Newest: Matthew Allen
Support MassWrestling. Click a link!

Forums
MassWrestling.com :: Forums :: Urgent Announcements

MIAA Hydration Waiver Granted 
sjp
Thu Oct 05 2006, 03:24PM
Registered Member #1421
This morning the MIAA board of directors met and agreed to grant a waiver postponing hydration testing in MA until the 2007/2008 season.

MIAA weight certification will continue as years past. All wrestlers will need to take the form to a doctor and have the doctor sign off on a weight class.

AD's and coaches: Hydration testing will be implemented next season, so we need to begin the process now of receiving the proper education. Although some coaches may be against the testing, it is a national rule that will be enforced during the 07/08 season.

10/10 Duxbury will be the first education site, so south shore coaches are advised to attend the clinic. Attendance will be taken at the clinics.

If you have questions or comments on the future testing please bring them to the clinics.
dnowa
Tue Oct 10 2006, 07:04AM
Registered Member #4263
not sure how a single state's athletic association assumes the power to over-rule a NFHS requirement that was announced over a year ago for implementation this year. you can be assured that there will be some rumblings from the other NE states that will be adhering to the new rule, as the perception of an advantage to Mass wrestlers at New Englands will be difficult to overcome, especially when the ongoing belief is that Mass has been slow to follow prior NFHS rules, such as the prohibition of morning "coaches" weigh-ins with a weight allowance for that night's match (or Friday night weigh-ins for a Saturday tourney).
cradleman1952
Tue Oct 10 2006, 07:18AM
Registered Member #278
Listen to me......Take a look at what and how the other states are doing the process and it is easy to see that Mass. has chewed and screwed themselves through the years. First off Mass. has the TOUGHEST system in place already compared to any other New England State. Secondly if it isn't broke, why fix it. Thirdly by postponing for a year this allows the opportunity for education to occur and therefore having a chance for people to understand. And do not, I repeat , do not tell me how tough the other New England States are because some of them allow night before weigh-ins. If you want to eliminate weight sucking to the extreme , hold the coaches and schools accountable for their kids who drop 20-30 pounds between seasons. I can state this without any second thoughts when I show up to the season ending tournaments (including NE) there is no question who is doing major sucking. You can be your own judge.
Jim Maher
Tue Oct 10 2006, 10:00AM

Maybe the NE's will toss Mass out?
cradleman1952
Tue Oct 10 2006, 10:35AM
Registered Member #278
Doubt it Jim. They like competing with us and the other states rules are not that stringent. We were going to go to regional sites for testing. All of what I have heard about what the other states are doing or are going to do is home based. They will do it at their own schools and by their own people. The honor system works , for those kids and coaches who are honorable. We can only promote ethics , but we can't legislate it. take a look at many of our politicians and other leaders. What we need to do is allow consequences to happen and call out the coaches and schools who allow their kids to skirt the rules of certification.
sjp
Tue Oct 10 2006, 12:34PM
Registered Member #1421
DNOWA, maybe MA can do like most other NE states and have coaches coach their team all year long. MIAA doesn't allow this. Also we can start our season earlier like other NE states as well.

Not having hydration testing isn't an advantage. MA still has to receive a doctor note on the 7% body fat like all other states.

Passing a hydration test in November doesn't stop a kid from sucking to a weight class he wants to wrestle in. The advantage maybe could be stated if the hydration testing took place and then post season next weekend. But over three months kids will be at weight classes they want to wrestle at.

I doubt NE's would toss out MA, the numbers and spectator fees wouldn't generate the amount of money weanted by those running the tournament.

cradleman1952
Tue Oct 10 2006, 12:36PM
Registered Member #278
Amen Manny.
sjp
Tue Oct 10 2006, 12:37PM
Registered Member #1421
Also MIAA spoke with NMCA prior to waiver vote. All are on the same page. They didn't go against anyone's backs.

As Ray said, hopefully this will allow all coaches to be properly educated and allow the process to be tweeked and done properly the first time, so hopefully there won't be a neccesity for change later.
dbreen
Tue Oct 10 2006, 03:29PM
Registered Member #2315
The "plus three" rule (morning weigh-ins) is a direct violation of federation rulrs. The MIAA decided they liked the rule so they ignored the federation then, so I don't see any trouble coming when they ignore them now.
eoghanjames
Tue Oct 10 2006, 04:24PM

Does the federation get, that hydration testing does not work?

I think most Coaches who are familiar with this hydration testing, know that it is just an obstacle to overcome and does not really address the problem it is intended to address.

Dnowa, do ya knowa what i mean?
dnowa
Tue Oct 10 2006, 07:20PM
Registered Member #4263
while some NE states do start earlier, CT is on same start date (first Monday after Thanksgiving) and has similar rules regarding coaching during the off-season. the problem is not the hydration component--the problem is that the NFHS rules is open to considerable interpretation when it comes to the 1.5% weekly reduction. as currently stated in the rules, it is a weekly average. because many states are now eliminating or modifying the 50% rule (not sure what Mass stance is regarding having at least 50% of your weigh ins during the season at the min wt at which you may compete for states), but without any form of that rule, there is nothing to prevent a kid at 150 from wrestling all yr at 145 then dropping to 135 just for states, as he would meet the "average" weekly weight loss, but certainly not in the manner in which NFHS intended
eoghanjames
Tue Oct 10 2006, 10:31PM

Are you a Coach? If so, is it lost on you that this is all a farce, including your statements (even though Coach Manny has to do his job to enforce what he must)? Ray had it right in the beginning. See the article Mike posted in general discussion [link] about mat side weigh-in by a long time Ohio Coach, of one of their best school programs. This guy knows the score and talks honestly about it..... College or High School it's all the same ball of wax.

