Newest: Matthew Allen
Support MassWrestling. Click a link!

Forums
MassWrestling.com :: Forums :: General Discussion

How do you get better?  Go to page  [1] 2
Mike Atlas
Tue Feb 12 2008, 03:20PM

Website
Someone emailed me asking me for advice for their son could get better at wrestling. Here's a list I came up with.

Just some thoughts on getting better, from my own experience (I barely qualified for states freshman year, the next season I was 2nd at all states):

1) He has to want it himself. (Your son should have emailed me, not you...)
2) He should write down his goals for next season. Have some be reasonable and some big dreams.
3) Next he should write down how he will achieve these goals. Lifting schedule? Off season clubs/tournaments/camps? Diet? Give up video games? Run XC in the fall? Be able to do 20 pullups?
4) Put a copy of these goals in the mirror. In the bathroom. On the fridge. On the night stand. In his locker.
5) Watch the best wrestlers at a tournament. Don't sleep in the stands. Watch how they move. Videotape how they move. Study the videotapes. Practice moving like they do.
6) Additionally, train with the best. You can't get better unless you are getting beat by someone better. I don't mean try to find an Olympian, but find someone who is at the next level and train with them till he can beat them or be on par, and then go harder.
7) Buy books on wrestling. Buy books on sports psychology. Study them. Learn from them.
8 ) Visualize hitting moves in your head when you're bored in school. Imagine how the opponent is supposed to feel and resist this move as you go to hit it.
9) Learn to never doubt yourself. Always think positive. It takes a lot of practice to banish even the slightest negative thoughts. Most people never even realize they are setting themselves up for failure just by thinking negatively.
10) Don't look at brackets at a tournament, until it's in your hands at the end. Just wrestle every opponent as if is he is the toughest competition you've met yet. Don't psyche yourself out by looking at the brackets!

Anyone have some additional advice?

gnussbaum
Tue Feb 12 2008, 04:01PM
Registered Member #824
I'd like to add to #6 - try not to pair up with your buddy in practice all of the time. You'll get stale because you know how he/she wrestles and, in some cases, you'll both be talking and screwing around and not getting anything accomplished.
2 good 4 u
Tue Feb 12 2008, 04:20PM
Registered Member #979
106inarow wrote ...

I'd like to add to #6 - try not to pair up with your buddy in practice all of the time. You'll get stale because you know how he/she wrestles and, in some cases, you'll both be talking and screwing around and not getting anything accomplished.

In other words, the way I like to put it, find someone you may dislike or fighting over a weight class for, or even a weight class above. But yes i completely agree, a friend solves nothing
[email protected]
Tue Feb 12 2008, 04:25PM
Registered Member #132
#1 from Mike is key. many parents want it more than their kid.
Go to a great camp for more than a week.
Actually train. Going to wrestling tournaments all over the country does not make you better. A good training regiment does. You will get more out of joining a club with great instructors than driving to NJ and PA every week. The reward for serious training is the big out of area tournament.
You have to get stronger. If you cant do 20 pullups with palm facing out, all the way up and all the way down you are not wrestling strong.
Most kid do not properly strength train for the sport.
Of course there are many more things to do but follow the advice given so far and you will improve more than most.

Dont get hung up on how much you weigh or what weight you can go down to.

Learn how to drill - properly

Also #10 - dont look at the brackets is huge. Also do be happy to " make the finals"
Siamese Mike
Tue Feb 12 2008, 05:23PM
Registered Member #3486
Offseason wrestling Period.

i'd say joining a quality club is key. Go to that off season club as much as you can, and compete out of state as much as you can. The club you go to should make all wrestlers drill moves. Having open mats for 2hours 3 times a week doesn't constitute a good club... A few i can think of would be Wadsworth, Doughboy, Kryptonite .

