forums
MassWrestling.com :: Forums :: Non Wrestling Competition

NCAA D-I Nat'l. Wrestling Tourn. Forges New MMA Talent  Go to page  1 2 3 4 [5] 6 ... 11 12 13
Chicken Wing Coach
Wed Dec 07 2011, 05:29PM

Top 9 MMA Heavyweights: [link]
#9: Daniel Cormier (9-0)
#7: Shane Carwin (12-2)
#4: Brock Lesnar: (5-2)
#2: Cain Velasquez (9-1)

Top 9 MMA Light Heavyweights: [link]
#7: Phil Davis (9-0)
#5: Quinton Rampage Jackson (32-9)
#4: Dan Henderson (29-8)
#2: Rashad Evans (16-1-1)
#1: Jon Jones (14-1)
------------------------------------------------------------
Rashad Evans & Phil Davis to top 2nd. UFC on FOX Card: [link]

New Fight for "King Mo": (Slated for STRIKEFORCE'S Jan. 7 Event, 'King Mo' Not UFC-Bound Yet): [link]

Chicken Wing Coach
Thu Dec 08 2011, 07:41PM

Scott Jorgensen on quest for UFC bantamweight title. "There's nothing I'm gonna face in the UFC cage that I haven't faced in the Boise State wrestling room or going up against guys like Johnny Thompson from Oklahoma State." So says Scott Jorgensen, 29, a three-time Pac-10 conference wrestling champ for Boise State who has made a successful transition from the college mats to a professional career in MMA.

Hitting the mat at age 8:
Scott Jorgensen was introduced to wrestling at age 8. "I loved wrestling. No one else to rely on. I really liked the idea of having to count on myself, & not having to depend on a team to get better or have success." In H.S. in Alaska, Jorgensen was a 2x state finalist, winning a state title.

From college mats to MMA:
At Boise State, Jorgensen credited another former Pac-10 matman who made the transition from collegiate wrestling to success in his MMA career ... & urged Jorgensen to do the same. "Urijah Faber talked me into fighting," said the former Bronco 133-pounder of Faber, who had wrestled at the University of California-Davis. before launching his own successful career in MMA.

In 2010, World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) was merged into UFC, propelling Jorgensen into the top echelon of professional MMA competition. Jorgensen scored a unanimous decision over Jeff Curran at UFC 137 in Las Vegas. One MMA website's headline read: "Scott Jorgensen Uses Wrestling to Control Jeff Curran."

Prepped for anything in the cage, thanks to Wrestling:
Was the transition from amateur wrestling to MMA competition daunting for Jorgensen? "I was born to do this," continued Jorgensen. "I've been competing since I was 8. All the workouts, wins, & losses. Wrestling is the best background for MMA." "If you make it through a year of a college wrestling room, you can do well in MMA," according to Jorgensen. "By any measuring stick, with my experience at Boise State, I'm prepared for whatever can happen in the cage."

"Joe Warren is one of my best friends," Jorgensen continued, referring to yet another MMA competitor who has had success as a Wrestler. "He always reminds me, 'Remember where you came from -- WRESTLING.'" "When you're in a predicament, you dig down for what you've overcome before."

"It took me till I was 16 or 17 that I really decided to be more serious about my Wrestling. To push myself harder, go longer. You learn who you are when you are truly tired." "When you WRESTLE, you learn the importance of a strong work ethic," Jorgensen continued. "With that, you won't fail." "I put all my current success on my WRESTLING."

Tough talk:
Years of Wrestling experience have all led to his current career: "I'm not the most technical fighter, but you'll never break me." "My style in the cage is a hard-nosed approach, in-your-face, 'I'm dictating this fight,' 'I'll break you mentally before I break you physically' style," according to Jorgensen. "My fights are a War of attrition -- that the other guy's gonna give long before I would think of it." "I'm a hard-headed Wrestler who knows what I can overcome."

Perfect Preparation:
"My training routine is pretty simple. I train six days a week. I spar twice a week. Every day has some Wrestling & Grappling, do strength & conditioning work too, & striking for 30 minutes nonstop." "I model my training on how Boise State did it. Again, it all ties back to my WRESTLING roots. Hard work pays off."

Scott Jorgensen has one goal: to win the UFC title. Jorgensen's Wrestling background, relentless training & hard-nosed attitude will serve him well in that title quest ... along with another key ingredient: "I love what I do. I remind myself to have fun. This is what I want to do."

*Check out this article in it's "FULL ENTIRETY" via InterMatFight here: [link]
Chicken Wing Coach
Fri Dec 09 2011, 05:02PM

Nik Lentz ready for tough test against Bocek at UFC 140. Nik Lentz has been on a tear since he started fighting for the UFC in 2009. "I think I've been successful because I have a very good wrestling background & a good technical background, which is what you need for fighting," said Lentz. [More]: [link]

Energy broker John Cholish set to make UFC debut (UFC 140). The 28-year old former Cornell University Wrestler earned second-team All-Ivy & the Big Red finished fourth in the NCAA tournament. [link]
Chicken Wing Coach
Mon Dec 12 2011, 01:00PM

Jon "Bones" Jones, a 2006 JUCO National Champion, successfully defends his Light Heavyweight title belt @ UFC 140, putting Lyoto Machida to sleep (UFC 140 Recap): [link]

*Former heavyweight champion Frank Mir found himself in danger early against Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, as he was stunned by several strikes. Nogueira attempted a submission, but Mir quickly turned the tables & secured a KIMURA which broke Nogueira's arm, & gave Mir the victory. Mir was awarded Submission of the Night.

