most ever online: 319
Members: 9314
Newest: bluebrahma
Support MassWrestling - Click a link!
Wrestling Singlets

Wrestling Shoes

Forums
MassWrestling.com :: Forums :: Non Wrestling Competition

NCAA D-I Nat'l. Wrestling Tourn. Forges New MMA Talent  Go to page  [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Chicken Wing Coach
Thu May 06 2010, 11:20PM

"The Real March Madness" ! Every March, NCAA Division I Wrestlers gather for the biggest event of the year: The National Championship Tournament. It serves as the NEW BREEDING GROUND for many of MMA's Stars.

The NCAA Division I Tournament is the type of talent-meets-pressure venue that has led many of its participants to reach the Upper Echelon of MMA. 332 athletes vie for 80 podium spots. Division I wrestlers find success in MMA & its championship event is a strong litmus test of future MMA success.

"The NCAA Tournament is a GRUELING three-day, high-pressure event," says Randy Couture, three-time All-American for Oklahoma State. "Both team & individual results hinge on every match."

"The stadium is totally packed. It's amazing to see guys like DAN GABLE & other wrestlers who are featured in magazines right there on the mat." says Matt Hughes, two-time All-American for Eastern Illinois.

Once the action starts, 20 wrestlers begin scrapping as the scoreboards tally takedowns, escapes, & back points. At mat side: cauliflower ears are drained, split eyebrows are butterflied, & white athletic tape holds knees together.

"It's a GRIND, & only the Tough will make it through this Tournament," says Josh Koscheck, NCAA Champion & four-time All-American for Edinboro University. "You can have so many ups & downs with this Tournament. It is so difficult because you have the best wrestlers in the Nation gunning for the biggest & hardest prize in NCAA sports."

"It really is a science to be able to compete at the top level for the NCAA Tournament," says Gray Maynard, three-time All-American for Michigan State. "IT'S ALL ABOUT WORK ETHIC, MENTAL TOUGHNESS, FOCUS, & PREPARATION."

The Division I National Finals are televised on ESPN & have become the newest stage for many of MMA's rising stars!

"I'm used to competing in front of fans at the highest level of a sport," says Phil Davis, recent UFC signee & NCAA Champion in 2008 for Penn State. "I don't even hear the crowd anymore in MMA."

Johny Hendricks, undefeated UFC talent & former two-time NCAA Champion from Oklahoma State, was perhaps last decade's most reviled & villainous National Finalist. Today, you won't find many wrestling fans willing to doubt his ascension in MMA.

The list of those who have missed out on a championship but have distinguished themselves as All-Americans is much longer: Randy Couture, Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal, Matt Hughes, Aaron Simpson, Ryan Bader, Gray Maynard, & dozens more fighters in the UFC, WEC, & Strikeforce.

"Everybody gears up for this tourny. It's like the Super Bowl," says Rashad Evans, two-time qualifier for Michigan State. "It's all about how you compete that one day. The UFC is the same proving ground. The fighters you meet in the UFC fight like it's the Super Bowl." The tournament creates focused, jacked-up competitors. Grapplers learn to deal with the rampant brutality of their bodies.

"The NCAA Tournament helped me for MMA because it reminded me of a lot of different things," says Urijah Faber, two-time NCAA qualifier for UC Davis. "The difference between a guy who is considered the very best & the guy that isn't is very minute & it's motivating to know you can be so close & so celebrated & just a lot of times it comes down to having a great day & believing in yourself.

*While MMA is a different beast, the NCAA Wrestling Tournament prepares its graduates on a stage that few others have the chance to be on.

"I learned many valuable lessons competing for Okie State--how to train hard & win, but more importantly, how to put losing in proper perspeactive," says Randy Couture. "I lost in the NCAA finals two times. I believe that lesson made me a better athlete & certainly a better person as I transitioned to becoming an MMA athlete."