Maybe some do not see it, but I do: Ray is a genius, and in his spare time he "counts cards"....Gotta go, Wapners on, and this is the day they let me fire my "guns", here at the "program" BANG......BANG
cradleman1952
Wed Oct 11 2006, 09:25AM
Registered Member #278
YO!!! EEEEEEFON. HOW ABOUT THEM TIGERS
sjp
Wed Oct 11 2006, 10:11AM
Registered Member #1421
Eoghanjames, you have it right, I'm with Ray on the subject. I think what we have in place has worked fine, It ain't broke don't fix it. I am not in favor of hydration testing, but need to make situation best possible for the coaches association.

Unfortunately the MIAA at some point does have to follow the national rule, and hopefully we can come up with a system that is the model across the country. Something that complies, but isn't ridiculous to follow.

The bottom line as you know, MA is not getting any advantage over the other states, CT included. Kids still need to make weight for matches and post season, and then they have to step on a mat and actually wrestle. It is HS athletics, let the kids bust their ass to compete and have fun doing it. Hopefully most will accomplish their goals along the way.

But the bottom line all that compete in wrestling this season will be better people for it.
eoghanjames
Wed Oct 11 2006, 01:37PM

I am in full agreement on that front Coach. Your approach in having to deliver on something that is less than desirable, has been commendable. I am mostly speaking to someone like DNOWA, who I think does not get it. The national federation should give mat-side weigh-ins serious consideration. If not that, then do accurate body fat testing (skin calipers at the least, water displacement at best, not the Tanita scale) by a truly independent source for weight certification and forget the hydration "thing".

Did not see you at the Big East Meeting last night - Is Danvers still doing a Youth program?

Ray,
I am taking great pleasure in "brutalizing" a co-worker who is a serious Yankees fan - Usually an amiable bloke, I am enjoying having no mercy when it comes to them damn Yankees!
sjp
Wed Oct 11 2006, 02:44PM
Registered Member #1421
I wasn't able to make the meeting last night, 2 sons both having football practice, one until 8, then work at midnight.
Mike Anderson is going to be running the program this year. They are in process of hopefully buying an old mat, and rec. dept. is cooperating with the purchase. Hopefully kids are interested and want to join. I will help when possible with the program.

Hopefully it works out, we need a team in this part of Essex County.
las vegas
Tue Jan 16 2007, 09:57AM
Registered Member #4898
hydration is unimportant the best wretlers perform under the harshest dehydrted conditions if you dont your a wuss
Mike Atlas
Tue Jan 16 2007, 10:51AM

Website
las vegas wrote ...

hydration is unimportant the best wretlers perform under the harshest dehydrted conditions if you dont your a wuss

You're joking right? Someone tell Louden Swain to get a clue here.
central44
Sun Mar 04 2007, 08:45PM
Registered Member #5698
wait, what is this all about, is mass doing the hydration test nexy year?
JBRIGGS285
Sun Apr 15 2007, 10:25PM
Guest how do they do hydration testing?
Mike Atlas
Sun Apr 15 2007, 10:29PM

Website
You'll find out all about it before next season starts. Don't get ahead of yourself now
Jim Maher
Mon Apr 16 2007, 07:42AM

if they aren't working on it now, it ain't happening again next year.
Go to page:          << Previous thread | Next thread >>

Jump:     Back to top

Moderators: Mike Atlas, CoachMiller, The Rankings Team, JMode, Shvarts, eoghanjames, Jim Maher, plm_77, jubele135, Hill Billy, psch, tourneygeek, NE_07, Sam Shames, Chicken Wing Coach, New England Rankings, matchamp99, Nuge
Click to see our RSS feeds available -->
Recent Wrestling Boxscores
see all | submit | rss

02/09/2017----------
Barnstable-40
Plymouth North-15
02/08/2017----------
Weymouth-17
Walpole-52
02/08/2017----------
North Attleboro-51
Oliver Ames-12
Newest Posts
Re: Kyle Snyder wrestling clinic May 20,2017 @ Whittier Tech
Kyle Snyder - Ohio State Buckeyes BIO: http:/...
Posted by Chicken Wing Coach
Mar 29 17 : 17:27

Re: NEW ENGLAND COACHES CLINIC - April 29, 2017
Bio for Harvard head coach Jay Weiss: http://...
Posted by Chicken Wing Coach
Mar 29 17 : 16:57

Re: Spartan HS & K-8 Duals May 6, 2017
bump
Posted by warp57
Mar 28 17 : 15:46

Re: NHSCA FloArena
Nice article at The Open Mat on the biggest u...
Posted by Medic5392
Mar 28 17 : 13:51

Re: NEW ENGLAND COACHES CLINIC - April 29, 2017
Bump
Posted by pzacchilli
Mar 28 17 : 08:02

2017 Ohio Tournament of Champions - April 22
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE------------------------...
Posted by OhioTofC
Mar 27 17 : 17:04

Does BGS brawls have an open division?
Does anybody know? When I went when I was in ...
Posted by MrBlastdoubles
Mar 27 17 : 16:30

Support MassWrestling. Click a link!