Now more than ever there are so many things one can do in the off season so budget your money accordingly. What can you get the most out of at the lowest price? No offense to some of the prestigous tournies like Fargo. But to go to Fargo your going to spend over $1,000.00 . for that price you may be able to go on 3 smaller trips such as a 1,000 island duals or a trip down to PA or NJ and still have enough $ to see a couple of clinicians . Junior Nationals is a great tournie but if your not a 2 time NE champ, your better off going somewhere else. I think you could stretch the dollar a lot longer doing twice as many other things.
Mike Atlas
Tue Feb 12 2008, 06:17PM

Website
Siamese: MA USA Wrestling is working to make Fargo much more affordable with every offseason. Don't think it isn't out of reach even for non-NE champions.
jmachinder
Tue Feb 12 2008, 06:43PM
Registered Member #504
I think there's a difference between not letting yourself get psyched out by looking at the brackets and not looking at them at all. If, say, you've just advanced to the next round I see no problem with looking at the brackets to see who you'll be facing next or, even better, then going over the the mat and watching a match where the winner will face you.

I interviewed Cal Fullerton's Ian Murphy after he won an early season tourney this season and he felt his match in the finals was close because he did a poor job of watching the competition earlier in the tourney.
[email protected]
Tue Feb 12 2008, 07:15PM
Registered Member #132
I always tell kids one match at a time. It drives me crazy in the morning to hear kids talk about who they will meet in the finals.

I have mentioned this before but when I was making plans to take my son to Fargo I was talking Ken Chertow about it. he said to me I should really pick my battles and focus closer tournaments like MAWA's and a few others. He said the money spent to go to Fargo could equal 4 weeks at summer camp.
He also said 4 weeks at camp would be equal to another season of wrestling. I took his advice and feel it has paid huge dividends. Other than the national duals 3 to 4 times I dont think Phil wrestled in another off season tournament in HS. but he did have a serious off season training schedule.

I think fargo is awesome and can be worth the trip if the effort is put in to prepare.
coachm
Tue Feb 12 2008, 07:23PM
Registered Member #47
Seek out good competition and good coaching, maintain a weight that allows you to get stronger as you peak not weaker, set and write down "measurable goals" and like Mike said put them everywhere, so you see them when you get up in the am, go to sleep at night, in your gym locker, etc. I visit many of the kids that I've coached over the years and they still have many of the quotes posted on their walls (given to them at practice).

Avoid negatives, always push positively.....I remember a famous two fumble game for Emmitt Smith years ago, the RB coach was fired immediately following the game for being responsible.....from Jimmy Johnson's book it went something like this. Emmitt hadn't fumbled in a full season and then some, but put the ball on the ground twice, right before he took the field after the first fumble, the RB coach said "Don't put the ball on the ground again", Jimmy felt he should have said "Protect the Ball", now for the uninformed that statement is almost the same, to those who compete in athletics there is a world of difference. For those that compete at the highest level one of those statements sounds extremely foul, the other standard.

Regarding number 7, not a big fan on the books regarding wrestling I think money can be better spent on video, books on positive thinking are fine, one of the best I can recommend is "Wrestle the Perfect Match" by Beasley Hendrix, if you haven't read it do so, over and over, positive visualization is a huge part of any winning gameplan.

Lastly schedule downtime in the offseason, set peaks and valleys and take complete weeks off in order to stay fresh. Most importantly "Do something".

I like looking at the brackets as it can help you to scout someone and set strategy in advance of when you meet.
Coach Quinn
Tue Feb 12 2008, 07:46PM
Registered Member #104
Website
Make sure you're having fun.
gnussbaum
Tue Feb 12 2008, 08:08PM
Registered Member #824
Also, ask a lot of questions - first to your coach(es) and then to a teammate/peer who you know will be honest with you. Ask them what they think you need to work on from seeing you over the season. Take notes if you need to and drill, drill and drill again!
Grand Larceny
Tue Feb 12 2008, 08:24PM
Registered Member #7081
Condition. If you can still wrestle strong in the third when your opponent is gassed you really have an upperhand. Alot of matches are won in the third by whoever has more stamina.
Dave C.
Sun Feb 24 2008, 11:25AM
Registered Member #7421
that is a great list. off season strength training and conditioning to enhance performance is essential to be competitive. If anyone is looking for quality strength and conditioning programs, I am a coach at Excel Sport and Fitness in Waltham, MA. I am a former wrestler and the owner is also a former wrestler from New York. Let me know if I can help anyone out. good luck guys.