*NOTE: This article was EXCERPTED from the March issue of "Fight Magazine." It can be read in its entirety here but does not include the mag's seven wrestling photos: [link] *I just felt it was appropriate to share with all those out there in our Wrestling & MMA community.
Chicken Wing Coach
Tue May 11 2010, 12:17AM

"FROM MATS TO CAGES": The athletic prowess, work ethic, & mental toughness acquired through countless years on sweat-drenched wrestling mats have helped to shape some of the MMA's most promising athletes. Here are three who are poised for success.

*TYRON WOODLEY, Welterweight, Record: 5-0
The 27-year-old Strikeforce welterweight was a two-time All-American at the University of Missouri. Since making the transition to MMA, Woodley has compiled an unblemished record, with all five of his victories coming via submission.

*PHIL DAVIS, Light Heavyweight, Record: 5-0
Davis captured an NCAA Championship in 2008 before making the jump to MMA. Since that time, the 25-year-old has amassed a perfect record of 5-0 while training under the wings of Lloyd Irvin, Brandon Vera, & Team Black House.

*BEN ASKREN, Welterweight, Record: 3-0
A two-time NCAA Wrestling Champion out of the University of Missouri, this 25-year-old welterweight prospect has put together an undefeated record of 3-0, with all of his victories coming in the first round.
T-2
Tue May 11 2010, 04:17PM
Registered Member #9177
Mr. Wonderful has the brightest future in my opinion out of those three. Id have to say King Mo is the best recent convert though.
Chicken Wing Coach
Tue May 11 2010, 09:35PM

"WORLD-CLASS SKILLS": A phrase that is overused by commentators & fans when describing excellent wrestlers is "WORLD-CLASS." In wrestling circles, World-Class means wrestlers who have earned the right to be on the NATIONAL Team & have participated in the World Championships or Olympics! World-Class is reserved for seven wrestlers in both Freestyle (FS) & Greco Roman (GR) wrestling each year. These spots are earned by winning the World Team Trials or Olympic Team Trials.

*[The current American MMA Fighters who are "World-Class" Wrestlers true to the definition are]:
*Randy Couture (GR 4x World Team member)
*Dan Henderson (GR 2x Olympian; 2x World Team member)
*Matt Lindland (GR 2000 Olympic Silver Medalist; 4x World Team member, including 2001 Silver Medalist)
*Joe Warren (GR 2006 World Champion; 2005 World Team member)
*Ben Askren (FS 2008 Olympian)
*Mark Coleman (FS 1992 Olympian; 1991 World Silver Medalist)
*Daniel Cormier (FS 2004 & 2008 Olympian; 4x World Team member, including 2007 Bronze Medalist)
*Muhammed Lawal (FS 2005 World Team member)

*[There are former fighters who were "World-Class" Wrestlers, such as Mark Schultz, Kevin Jackson, Mark Kerr, Dan Severn, Heath Sims, & Royce Alger].

*[National Champions & All-Americans]:
All-American (AA) is associated with a wrestler who finishes in the top eight of his respective Collegiate National Championships. There are D-1, D-2, D-3, NAIA, & JUCO National Championships. Achieving All-American status or even a National Championship (NC) does not garner the designation of "World-Class."

*Some active MMA athletes who are Collegiate National Champions or All-Americans include:
*[Division I]:
*Matt Hughes (2x AA)
*Josh Koscheck (4x AA & NC)
*Cain Velasquez (2x AA & JUCO NC)
*Chael Sonnen (AA)
*Brock Lesnar (D-I 2x AA & NC & JUCO NC)
*Ryan Bader (2x AA)
*Mark Munoz (2x AA & NC)
*Johny Hendricks (4x AA & 2x NC)
*Jake Rosholt (4x AA & 3x NC)
*Gray Maynard (3x AA)
*C.B. Dollaway (AA)
*Aaron Simpson (2x AA)
*Tyron Woodley (2x AA)
*Chad Mendes (2x AA)
*Phil Davis (4x AA & NC)
*Michael Chandler (AA)

