Support MassWrestling. Click a link!

Forums
MassWrestling.com :: Forums :: Urgent Announcements

Sad news 
Coach Quinn
Wed Aug 17 2005, 04:10PM
Registered Member #104
Website
With great sadness I wanted to alert the wrestling community that Michael Breau of Natick and head wrestling coach at Hopkington High School, passed away this morning from complications suffered in an accident earlier this month. I will post more information about arrangements as they become available. This is a great loss to anyone who knew Mike and also to the wrestling community.

Brian Quinn
LS wrestling
Telephone
Fri Aug 19 2005, 03:13AM
Registered Member #164
Wrestling coach, 26, dies from injuries
By Norman Miller / Daily News Staff
Friday, August 19, 2005

NATICK -- When Michael Breau wrestled at Natick High School, his strong body and even stronger will helped him win more than 100 matches.

That same strong body and strong will helped him fight injuries he suffered in a motorcycle crash for nearly a month, but Wednesday he lost the fight and died. He was 26.

"He hung in there for three or four weeks," said his father, Francis Daigle. "Perfection is what he liked. Basically the guy made one mistake in his life -- he maybe rode his bike too fast one night."

Breau was injured in a July 21 crash when he lost control of his Suzuki 900 on Cottage Street. Daigle said Breau suffered damage to his lungs that led to him developing acute respiratory distress syndrome, which killed him.

"He was a very nice guy, a great guy," said his mother, Laurie Daigle. "He loved life. He was a best friend to his best friends. I want him to know his mother loves him more than anything in the world. He was dying to get married and to have children. He would have been a great father."

Besides his family, Breau's greatest love in life was wrestling. He was a four-year wrestler at Natick High School, where he was a three-time sectional finalist and state tournament finisher. He was also a three-time member of the Massachusetts National wrestling team, and he wrestled for a year at Bridgewater State College.

He was also a volunteer assistant coach for two seasons at Natick under his coach, Bob Anniballi.

"I would be saddened if any of my former wrestlers died, but it hurts more it being Mike because I had him for four years and as an assistant," said Anniballi. "I was closer to Mike than I was a typical wrestler. It was more than your typical student/coach relationship.

"There's no doubt he was one of the most successful wrestlers we've ever had at Natick High."

This past season was Breau's first as head coach of the Hopkinton High School wrestling team, after three years as an assistant.
He was well liked by the team, last year's captain, Eric DeWolfe said.

"He was the nicest guy you'd ever expect to have as a coach," said DeWolfe, who will wrestle at Roger Williams University in the fall. "I would have no one to wrestle with, and he would get out there and wrestle with me, and I did awesome last year. It was a complete 180 for me. I owe it all to him."

DeWolfe said Breau would help in any way possible, even coming out on a Sunday to help the team, which was practicing by itself. After matches, members would all go to a house, relax, watch videos and just talk.

When Breau died, DeWolfe took it upon himself to tell the rest of the wrestlers.

"Everyone was completely devastated," said DeWolfe. "I called them, and they would be paralyzed. I thought they hung up because they didn't talk. They couldn't muster up the words right off the bat."

Former Hopkinton Athletic Director Aaron Polansky, who hired Breau as an assistant coach, and current AD Eric Karjel both praised Breau's work with the team.

"Mike was a tell-it-how-it-was kind of guy," said Polansky. "He had a nice way of putting things, whether it was or good or bad, he would tell you, but he would do it in a way not to offend you. The kids really liked him. He had a nice way about him."

Karjel said, "He was a great young guy. He was a guy who really related well to the kids. It's a devastating blow. Our thoughts are with his family. He was a young guy with a lot going for him."

Breau's aunt, Louise Plesha, said there was no way friends and family could describe what he meant to people.

"It's hard to say what he was about," said Plesha. "He was a gentle soul."
Coach Quinn
Fri Aug 19 2005, 11:34AM
Registered Member #104
Website
Arrangements for Michael Breau

A funeral Mass will be celebrated Monday, Aug. 22, at 10 a.m., at St. Patrick's Church, Natick.

Burial will follow in St. Patrick's Cemetery in Natick.

Visiting hours are Sunday, Aug. 21, from 4 to 8 p.m., at the John Everett and Sons Funeral Home, 4 Park St., at Natick Common.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Michael A. Breau Scholarship Fund, care of The Natick Federal Savings Bank, 49 Main St., Natick, MA 01760.
Go to page:          << Previous thread | Next thread >>

Jump:     Back to top

Moderators: Mike Atlas, CoachMiller, The Rankings Team, JMode, Shvarts, eoghanjames, Jim Maher, plm_77, jubele135, Hill Billy, psch, tourneygeek, NE_07, Sam Shames, Chicken Wing Coach, New England Rankings, matchamp99, Nuge
Click to see our RSS feeds available -->
Recent Wrestling Boxscores
see all | submit | rss

02/09/2017----------
Barnstable-40
Plymouth North-15
02/08/2017----------
Weymouth-17
Walpole-52
02/08/2017----------
North Attleboro-51
Oliver Ames-12
Newest Posts
Re: 2017 Women's/Girls Wrestling event calendar
K-12 Precision Valley Classic GIRLS VT State ...
Posted by GreenMtnMom
Feb 20 17 : 12:17

Re: 2016-2017 Youth Tournament Schedule
Springfield VT tournaments on March 4th:K-8 S...
Posted by GreenMtnMom
Feb 20 17 : 12:15

TOURNAMENTS IN SPRINGFIELD, VT - MARCH 4th
Please add the following two tournaments in S...
Posted by GreenMtnMom
Feb 20 17 : 12:13

Re: 2017 Off-Season Events Schedule
New forum for VT Wrestling: http://vermontwr...
Posted by GreenMtnMom
Feb 20 17 : 12:12

All State Practices
DWC will be holding practice for all wrestler...
Posted by LoganDWC
Feb 19 17 : 20:48

Re: 2016-17 MIAA Post Season Tournament Links
Happyman44 wrote ...w1nbyp1n wrote ...All sta...
Posted by w1nbyp1n
Feb 19 17 : 20:41

North Attleboro JV Tournament is CLOSED
Sorry everyone,The event is FULL.We will NOT ...
Posted by North_Coach
Feb 19 17 : 20:37

Support MassWrestling. Click a link!