Dave Coffin
Headhunter1492
Sun Feb 24 2008, 06:43PM
Registered Member #7082
"no excuses" by kyle maynard is a fantastic book
Tcarr
Thu May 08 2008, 03:53PM
Registered Member #7727
I would disagree with number 1. Not entirely, but it is possible for a parent to inspire and motivate their child to be the best at what they do.
The story of Dan Gables mom asking about the dust forming on his weights is a good example of a parent helping. Many people credit their success to the encouragement and motivation of a parent.
Parents can also be overbearing and burn a kid out. More often than not we see parents being overbearing but if a kid has decided to wrestle there is nothing wrong with a parent encouraging them to be the best. As long as the parent knows the line between being a positive and trying to live through your kids.

The most important thing after pure athletic ability is to surround yourself with positive influences and people who will motivate you to be your best. Coaches that are dedicated to the athlete and workout partners who expect to push you as hard as you push them.

Carrwrestling.com
The Rock
Thu May 08 2008, 10:04PM
Registered Member #6128
Website
You should be in better shape than every opponent you wrestle. That comes from practice. You can do as much offseason as you want, if you aren't in shape in-season, it's useless. Practice like there's no tomorrow. Lose those extra pounds because in the end it's worth it. You don't want to blow a state championship just because you were lazy and out of shape or didn't have the discipline to cut weight. Do the right things and everything will work itself out.
Tcarr
Thu May 08 2008, 11:49PM
Registered Member #7727
Position, is key. If you watch the best they are the ones that maintain position best.
maine/mass wrestler
Thu Jun 12 2008, 09:26AM
Registered Member #7619
go out on the mat, thinking that you can beat your opponent everytime. remind yourself of all the running and drills you had to do to get there.
Rollie Peterkin
Tue Aug 26 2008, 09:04PM
Registered Member #7895
I think it all boils down to #1. If you don't have this, there is nothing else that can replace it. All else springs from this one quality. As a parent, all you can do it provide the best opportunities and support for your wrestler.

Take him to off season tournaments! Bring him to the best practice rooms/clubs in the state in order to wrestle with the best (#6).

Throw away the sports psychology and visualization, and go wrestle.
PhilR
Wed Aug 27 2008, 09:08AM
Registered Member #5642
I have to go with Rollie on this one. If #1 is not there, the rest is meaningless! Some of the best kids I've ever coached came from little or no money, had little or no opportunity to get to camps or clubs or to a lot of off season workouts, but they found a way to make things happen because THEY wanted it. They would "haunt" their parents, coaches, friends, whatever it took to get on the mat and get to the tournaments, I even remeber a few doing "backyard" workouts (lots of grass stains on clothes).

I believe this is true not only with wrestling, but with any sport, in fact with anything in life. As a parent of grown children I have seen it first hand. You can guide, but you can't push. They will make their own choices. If they want it, they will do whatever it takes. All the rest falls into place.

Rollie, tell your dad I said hi.