*[Other Divisions]:
*Rashad Evans (JUCO NC)
*Shane Carwin (D-2 NC)
*Jon Jones (JUCO NC)
*Matt Hamill (D-3 2x NC)
*Bobby Lashley (NAIA 3x NC)
*Anthony Johnson (JUCO NC)
beane1255
Fri May 14 2010, 11:44AM
Registered Member #387
Kenny Cole Conrad is fighting now.
T-2
Fri May 14 2010, 06:00PM
Registered Member #9177
beane1255 wrote ...

and gassing by 4 mins...
CoachB
Sat May 15 2010, 05:10PM
Registered Member #303
beane1255 wrote ...

Lee-
When I took you guys out to Michigan for National Duals, Chael Sonnen was one of the Oregon coaches.

Phil Davis may have been on the PA team we wrestled. Will try to find the info.
Chicken Wing Coach
Sun May 23 2010, 06:50PM

Former D-1 (AA) & UFC/MMA Fighter Chael Sonnen speaks on Wrestling. Chael says a big part of Wrestling that helps him in Fighting is his mentality & transitioning from wrestling to MMA involves both sports being combative. [link]
T-2
Sun May 23 2010, 07:43PM
Registered Member #9177
chael sonnen's wrestling is great, but he is a class A d-bag.
Chicken Wing Coach
Fri Sep 17 2010, 07:26PM

2x NCAA wrestling champ Cole Konrad wins bout, qualifies for Bellator Hvy. Wt. finals: [link]

Konrad dominates Grabowski in Bellator heavyweight tournament: [link]

USA Today (MMA Fighting Stances). Grove, Konrad reach Bellator heavyweight final: [link]

Chicken Wing Coach
Fri Sep 17 2010, 10:21PM

2x NCAA champ, rising MMA star Ben Askren submits to interview with InterMat: [link]

Two-time NCAA champion & 2008 Olympian Ben Askren is one of the most colorful personalities in wrestling, & he has taken the MMA world by storm, compiling a perfect 6-0 record in under two years. He defeated Ryan Thomas & Dan Hornbuckle to win Bellator's welterweight tournament, & is facing Lyman Good next month for the "Welterweight Championship." One-on-One with Ben Askren: [link]

Ben "Funky" Askren's Bellator profile: [link]

Ben Askren's BIO/Profile via Zinkin: [link]
Chicken Wing Coach
Mon Sep 20 2010, 08:45PM

InterMat profiles Gray Maynard, former Michigan State matman, now finding success in UFC: [link]

Gray Maynard focused on reaching the top: [link]
Chicken Wing Coach
Mon Sep 20 2010, 10:25PM

2010 NCAA finalist Lance Palmer signs with MMA Incorporated. 4x NCAA All-American & 2010 NCAA Division I finalist for Ohio State has signed with MMA Inc. to manage his mixed martial arts career & will move to Sacramento, Calif., to begin his MMA training with Urijah Faber's Team Alpha Male. *Palmer is also one of the subjects of a new amateur wrestling documentary, "Pinned." [link]

Lance Palmer joins Faber's camp & MMA Inc. [link]

"Pinned" is an eye-opening TRUE story of two wrestlers willing to do anything to become champions. [link]
Chicken Wing Coach
Wed Sep 22 2010, 08:44PM

2x NCAA National champ & 4x All-American wrestler Johny Hendricks from Oklahoma State University remains undefeated (9-0) in his MMA career. [link]

SHERDOG Performance Record: [link]
Chicken Wing Coach
Fri Sep 24 2010, 12:39AM

Lance Palmer named volunteer assistant coach at Virginia Tech. 4x NCAA All-American to join program immediately. [link]
Chicken Wing Coach
Fri Sep 24 2010, 01:12AM

2008 NCAA Division I Wrestling Champ & 4x All-American Phil Davis from PennState is another example of a top collegiate wrestler who's finding success in mixed martial arts. InterMat profiles Phil Davis, 2008 NCAA Champ, proving to be more than just hype in MMA: [link]