What we learned at UFC 140: [link]
Chicken Wing Coach
Fri Dec 16 2011, 04:00PM

UFC Fighter JOHNY HENDRICKS is one of the world's top welterweights. The former Oklahoma State wrestler is 11-1 & ranked No. 8 in the InterMatFight welterweight rankings. Hendricks is preparing for his Dec. 30 fight at UFC 141 in Las Vegas against No. 2 Jon Fitch, (also a former Wrestler) who has gone 13-1-1 in the UFC dating back to 2005, with his only loss to Georges St. Pierre during that span.

InterMat Fight - One-on-One with Johny Hendricks: Andrew Hipps talks to him about Jon Fitch, Josh Koscheck, Ben Askren, GSP & more... Who is your wrestling coach? Hendricks: I go back to Oklahoma State to work with JOHN SMITH. [link]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Munoz calls out Chael Sonnen: Munoz: Sonnen shouldn't worry about danger in Brazil, because he won't be going. Top contender ready to eliminate Sonnen & chase Anderson Silva. Mark Munoz: The only thing standing between the former NCAA Champion & a title shot is Chael Sonnen. Rashad Evans vs. Phil Davis (also former Wrestlers) are competing on the same Fight Card = Jan. 28th, 2012: [link]
Chicken Wing Coach
Tue Mar 20 2012, 08:03PM

Wrestler vs. Wrestler, again! Jon Jones vs. Rashad Evans.

Jones: Evans doesn't have my number (UFC 145): [link]

UFC 145: Jones vs. Evans Extended Preview (YouTube 9:27mins.): [link]

'UFC on FX: Maynard vs. Guida' finds a home (June 22, 2012 UFC on FX 4): [link]
Chicken Wing Coach
Fri Mar 23 2012, 07:46PM

King Mo Lawal reveals shocking Staph Infection details. Mo Lawal considered stopping treatment for Staph Infection: 'I felt like...If I die then I die': [link]
Chicken Wing Coach
Mon Apr 09 2012, 02:37PM

Bellator 64: Making the Grade for Ben Askren vs. Douglas Lima: [BEN ASKREN: A]: What Ben Askren does in the cage is not pretty, at least in the traditional sense. It's infuriating to fans of the sport who prefer their MMA product to be a little less grappling- heavy.

But here's the thing: Until someone can stop Askren's takedowns, he has zero reason to abandon them. He goes in the cage with one clear mission: to take his opponent to the ground & keep them there. He doesn't risk getting caught by going for submission attempts. He doesn't worry about battering his opponent with ground & pound. He simply plants his opponents on their backs & keeps them there with the best wrestling game in the sport.

It doesn't matter if you hate it, either. Askren simply doesn't care, as he showed with his post-fight interview after smothering Douglas Lima for five rounds. He's a natural heel, & he doesn't really care if you like him. In fact, he seems to thrive on hatred from fans.

Lima was a legitimate challenger, & Askren easily disposed of him. Outside of a rematch with Jay Hieron, I can't see many true challengers remaining for Askren in Bellator.

[link]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben Askren Beats Douglas Lima to Retain Bellator Championship: [link]
Chicken Wing Coach
Mon Apr 09 2012, 10:36PM

'Wrestling's Chris Honeycutt: 'I've Always Wanted to Fight since High School': [link]
Chicken Wing Coach
Tue Apr 10 2012, 07:45PM

UFC 145 Jones vs. Evans "PRIMETIME"- Episode #1 (Full Video = 21:55mins.): [link]
Chicken Wing Coach
Fri Apr 13 2012, 06:29PM

MMA Unlocked - WRESTLING with Dan Henderson: [link]
Chicken Wing Coach
Thu Apr 26 2012, 08:26PM

MMA Live Extra: Jon Jones beats Rashad Evans: [link]
Chicken Wing Coach
Mon Apr 30 2012, 05:18PM

Jones opens as huge favorite over Henderson / Oddsmakers place Jon Jones as overwhelming favorite versus Dan Henderson: [link]
Chicken Wing Coach
Tue May 08 2012, 05:40PM

UFC: The road ahead for Johny Hendricks: [link]

InterMat Fight - Takedown Interview: Johny Hendricks: [link]
RJW
Tue May 08 2012, 08:23PM
Registered Member #11515
Hendricks/Koscheck fight was the first ever between NCAA champs.
Chicken Wing Coach
Thu May 17 2012, 07:48PM

UFC 205-pound Champ Jon Jones vs. Dan Henderson confirmed for September 1st, 2012: [link]