Phil
Chicken Wing Coach
Thu Nov 20 2008, 12:28AM

The OFF-SEASON is the key. This is when one has the chance to Train, Drill, & perfect one's Technique. One can also improve upon weaknesses & change bad habits.

joefen
Thu Nov 20 2008, 08:35AM
Registered Member #5920
rule one let the kid just be a kid, park your ego parents .try other sports in off season. youth age should take summer off. junior high maybe some extra. high school. different story . If wrestling is his sport . travel around .get different coaches . see different wrestlers. great parent do make great wrestlers . the person wrestling has to want it .having raised four children i have seen far too many parent hell bent on there four year old is the greatest athlete ever to lace up . Then the kid gets out of high school away from th parent is out of sports in a flash . Be there win or lose. thing will work out on there on .My best athlete was 12 when she fell on a skiing trip and ended up in aa comma for 6 months. so you can never know
MrStub
Wed Dec 03 2008, 02:12AM
Registered Member #8136
This suggestion goes along with not getting caught up in brackets: tell your son that monitoring rankings and discussions about himself and other wrestlers (this site included) will not do him any good and will probably deteriorate his attitude. Either it will go to his head if he becomes exceptional or it will discourage him if he struggles in his path. Much of this type of communication is useless for individual development. An athlete need only to look to himself to prove his or her worth. Some people have way too much time on their hands and need to realize that these are high school athletes. Not to say that most of the threads here are bad (this thread is great), but time spent researching seedings, rankings of your competitors, your rankings, and general ranting could be spent doing all of the things listed earlier.
speedkills
Fri Jan 16 2009, 06:02PM
Registered Member #8281
PhilR- so true!
HeAdLiKeAhOlE
Wed Jan 21 2009, 09:02PM
Registered Member #8097
[quote]
Offseason wrestling Period.

i'd say joining a quality club is key. Go to that off season club as much as you can, and compete out of state as much as you can. The club you go to should make all wrestlers drill moves. Having open mats for 2hours 3 times a week doesn't constitute a good club... A few i can think of would be Wadsworth, Doughboy, Kryptonite .

Now more than ever there are so many things one can do in the off season so budget your money accordingly. What can you get the most out of at the lowest price? No offense to some of the prestigous tournies like Fargo. But to go to Fargo your going to spend over $1,000.00 . for that price you may be able to go on 3 smaller trips such as a 1,000 island duals or a trip down to PA or NJ and still have enough $ to see a couple of clinicians . Junior Nationals is a great tournie but if your not a 2 time NE champ, your better off going somewhere else. I think you could stretch the dollar a lot longer doing twice as many other things.
[/quote1232593

some good camps in the springfield area are new england all stars and the springfield college camp.
Go to page: Go to page  [1] 2          << Previous thread | Next thread >>

Jump:     Back to top

Moderators: Mike Atlas, CoachMiller, The Rankings Team, JMode, Shvarts, eoghanjames, Jim Maher, plm_77, jubele135, Hill Billy, psch, tourneygeek, NE_07, Sam Shames, Chicken Wing Coach, New England Rankings, matchamp99, Nuge
Click to see our RSS feeds available -->
Recent Wrestling Boxscores
see all | submit | rss

02/09/2017----------
Barnstable-40
Plymouth North-15
02/08/2017----------
Weymouth-17
Walpole-52
02/08/2017----------
North Attleboro-51
Oliver Ames-12
Newest Posts
Re: Spartan HS & K-8 Duals May 6, 2017
bump
Posted by warp57
Mar 28 17 : 15:46

Re: NHSCA FloArena
Nice article at The Open Mat on the biggest u...
Posted by Medic5392
Mar 28 17 : 13:51

Re: NEW ENGLAND COACHES CLINIC - April 29, 2017
Bump
Posted by pzacchilli
Mar 28 17 : 08:02

2017 Ohio Tournament of Champions - April 22
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE------------------------...
Posted by OhioTofC
Mar 27 17 : 17:04

Does BGS brawls have an open division?
Does anybody know? When I went when I was in ...
Posted by MrBlastdoubles
Mar 27 17 : 16:30

Re: New England results
FiveTenthsNelson wrote ...WestSide87 wrote .....
Posted by OACoach
Mar 27 17 : 13:50

Re: New England results
WestSide87 wrote ...being able to qualify mul...
Posted by FiveTenthsNelson
Mar 27 17 : 11:36

Support MassWrestling. Click a link!