"Rising Star": [link]
psch
Fri Sep 24 2010, 09:54AM

Is Lance Palmer giving up on MMA or just switching camps? It would be a tough commute from Blacksburg to Sacremento for training every day.
Chicken Wing Coach
Sat Sep 25 2010, 12:07AM

To "psch": Sorry, I don't really know the exact details of Lance Palmer's MMA status vs. his latest commitment towards Virginia Tech. His conflicting article reports between signing on with MMA Incorporated & Team Alpha male (according to MMA Weekly.com) & his current announcement to VT is confusing. Perhaps he plans on doing both if it is allowed or feasible? Maybe he's taking a break from MMA while he is engaged during the Wrestling season? Blacksburg to Sacramento is surely a long stretch & I wonder how it's going to work too. I guess we'll have to wait & see what transpires.
Chicken Wing Coach
Mon Sep 27 2010, 09:58PM

Former Arizona State All-American wrestlers Bader, Dollaway win at UFC 119. UFC was heaven for Sun Devil wrestlers. Former ASU NCAA Division I All-American matmen Ryan "Darth" Bader & CB Dollaway came out winners at the Ultimate Fighting Championships at Conseco Fieldhouse in indianapolis. [link]
Chicken Wing Coach
Thu Sep 30 2010, 11:13PM

Joe Warren (Bellator Fighting Championships). Where Fighters become Warriors & Warriors become Legends. Warren was a 3x World champion Greco-Roman wrestler. He has trained with the U.S. Olympic Team & taken home gold medals at the Pan-Am Games, the 2006 FILA Wrestling World Championships & the 2007 Wrestling World Cup. Before that, he was an All-American wrestler at the University of Michigan. Bellator profile/Bio: [link]
Chicken Wing Coach
Fri Oct 01 2010, 12:14AM

2003 NCAA Div. I Champ & 4x All-American wrestler Eric Larkin wrapped up his 3rd. straight MMA victory in as many tries at Bellator 28 in New Orleans. Eric Larkin Impresses: [link]

The former Arizona State Sun Devil was able to demonstrate his WRESTLING prowess, but wasn't forced to rely on it to win the fight: [link]

Bellator signs2003 NCAA wrestling Champ Eric Larkin: [link]

Bellator must have needed another rock star wrestler after snatching up superstars Ben Askren & Joe Warren, so they signed rising star Eric Larkin. Larkin, a 4x All-American, 4x Pac 10 champ & 3x National USA Wrestling Team Member, wrestled for ASU & also worked there as an assistant wrestling coach for 4 years. [link]

Larkin also won the prestigious Dan Hodge Trophy, awarded by WIN (Wrestling Insider Newsmagazine) to the year's best collegiate wrestler as well as the 2003 NCAA Outstanding Wrestler honors.

Chicken Wing Coach
Mon Oct 04 2010, 09:16PM

2x NCAA Div. I All-American & 2009 Heavyweight Champion Mark Ellis signs MMA deal with Zinkin, will train at AKA (American Kickboxing Academy). At AKA, Ellis will be joining fellow former NCAA All-American wrestlers Daniel Cormier & Cain Velasquez. [link]

University of Missouri (official BIO/Profile for Mark Ellis): [link]

Mark Ellis: The Newest Member of the AKA Stable / MMA DIEHARDS. "The Wrestlers are Coming."
= American Kickboxing Academy's Daniel Cormier loves to make that declaration, & now the AKA camp has laid claim to another Wrestling stud headed into the world of mixed martial arts. Numerous wrestlers have opted to make the move to MMA rather than pursue an Olympic medal. Mark Ellis, the 2009 NCAA Champion out of the University of Missouri, is the latest to make the move. The NCAA Champion tends to agree with Cormier when it comes to this being the time of the wrestler in MMA. "(Wrestlers) are doing really well," Ellis said. "I don't know if it's easier to pick up the other parts of the MMA game, but it just seems like the Wrestlers are DOMINATING the sport in a lot of different aspects." Ellis will work to improve his game in anticipation of his debut while also lending a hand to help teammate Cain Velasquez prepare for his upcoming UFC heavyweight title fight against Brock Lesnar. [link]