Jones vs. Henderson slated for September 1 in Vegas: (Via Yardbarker.com): [link]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'King' Mo Lawal signs with Bellator, TNA Wrestling: (Via bloodyelbow): [link]

King Mo signs with Bellator... & TNA Wrestling: (Via bleacherreport.com): [link]
Chicken Wing Coach
Mon May 21 2012, 06:53PM

Ex-Oklahoma State mat star Daniel Cormier new Strikeforce Hwt. Grand Prix Champ: [link]

Daniel Cormier earns Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix title [link]

Josh Barnett vs. Daniel Cormier Results: [link]

Strikeforce Results Recap: Cormier & Melendez victorious in San Jose: [link]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After 15 rounds Gilbert Melendez wins lightweight title trilogy: [link]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UFC 148: Urijah Faber will meet Renan Barao for interim Bantamweight Title: [link]
Chicken Wing Coach
Wed May 23 2012, 09:45PM

Polar Express: Interview with Bellator heavyweight champion Cole Konrad: [link]

Why Dan Henderson will be the fan fovorite over Jon Jones: [link]

UFC Quick Quote: Brock Lesnar should 'definitely' be inducted into UFC Hall of Fame: [link]

Strikeforce 'Barnett vs. Cormier' results recap: What's next for Daniel Cormier & Gilbert Melendez?: [link]

Chicken Wing Coach
Thu May 24 2012, 07:19PM

Cain Velasquez believes Daniel Cormier deserves an immediate UFC Title shot: [link]
Chicken Wing Coach
Tue May 29 2012, 09:13PM

If Daniel Cormier Wins & stays at heavyweight, he gets Title Shot in the UFC: [link]

Strikeforce - Daniel Cormier: I am a Fighter [link]
Chicken Wing Coach
Tue Jun 05 2012, 08:41PM

The rise of Daniel Cormier in MMA: [link]

UFC 151: Henderson vs. Jones, Why Hendo has the advantage: [link]
Chicken Wing Coach
Thu Jun 07 2012, 08:24PM

'King' Mo Lawal learns to walk fine line between MMA & Wrestling: [link]

Report: Brock Lesnar will fight in the UFC again in 2012 & it won't be against Frank Mir: [link]

Rumor: Brock Lesnar will return to the UFC by end of 2012: [link]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Former U.S. Wrestling Olympian "STEVE MOCCO" Making Move to MMA: [link]
Chicken Wing Coach
Wed Jun 13 2012, 10:55PM

NCAA Champ Bubba Jenkins suggests Steroid Abuse could be related to spate of MMA injuries: [link]
Chicken Wing Coach
Fri Jun 15 2012, 01:52PM

Johny Hendricks next goal is to finish Martin Kampmann: [link]

Report: Johny Hendricks to face Martin Kampmann in number One Contender bout at UFC 254: [link]

With No Title Shot, 'Disappointed' Johny Hendricks looks on the bright side: [link]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*ANOTHER FORMER "WRESTLER" MAKES IT INTO THE UFC HALL OF FAME! Retrospective of Tito Ortiz's Career as he Prepares for his Final UFC Fight, Introduction into the UFC HOF: [link]
Chicken Wing Coach
Mon Jun 18 2012, 07:13PM

Bellator inks former Olympic hopeful Shawn Bunch: [link]
Go to page: Go to page  1 2 3 4 [5] 6 ... 11 12 13          << Previous thread | Next thread >>

Jump:     Back to top

Moderators: Mike Atlas, CoachMiller, The Rankings Team, JMode, Shvarts, eoghanjames, Jim Maher, plm_77, jubele135, Hill Billy, psch, tourneygeek, NE_07, Sam Shames, Chicken Wing Coach, New England Rankings, matchamp99, Nuge
Click to see our RSS feeds available -->
Recent Wrestling Boxscores
see all | submit | rss

02/09/2017----------
Barnstable-40
Plymouth North-15
02/08/2017----------
Weymouth-17
Walpole-52
02/08/2017----------
North Attleboro-51
Oliver Ames-12
Newest Posts
Re: Little Help
I would happily donate to make this a thing t...
Posted by MrBlastdoubles
Apr 27 17 : 15:04

Steve, if this becomes an off-season folkstyl...
Posted by FlipU4Real
Apr 27 17 : 13:26

Steve, I was at a tournament with my son down...
Posted by s.shore
Apr 27 17 : 13:04

Wrestling Hall of Fame at Gillette Stadium is THIS Saturday 4/29 - Get yout tickets TODAY!!!
We are only 2 days away from our 2017 Massach...
Posted by matchamp99
Apr 27 17 : 12:11

SteveI lost my wife to cancer 3/17/2017. I wo...
Posted by pmoricone
Apr 27 17 : 11:54

Little Help
Coaches/Referees/Parents/Wrestlers,Over the p...
Posted by Steve Sentes
Apr 27 17 : 10:36

UWW WTT and Jr Nationals
good luck to the MA and New England guys comp...
Posted by coachskp
Apr 27 17 : 10:30

Support MassWrestling. Click a link!