MMA Diehards has a profile of 2009 NCAA wrestling champ Mark Ellis who has joined AKA to train... [link]
Chicken Wing Coach
Mon Oct 04 2010, 10:19PM

2x NCAA All-American Cain Velasquez attended Iowa Central Community College, becoming a JUCO Wrestling National Champion. Cain then exceled at Arizona State University where he earned the honors of (2x NCAA AA), 2x PAC-10 Heavyweight Champion & was the 2005 PAC-10 Wrestler of the year. Zinkin Athlete Profile: [link]

American Kickboxing Academy (Official website): [link]

Zinkin Entertainment Company (Official Website) List of Zinkin Athletes: [link]

AKA Fighters - Cain Velasquez (Promo Video): [link]

Cain Velasquez "TAGS": [link]
Chicken Wing Coach
Wed Oct 06 2010, 10:31PM

Daniel Cormier: The former Olympic wrestler had a busy four weeks, winning three times in less than 30 days. Cormier claimed the XMMA Heavyweight Title with a TKO victory over Lucas Browne on July 31st. He won the King of the Cage Heavyweight Title by securing a rear naked choke on Tony Johnson on August 13th. Eight days later, Cormier submitted Jason Riley via strikes at Strikeforce: Houston. Cormier (5-0) has finished his last four opponents in the first round.

Daniel Cormier's Athlete BIO/Profile: [link]
rickcian
Thu Oct 07 2010, 06:38AM
Registered Member #10481
This thread is filled with great stuff. People around the world have realized that wrestling is by far the greatest base to build other fighting skills around. This statement doesn't even include the intangilbles that wrestling provides a mixed martial artist or fighter.
Go to page: Go to page  [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9          << Previous thread | Next thread >>

Jump:     Back to top

Moderators: Mike Atlas, CoachMiller, The Rankings Team, JMode, Shvarts, eoghanjames, Jim Maher, plm_77, jubele135, Hill Billy, psch, tourneygeek, NE_07, Chicken Wing Coach, New England Rankings

Click to see our RSS feeds available -->
Recent Wrestling Boxscores
see all | submit | rss

02/18/2014----------
Durfee-39
Somerset Berkley-27
02/12/2014----------
Chelmsford-51
Lowell-22
02/12/2014----------
Minuteman Tech-4
Malden Catholic-69
Newest Posts
Re: 3x NCAA Champ LOGAN STIEBER Clinic @ S.T.C.C./Nieves Wrestling - 8/2/2014
10 Days away to meet & train with 3x NCAA...
Posted by Chicken Wing Coach
Jul 23 14 : 23:21

Re: 2014 Ben Askren Camp @ Primed4Gold - Aug 9 & 10th, 2014
Here's the Itinerary time schedule for this C...
Jul 23 14 : 23:12

Re: Gerorge Bossi (Lowell) Tournament
Well its been a week, I'll be the next to ask...
Posted by AHS611
Jul 23 14 : 22:35

Re: 'FOXCATCHER' (new movie about Olympic Champs DAVE & MARK SCHULTZ)
Foxcatcher to make North American debut at To...
Jul 23 14 : 22:21

Re: 1000 ISLAND DUALS - JUNIOR HIGH & HIGH SCHOOL TEAMS - OPEN SPOTS
Junior High Team 165 & High Team 115 spot...
Posted by NortheastEliteWrestling
Jul 23 14 : 14:41

Re: Mass at Fargo 2014
New England Results: Junior - 1001st Place - ...
Posted by Medic5392
Jul 23 14 : 05:26

MRWC Needs 63 & 92 for Cape Cod Duals
Our 63lber just pulled out and our 92 cannot ...
Posted by CoachDarl
Jul 22 14 : 12:18

Support MassWrestling. Click a link!